New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: well i reloaded  (Read 172 times)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
well i reloaded
« on: December 26, 2018, 09:56:48 PM »
30 round of 222 tonight using imr 4320 at 23.5 grain with a 50 grain horney sx bullet we will see how they shoot

--09--0                          @--0--0138
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: well i reloaded
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 04:19:15 PM »
Dave   Years ago I had a 788 Rem in 222. I don't remember the charge weight but I used IMR 4198 powder in it with the Hornady SX too. That rifle is what got me interested in shooting small groups. The 1st time I shot a 3 shot group under an inch was with that rifle. If I remember correct a 50 gr bullet was about 3000 fps. A very accurate and pleasant cartridge to shoot.

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:10:39 AM »
Dave - Welcome to my world...LOL...have been reloading since about 71 or 72....

About reloading, one thing is to keep you targets....put all the data on them and scan your targets in and save them as a Jpeg or a PDF format.....you won't be sorry....
Before the football games will have to clean a couple of rifles this morning.....

Good brass, good bullets, lighter trigger pull (say under 3 lbs, most of mine are 2 to 2.5 lbs pull) and attention to detail will make and good reloader...

You will find yourself spending more and more on it...a good chronograph will help as well...my first Chrono was a Oehler 33 later on added the printer, the upgraded to the 35P, then the Magneto-Speed and the latest is the Labradar (the first series, without the bluetooth, also have added a power bank for it...the LabRadar eats up the batteries so this power bank or station really helps and it does last a long time......

You reloaded your first batch of 222, congrats...the more the merrier when it comes to reloading...I generally clean my rifle and I am about half way though, after the super bowl will start on the reloading which means resizing the brass and doing the case prep....you will find that it takes you longer for the case prep than it takes for the reloading itself!! I break my down into two parts, the prep is the most intense part where I look at each piece of brass under the lighted magnifying glass looking for cracks and stress of the brass (I am a slow poke when it comes to reloading, I generally load my loads down so I have little cracks and stress on my brass. What I have learned and read it that I only reload my brass seven times before recycling them...I am sure that I could load them more but the accuracy goes out the window after about 6 or 7 times....

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I'm sure there are a bunch of other folks on TH that reload their own...they are will to help you out too.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »
Good job, Dave, you have the affliction now.  I started reloading back in '81.  Using a Lee loader for 308 win.  Stopped trying to develop a hunting load when I started getting 1-3/8" groups at 100 yds.  Never taken that rifle hunting, since it is not legal for deer in my area.  However, it does a good job on woodchucks.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
Welcome to reloading.  You probably won't save any money but you will shoot more, shoot better, and have fun doing it.

My advice is when working up a load only make one change at a time.  Example: Don't change powder charge and OAL at same time.

Good luck and have fun.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad