New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Rain  (Read 622 times)

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
Re: Rain
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »
To say it's been wet in NW Florida is an understatement. I've had to move a feeder twice to get it out from a standing water area that used to be dry ground. Then on top of that ended up getting stuck in an area I've had no problem driving through before when it was wet but evidently it turns into quick sand when it gets completely saturated!
Air Force Veteran

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
wow, that puppy is buried!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 05:56:31 PM »
been there, done that. all you can hope your tow strap is long enough
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 10:17:21 PM »
And that your boots are tall enough . . .
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 08:39:20 AM »
And that your boots are tall enough . . .

that never happens. who are you kidding --099-780
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2018, 02:02:54 PM »
Viking, looks like you're enjoying the wet woods, too!  We had an additional 2.6" yesterday and last night.  Looks like y'all probably got more according to the radar yesterday.
You can't beat a good jack if you're stuck in the woods by yourself.  I see you have yours ready to go to work.  Back when we ran the little Jeeps in the woods we hardly ever stayed stuck very long.  Back then the jacks were all made by Handyman, then came the Highlift.  I have a Handyman that was given to me for my 21st birthday by my wife.  She bought it at Orlando Livestock Market back in 1967, I still have her and the jack. :)
A big block of wood for the base to sit on, jack the jeep up, push it off the jack onto "fresh ground", go to the front and do the same thing and off you go!  Until you get in another bog.  The trucks nowadays are a bit heavy to do like we did back then, now it's one wheel at a time and slide something under each wheel.  We used to carry 4' pieces of aluminum landing mat for that purpose.  I'm too old to be having that kind of fun now. ##$%#1119
Enjoyed see the pictures!
Treefarmer

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »
Wow, how long did it take to get out of that muck?
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
Viking, looks like you're enjoying the wet woods, too!  We had an additional 2.6" yesterday and last night.  Looks like y'all probably got more according to the radar yesterday.
You can't beat a good jack if you're stuck in the woods by yourself.  I see you have yours ready to go to work.  Back when we ran the little Jeeps in the woods we hardly ever stayed stuck very long.  Back then the jacks were all made by Handyman, then came the Highlift.  I have a Handyman that was given to me for my 21st birthday by my wife.  She bought it at Orlando Livestock Market back in 1967, I still have her and the jack. :)
A big block of wood for the base to sit on, jack the jeep up, push it off the jack onto "fresh ground", go to the front and do the same thing and off you go!  Until you get in another bog.  The trucks nowadays are a bit heavy to do like we did back then, now it's one wheel at a time and slide something under each wheel.  We used to carry 4' pieces of aluminum landing mat for that purpose.  I'm too old to be having that kind of fun now. ##$%#1119
Enjoyed see the pictures!
Treefarmer

The area I was in is about 6 miles South of Ebro off Hwy 79! I tried with the jack for a while but couldn't get it out, could lift the wheels up but didn't have enough larger logs to get under the tires to lift me out of the muck. Had my wife pick me up by the Highway (She was not happy, City girl)! The next day went back down with my buddy and his 4x4 Dodge. We took some 2x6's along too, lifted the tires up, put the 2x6's under the tires and then with a tow strap he was easily able to pull me out!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 12:24:50 PM »
Back to the subject of too much rain. I recently returned from a hunt near Goodman, MS and let me just say it was a mess. The day we arrived and tried to go out and hunt in the afternoon we couldn't reach 90% of the stands on the 500+ acres we had access to due to the Big Black River flooding most of the land. Culvert area with a rock bridge over a creek had 3' of fast moving water over it. By late the next day the river had dropped back down into it's banks and we could access all the hunting property again. The problem was everywhere you walked you had to deal with walking through muck with 6-8 inches of standing water. My water proof hunting boots failed this challenge and leaked considerably so I spent 4 days with wet feat, luckily my feet stayed mostly warm but still walking around with wet feet sucks.

I'm going back up in 10 days for a 5 day hunt and this time my feet will be dry. Ordered some Lacrosse AeroHead 18" 7mm Neoprene rubber boots that will be here tomorrow! There's rain in the forecast twice before I go back up there so it will be wet but my feet will be dry!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 07:48:44 AM »
Here comes the rain, 100% chance of rain forecast for the Fort Walton Beach area tomorrow! Go figure, we had a few nice days this work week with sunny weather and highs ranging in the upper 50's to low 60's and now a washout for Saturday and then a blustery 49 for a high on Sunday with NW winds at 20-30 mph!
Air Force Veteran

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 08:00:47 AM »
Here comes the rain, 100% chance of rain forecast for the Fort Walton Beach area tomorrow! Go figure, we had a few nice days this work week with sunny weather and highs ranging in the upper 50's to low 60's and now a washout for Saturday and then a blustery 49 for a high on Sunday with NW winds at 20-30 mph!
##$%#15  for the rain would take it as we are going to get 12 to 20 inches of snow and then below zero temp Saturday and sunday
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 09:34:40 AM »
##$%#15  for the rain would take it as we are going to get 12 to 20 inches of snow and then below zero temp Saturday and sunday

Yeah I saw that, coldest weather of the season so far for the Midwest and Northeast!
Air Force Veteran

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 07:40:10 AM »
The panhandle has had enough soaking!

The big snow missed us but what fell is to hard pack freeze later today. I am heading  out in a bit to plow my driveway before the cold snap.

My last season, so I hope, of dealing with the winter up here!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 08:20:59 AM »
About 1-1 of slush. Glad I got it done before the cold snap would have turned it into an ice skating rink!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project