New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: After Christmas Hunting....  (Read 1134 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
After Christmas Hunting....
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »
Do here in the South, most guys go hunting and the ladies go hunting also...just different quarries.....Have the truck packed up ready to go with the clothing rain gear...going to be a soggy one (three days)...have change rifles also. Was going to take the expensive 308's, but now will take the 308's down that are rain tested...the old but reliable Remington LTR with the Leupold VX-R will be the main rifle with the Savage LE-1 and the Marlin VX-7 as my back ups..both cost about $500 bucks total that includes the scopes as well...the Savage is a shooter for sure, it shoots 1/2" MOA (on a bad day), have worked on the load for about 3 or 4 years and about 2 years ago it started shooting almost the same hole....this rifle is a shooter for sure...the Marlin is a different story, have a total of $400 in it, the rifle was $200 off of Gunbroker and has a Vortex CF II scope on it, the best (so far) using the 155 gn Bergers is about 1 MOA, will start trying a heavier pill later this year...but for now it shoots 1 MOA...both rifles (the Savage and the Marlin) seems to have similar stocks, no drop box, but internal magazines.....just a plain Jane stock and rifle, both have heavy barrels....

The Remington has been in the family since about 96 and it has been in the rain a lot. It it my go to rifle in the rain, take it apart, dry it out, clean it, clean the barrel and put it back together and give it a good snug on the receiver screws and it will shoot 3/4" MOA all day long...purchased it when I was a member of Knob Creek and made a multi-purpose buy. Bought the rifle with a Tasco SS 16X42 mill dot scope on it, a Bushnell 20-60X spotting camo scope and a Bushnell 600 range finder all for $900!! great deal, the Spotting scope and the range finder were still in their box!! the rifle was a used but at that time could not buy the rifles since I was not in Law Enforcement...but I could buy a used one...LOL...the Leupold VX-R scope is a great scope, no not good but a great scope...it has a red dot illumination. It is a little much power for me, I like to put a 1.5-6X scope on all my heavy barrel 308's and this VX-R is a 3-9X scope, I keep it on 3X all the time, maybe 6X at the range.....and have a neoprene cover (Leupold of course) and will take a cleaning kit down with me this time....

Suppose to be a soggy three days down there and the camp will certainly be muddy...there should be about 5 or 6 of us down in camp for the last main hunt of the year....I have the water (30 gallons) for the dish washing and the shower and the cooking and cleaning effort...we currently have enough paper products down in the cook shack for this year and all of next year, good grief, we have paper products that will last into the early 2020's!!! Will bring back the main ground blind and leave the ladder stands up where they are at. Will also be working on the Black Box Blind (4 ft x 4 ft) a little and hopefully we can set it up by middle of the summer, which means I will need to head South a few more times before work weekend in late August....But once we get it up, will label it as a Club stand, meaning anybody in the club can use it....I will have about a grand in this stand once it is said and done....but you cannot take it (money) with you, can you......

Well Merry Christmas to All and to All a good after Christmas Hunt....LOL....Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: After Christmas Hunting....
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
 @--0--0101   with them  -00-9   ##$%#116   ##$%#1114 
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »
good luck bo- shoot straight ()*$%RT ()*$%RT
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 01:38:18 PM »
Hope you have a great day and a safe hunt .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 05:19:03 AM »
Good luck Bo, be safe out there and stay dry.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 06:26:56 AM »
Have fun Bo
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
Good luck Bo, stay safe and dry out there, soggy down here in Florida too!
Air Force Veteran

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:04:34 PM »
The "After Christmas Hunt" was a good old soggy one... ##$%#117...we got in about a day and a half of hunting then the bottom fell out and it rain, rain and more rain....we did go to Bass Pro Shop in Macon and Cobb Guy bought him a good Bass Pro Shop's Scope to go on his muzzle loader. It came down to the Bushnell and the Bass Pro Pursuit scopes, both were under $130 and when the Pursuit was ranged up, it was only $50!! I would say that it was a good deal to say the least...wow, good deal Cobb Guy....

Hit the road around 7 AM, on the 30th of Dec, knowing that it was going to be a long trip home. Surprisingly it was a "normal" trip back, Passed the Cabela's Store in Acworth, and then another Cabela's store and a Bass Pro shop both in Chattanooga before turning north east and headed for home....

Metalman gave each us old timers a very nice Christmas Present..see the attached picture....what a thoughtful gift...Metalman is such a thoughtful person...like I have plenty of rifles, he has plenty of tools...he has a tool for just about everything!! He is also a EMT and a fireman and worked for the state of GA for a million or so years. Hopefully he will join the ranks of the retire folks...it seems like every year we add one of two more!! But thanks Metalman for the nice gift....it will never see the Hunt club, I will keep it up here and as I write this, it has a cold soda in it sitting right next to me.....

