New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: need a new protector  (Read 435 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
need a new protector
« on: December 23, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »
20 years ago I borrowed my dad's S&W .357 for a sidearm at the cabin. bears, yotes, wolves... the other day he asked for it back. i'm not kidding! he wants to give it to my sister in ID for protection on her walks. for some reason he thinks she can't buy her own, so I guess I need a new pistol. after 20 years, I don't get it. but, he's been doing some odd things these days @--0--0117 @--0--0117

I think i'm going semi-auto. any thoughts? .40 or .45? apparently, .357 isn't an option for semi auto unless I want to take out a mortgage. it will be on my side all day when at the cabin so weight/comfort is a consideration. 5-6" barrel is what i'm thinking. 1911 model probably

i'm wide open for ideas. i'm looking for positives and negatives anyone has heard of or experienced
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: need a new protector
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 06:22:08 AM »
.45 1911 and a light weight shoulder holster is the way to go, the weight is distributed over the upper torso and not hanging on the hip/waist and pulling your pants down. With the shoulder holster the firearm is out of the way when working or playing and can be concealed with a light shirt or jacket over it without worrying about the length of the barrel/holster being exposed with a OWB holster.

PS: Bears hate the .45 cal. it hurts too much and makes big holes in their rug.  --099-780 --099-780
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 07:36:12 AM »
I'm with Gutshot, I would go with the .45 also.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:46:12 AM »
Yari     The 1911 is a great handgun. I carry one a lot in a high ride hip holster. I would consider a 10 mm with the size of bears you have in your area. Find a hard bullet that still expands. I have a springfield armory 1911 "loaded" in 45 acp in the smaller framed commander size. it makes it easier to carry and less of a burden at the end of the day. The hardball 45 acp ammo does not expand and I have had to track rabbits I've shot with them. I have a pancake holster screwed to the inner foot well of my Ranger and the 45 is carried there a lot during the year.      I still like to carry revolvers  when i'm walking in the woods scouting or shed hunting. A 4 inch model 66 in .357 is my choice but in bear concentrated areas or when bear baiting  I carry a 6 inch model 29 44 mag. The holster should be as much of a consideration as the handgun because it has to be comfortable to carry or you wont carry it.       I have a couple shoulder holsters I use for my revolvers but my autos are carried on my hip.    This is just the way I do it and it works for me but you will have to see what works for you.   I don't own a 10mm yet but if I was in the market for a semi auto to carry in bear country this would be my choice. take your time and enjoy the search.

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 10:33:45 AM »
not- good info. I have a .44 for hunting and baiting. ruger super redhawk stainless. it's a great gun, but not for everyday use. way too heavy and bulky w/ the scope.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »
Yari - lots of good comments in here from the others.  I would vote for the .45 over the .40, there are many many configurations to select from these days in the good old .45 ACP rather than just the 1911 of 100 years ago.  With that said, I have a 1911 and really like it but for a carry gun at the cabin I am with Gutshot on the shoulder holster recommendation.  I have an OWB belt holster for mine but when I'm out working it's in the way (especially on the tractor) and not comfortable with that hefty of a pistol.  I have a very well made shoulder holster for my Ruger P89 which also fits my 1911 pretty well, so if I'm going to be out working and want to carry it, that's what I would use.  The resurgence of the .45 ACP in the last 10 years or so seems to be pushing the .40 to the shadows - I just don't see many any more as people seem to be choosing the .45 or the 9mm unless they really want something compact like a .380.  And as Not suggests, think about the ammo you want to have in it - probably not ball, or if so maybe alternating it with some hot hollow points? 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 09:36:02 PM »
OK, 2 for shoulder holster and one for hip. i'm planning on a hip holster for working. it will be more out of the way IMO. the shoulder holster I have for my 44 wouldn't work well for working around the cabin

keep the ideas and opinions coming. I won't be making a fast decision. I won't need it until I go to the cabin this spring
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
Yari     I spend time in the woods with a couple buddies that carry semi autos in shoulder holsters. The barrels point out behind them. I won't follow them in the woods. There is a gun shop not to far from me and the employees carry handguns while on the job. One of the employees carrys 2 semi autos in a double shoulder holster pointing out behind him. I think that is crazy and won't stand behind him either. I prefer a holster that points down. JMO

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 07:38:44 AM »
Yeah, I have a shoulder holster for my Super Blackhawk too, with the 7.5" barrel that thing just isn't convenient in that position.  The 1911 or P89 however works well.  You will probably need to test drive a couple and see what you like.
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
Get  454 Raging Bull!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 02:11:53 PM »
Get  454 Raging Bull!

there you go. i will carry it around w/ a wagon instead of a holster--099-780
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »
well. the time came and my dad decided to take the .357 gift back and give it to my sister. I can't believe he really did it, but as his age advances i'm not surprised at anything. from now on, i'm going to tell him I no longer have what he wants back. he took back a JD ATV trailer a few years back that I needed to replace. this is getting to be his routine

anyway, today I picked up my S&W SD9 VE. it is almost the exact same gun as a glock. as a matter of fact, some parts are interchangeable and S&W got sued by glock. i'll let you know how it shoots. I really like the sight. it has 2 white dots on the rear sight and another white dot on the front sight. it should be easy for sight acquisition.

oh, I almost forgot. the 357 came back w/ my dad. my sister didn't want it. if she wanted a pistol she would use her husband's pistol. family is priceless --099-780 --099-780 I love dad to death, but sometimes I wonder where his mind is @--0--0117 @--0--0117
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 05:04:03 PM »
I forgot the best part! as we were doing the paperwork, this steroid head comes in and asks for a Taurus 606. they didn't have one so he walks away. he was some roided up he could barely breath. 10 minutes later he comes back and asks how much to order one. both people were working to get my paperwork out(computer issues plus the fleet farm guy really likes to BS took over an hour) they sad they would help him in a minute. long story short, he went nuts, felt slighted and stormed off just before the emergency police button was pushed. I was looking for any sort of club I could use. I've seen way too much roid rage to know a weapon is needed. i'm sure glad it didn't get to that ##$%#115

It takes all kinds I guess. this was not a guy that should own a gun --7-8-9 --7-8-9
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 07:18:46 AM »
Yeah, you might need something more stout than Robert's turkey stick for that guy.  But hey, you were at the farm store, they have pitchforks!

Congrats on the new acquisition, and the reacquisition of the .357 too!  You can pick your friends, but not your family Chris, it is what it is.
 @--0--0133
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad