New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: have rust on a guns  (Read 206 times)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
have rust on a guns
« on: December 24, 2018, 11:25:56 AM »
tell me what stuff I need to clean it.  one gun need a lot of work and the others just a touch up

stuff as cleaner any brushes or other things I might need   I have 0000 steel wool

and go with info
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: have rust on a guns
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
Dave - Any heavy duty oil should do the trick, when it happens to me I use the 4/0 steel wool plus break free and heavy duty teflon based oil....they will let it dry over night then will make sure the surface is dry and clean before applying Birchwood Cold Gun Blue (or similar products check out Midway USA for other bluing products), let it dry and then use the steel wool on the Blued surfaces, repeat the process until satisfied......it seems like I have to do this after every hunting season....

As many rifles as I own, I have used this technique for years and years...we are talking about surface rust and not deep scratches or dings on the barrel or action??
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:39:24 PM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 06:22:40 PM »
Dave - tell us more - - light surface rust or some actual pitting?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 07:11:31 PM »
Dave - With the upcoming annual after Christmas Hunt down in GA, the weather forecast is soggy one, they are calling for 90% and 100% chances of rain. I was going to take down some nice rifles with me, like the McWhorter, Colt-Cooper, Kimber. But have changed my mind due to the amount of rain they are calling for. Going to take down some less expensive rifles and will check them over when the season is over, surely they will get some surface rust on them, because of all the rain, so I will check them closely and will only use one (Remington 700 LTR with the Leupold 3-9 VX-R scope)...already have some fingers cut out to go over the end of the barrel...to protect against mud and the rain......looks like a wet week and weekend coming up.....

So will have the steel wool with me and the break free, just in case......

Dave - Like Tree asked, is it surface rust of something worst??
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 08:05:52 PM »
two are lite surface the other is a little bit more will try and post a picture of it

dave 1211

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
here are two pictures

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »
Dave - I would think about ordering you a new barrel, that is some major surface rust..Wow, that is a lot of rust...I was thinking it was a minor surface rust but that is some serious rust...wonder what the inside of the barrel looks like...Find someone with a bore scope to check out what the inside look like..... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 06:36:32 AM »
Dave try some WD-40 and fine steel wool first. For the heavy stuff WD-40 and a penny. Use the penny to lightly rub the spots I think you will be surprised at the outcome.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »
Per Bo's comment, you'll want to check out the bores carefully.  BT's WD-40 and fine steel wool suggestion is good, also see if you can find some Flitz polish.  Looks like you'll need to reblue regardless. Were these stored in the case?  Take a look at all of your guns, give them a rubdown with oil to make sure you head off additional projects.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 11:00:21 AM »
I once got an old single shot shotgun that someone had left out in the rain.  Original intention was to get it professionally reblued, but the cost was higher than the value of the gun. So I took some fine emery cloth to the barrel and got it down into almost all white metal.  Wiped it down with alcohol and sprayed with a rattle can. To this day, the metal is rust free. The paint is not all that durable, but it has prevented new rust. Something like using cerakote may be worth a try. Just my 2 cents worth.  I never pursued the issue of completely redoing the shotgun, as it needs new internal parts, and spares are not readily available. When fired, the shotgun opens up on its own.  Very disconcerting.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad