New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Had an opportunity to try something new today  (Read 88 times)

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Had an opportunity to try something new today
« on: December 17, 2018, 07:39:42 PM »
A guy I used to work with recently bought a Barrett in .50 BMG (M82) and needed some help getting his scope installed so had him bring it over today.  He got a Nightforce 4X14 with a 30mm tube for it.  He bought some sturdy medium height rings (6 screws per ring) and we couldn't clear the folding rear sight so had to remove that (somewhat of a hassle), but otherwise the install went smoothly.  Bore sighted it and then set up on my deck to dial it in at 100 yds.  Found the paper on the first shot, then proceeded to walk it in.  He & I took 4 shots each.  Recoil was really not what I expected - I had a t-shirt & sweatshirt on, and really didn't have any issues. This gun weighs 30 pounds, so that helps a great deal in taming the recoil. The thing is a beast to hold - definitely needs to be on a bag or bipod to shoot.  You can tell you're shooting a powerful weapon. The percussion wave around the shooter is incredible, especially if you're standing off to the side.  Can't imagine what it would be like for GIs in action around a guy with Ma Deuce on full auto.

Have no significant desire to own one, but it was fun to give it a go nonetheless.  Will try to find a time to take him down to bro-in-law's place this spring to see how it does at long range.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Had an opportunity to try something new today
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:51:05 PM »
that is a big toy. sounds like a fun day. I can't believe it didn't kick that much. that's a big bang
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:04:35 PM »
Here's a picture of the .50 BMG casing vs a .223.
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:08:20 PM »
That's a nice gun . ya it has a shock absorbers on the barrel and another one in the butt stock plus the muzzle brake , tames it pretty much .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 10:08:36 PM »
Nice Rifle, a little bit heavy for deer hunting?? what do ya think?? try pulling that into the ladder stand with you... ##$%#117

I own a Model 99 and bot it back in 10, bought it used for about $2500, single shot, weights about 25 lbs empty put the scope (Leupold 6.5-20 VX3) and it cost about $5 per shot....ouch...they have band it from the range where I shot and the biggest rifle I can take is a 338 Lapua (have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 4.5-30X - 50mm Objective, 30mm tube, Illuminated)....I tell you that I get the 750 gn bullets from one source here at home and started with 40 rounds ($200) and then quickly keep about 100 rounds for it, do not have any tracers in the ammo and don't reload the shells. Would cost another $1000 for the press (Super Rock Chucker!!)and dies, shell holder for it...the darn thing shoots incredible accurate with "factory" ammo...bought it locally here in East Tennessee who purchased it from Barrett in Murfreesboro TN....

Sure would nice to have a 416 Rem in the Barrett! What do you guys think..... --09--0

How much did the M82 Kick??, When I first got it, took it to the range and it blew off folks stuff from the benches three rest each way...the 338 Lapua blows two positions each way. Just think it only a matter of time before they band that rifle also....That is a cool gun to own, but have not fire it in over a year...

Took the 338 Lapua down to the Ga Hunt Club about two years ago and let everybody shoot it that wanted to shoot it.....Split Toe shot it and it kicks bout like a 30-06 does....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:31:27 PM »
Yeah Bo, that muzzle brake pushes a heck of a lot of blast sideways and just the shock wave from the shot itself will move a lot of air.  First time Charlie shot, I could hear all sorts of things (shingle gravel) coming down into the gutters over the porch.

The kick was very manageable.  As Sundowner said, you've got that heavy barrel coming back as you fire, plus the brake, plus a nice buttpad.  That and 30 pounds of mass keeps it relatively calm.  I would say my 7mm mag or my 12 gage firing 3" slugs both pound me harder than the Barrett did. 

But no - I can't see taking that thing into the woods on a hunt.  If I was situated overlooking a nice long valley though, with no one in the line of fire, it could be a lot of fun for yotes & other vermin as you sit out there on your deck enjoying the sunset!
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:50:02 PM »
Saw one of the hunting shows us one on American buffalo , worked fine but the one shooting it was 6' 7" and well over 200# .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 06:04:29 AM »
The year before I bought the M99, saw this off brand at a local gun show, it was the size of a regular rifle, had the big blast break at the front, and the barrel was heavier than normal....it had a Leupold Scope on it and a laminated stock, bipod and was sitting on a table all by itself, calling to me, "take me home, please take me home"...I am only a cash & carry type person and sort of glad I did not have a CC with me, I purposely left it at home. If I had not, the $2700 rifle would have come home with me and answered it's calling!!

After the show came home and started studying about the 50 caliber and purchase the M99, (Series E) previous owned, about a year later...I had to sneak the big boy into the house. Took a lot of sneaking...LOL...

Have seen some 338 Lapua on a few hunting shows and would have to be at one end of our property and have a clear shot on a deer at the other end of it...Wow, I will need to shoot it this spring for sure.....talking about the Barrett....

Sundowner you are right, it takes a big person, like a football player, a lineman, to shoot the rifle like it is intended to be shot!!
Madgomer - That is funny that you say that, I had no idea of the blast that it had before I shot it...Holy Cow....when I take the 338 Lapua to the range, I will wait until there is no one or only a few other folks on the range before pulling the 338 Lapua out....will do the same for the Barrett M99......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad