New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 222 brass  (Read 125 times)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
222 brass
« on: December 20, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »
I am reload for my 222 Remington the brass I have is 25 years plus. what brass would you say I should look at I will be using the gun for wood chucks and coyotes
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: 222 brass
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:25:10 PM »
That brass is probably still plenty usable unless it has a bunch of corrosion or a high reload count on it already, but if you need some the options are plentiful.  I was in a pinch and bought some Starline pistol brass a year or so ago - was relatively cheap but so far seems to work well.  On the high end you could check out Lapua or Nosler, and then all sorts of stuff in between.  Depending on how much you intend to shoot, you can also pick up a few boxes of factory loads & reload those after you burn through them - - buy one brand and consistent lot numbers so you have a good chance of getting the same lot of brass.  Hornady, Remington, and Winchester brass are all decent.  The only factory loads I ever had concerns with when reloading are Fiocchi (primer holes were typically off center by a good amount) and some Winchester Supreme which had nickel plated cases that didn't like the resizing process very much and also had a tendency for neck cracking.  I'll stick with plain old brass going forward.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 03:27:30 PM »
Dave - I agree with Mad....you should always have alighted magnifying glass and look/inspect at each piece of the brass before you loaded it up or discard it....

One thing that I do is to keep a dry pack, you know the kind you get with small items, they are about an inch square, or something similar...I always keep my door close and a pack or two open of the Damp Rid products, when I go to Home Depot, I always pick up a box of them....heck I was in there on Monday and bought another box of the stuff, my have about 8 unopened boxes of the stuff. Have a couple of boxes of the damp rid down in the camper and will always change out the package every time I go down to the club...

But stick with brass and like Mad had trouble with the nickel brass so I don't even resize it...After the first resizing, the nickel brass is OK, but you got to get past that first initial resizing....I do have a ton of nickel brass and keep them separate from the regular brass......But brass is brass, if you have kept it out of the weather and in a dry place, you should be OK with it...heck I have some 7x57 brass from the late 30's, the reason why I know it is from the time period it has the Germany Nazi Swastika stamped into it!! 

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 07:14:46 PM »
Dave, I don't know if you're full length sizing or using a whackamole Lee loader.  Continued firing and resizing will workharden the brass, and cause split necks.  You can prolong the life of the brass by annealing the necks, and the necks only.  You don't want to soften the bases at all.
You can anneal the necks by standing the empty cases in a pan of water, and heat the necks with a propane torch, until the necks are red hot, then tip them over into the water.  Try it with a few, to start out.  You could also take. 223 brass and resize it with your regular sizing die.  You will have to trim to lenght and  chamfer the cut edges. You will also have to check neck thickness, after seating one bullet.  Just compare the outside neck dimension of the reformed case, versus a factory round.  Too thick a neck in a tight chamber can pinch the bullet and not release it, leading to a chamber overpressure. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 09:58:22 PM »
 ##$%#13   @--0--0129   ##$%#15  I had asked this last year sorry
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

New Page 3

Google Ad