Pulled my game trail cameras out and after I got him saw this joker on one of the cameras. He will be a shooter is about 2 years and as you can tell, he is there and I am not!! think we ended our hunt on the 15th of Nov, and this sucker shows up the next day!! just my luck....but it was a good year, saw over 20 deer from the ground blind and ladder stands that I hunted. All in all it was a good year....beginning to need some meat for the freezer, so I will worry about that when archery season gets here in 2019....wow it is already 2019!! The Primos Ground Blind is located where they are a ton of white oak trees but this year they did not produce very many acorns and hopefully this coming year they will be a bumper crop and that should help..... 

The plans going forward are to located the 3B blind. The three B's for Black Box Blind (the one I won at Auction during Summerblast) finally going to get that up. It is a 4 ft x 4 ft, wish it was 5 ft x 5 ft. will post some pictures after we get it up and working. Will work on some corn feeders this year and start buying some bags of corn and storing them here start hauling them down to GA and stack them up down there...now that it is legal and it should help the does more than the bucks in the area..... 

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »
mice gift for sure. the buck will be good to. sounds like a great year
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »
Yeah Bo, nice gift there from Mr Metalman.  I suspect unless you have some sort of dramatic drought down there, this fall you should have acorns o'plenty in those white oaks if this was an off year.  White oaks tend to bear heavy in alternating years, reds go most years but the deer prefer the whites (up here at least) and they produce far more mast when they're on vs. the reds.  Get that freezer cleaned out & ready!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 02:57:38 PM »
Guys Bo has a honey hole right there.  Bucks are all over that area.  Its a sweet spot.  Sorry that the big one did not show up this year.  Those little one will just get bigger for next year. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 10:26:48 AM »
Nice cup and buck! Good friends make all the difference!

Due to my injury , I am not hunting winter bow  2019 that started on Jan 1.

In a wierd way I am ok with that because, yep, another rainy weekend here!   @--0--0126 Ground is saturated. I expect we will get flood warnings due to streams just getting hammered with rain all this season.

I think the last dry weekends we saw were back in September! --7-8-9
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 12:17:09 AM »
Even though my deer hunting season is over for the 2018 year, there is always something to do. Was and will be in the gun room cleaning them and looking at them carefully and giving them a good once over...just trying to kept them ready for the range. Check the loads, how many do I have, how many times has the brass been resized, which ones needs the necks annealed. The other day just got in some Barnes TTSX bullets (in a few calibers) along with a ton of cleaning supplies. There is always something to do when it comes to hunting.

You got to put in your range time in also...the rifles I used this year will head to the range with me to see if I would have nailed that big buck if he showed up when I was there (The picture of this years nice buck, I had just left the day before!!). Have taken inventory on the 10+ rifles I have to load for this year....will go through my scopes, binoculars (Lord I don't need any of them!!), spotting scopes, rangefinders (may have to get one of those 3000 to 4000 yards ones and .3 seconds response time). Just today went through my hunting clothes and sort them out....I am in good shape with them....

Yes, Deerhead is right, there is always a buck or two in the area where I hunt at. Game trial cameras revealed that there are a lot of button buck and spikes in the area. I saw over 20 deer this year in the limited time I hunted this year. And next year maybe the acorn crop will be much better. There are an awful lot of white oaks trees in the area...I have a ladder stand and a blind in the area now and plan on putting a Black Box Blind up near a food plot in a few months....got to get material for the platform. have sort of been buying them as needed but putting on two new roofs in the last three years has sort of taken priority!! hopefully that is behind us now and can focus on materials for the platform....Will take a trip to my Local Home Depot for the bulk of the materials on this Monday.....also need to put some limb cutters in my day pack and do the tree trimming and open up shooting lanes near the ground blind....

Flint - think you are right, it has been a wet year!! All year round!! Hopefully the weather will be more corporate this year!! Had my knee replacement surgery right after I got back from my second African Safari and I have learn to adapt...both Split Toe and Deerhead have been the benefactors of my Portable Deer Stands. These Climbers are the best ones that I used but due to my knee replacement surgery and all the problems I had with them, I had to give the climbers away. Have learn to adapt and use ladder and ground blinds....We need to look at Ground Blind Maintenance...the weather can take a toll on them! Have two that I am in need of repairs......but that is a different topic for a different day....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad