New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hornady superformance in 260  (Read 153 times)

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
Hornady superformance in 260
« on: December 15, 2018, 07:30:16 PM »
Has anyone tried Hornady Superformance in a 260? Looking to load some 123 grain SST bullets using Hornady Superformance but can't find any good data for a starting loading. Would appreciate any info. Thank you.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Hornady superformance in 260
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »
Gobi,
I played around with some Superformance in a couple of my .223s but despite the high velocities was never happy with the groups.  Was doing a little web surfing based on your question and oddly enough a bunch of guys loading for the .260 have similar experiences to mine.  Seems like RL 16, 22, and 26 are getting favorably mentioned quite a bit here:
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/superformance-in-260-rem.3945388/
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »
Gobi - Nope sure have not, since I reload my own. But accuracy is my goal...let us all know how it works in your 260? Try different ammo in it to get the most out of the rifle.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Accuracy is my #1 goal as well. Accuracy with extra speed is a bonus. If I can't find my formula for  calculating max grains. I will contact Hornady or Hodgon.

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 03:31:09 PM »
Madgomer, I read that article and others like it. I just have to try it. Don't know why just do. If it fails, 4350 is next up

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
Gobi - I reload all of my 260, have done so from the start, and like you, accuracy is my thing, so Varget or AA2015 of a "SC" short cut type powder should work best for you. For me, the IMR and H 4350 is a little to slow of powder for me, but there again, the H4831 that I load for my 243 Winchester, 100 gn Sierra GK works out best for me.

If your shoots a 1/2" MOA then it OK for the woods for me...that is what I am striving for when I work on a new load...Down here in the South, where I hunt, maybe I can see 75 yards at the most, so I have a "hole" where I can shoot here and there...so I have to be accurate.... --09--0

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 10:59:36 AM »
Thanks Bo. I have some Varget. If superformance doesn't work out I will try it. I've been reloading around 35 years so everything I shoot is reloads. I go with 1/2" MOA as well.  Like you I hunt the woods, 81 yards is the farthest  I have shot a deer. Accuracy and one shot kills are my thing.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »
Gobi - Have been reloading ever since 1971 or 72, cannot remember...LOL...it been a while.  Realistically, I have found out that if you shoot 1 MOA you should do fine when it comes to deer hunting and on the range will try to do 1/2 MOA or better at 100 yards, not like Dutch shoots lights out at 500 yards...he is one amazing man...best shot I have ever seen and you know who else is a natural shot, Split Toe....I don't think I have ever seen the guy miss...Deerhead is a deadly shooter when it comes to a compound...Just ask HuntMaster and BugFixer.....but the two guys in our club never miss!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 03:34:10 PM »
Bo - I would say 81 or 82 was when I started reloading. Has helped improve my shooting with a rifle and bow. I started shooting bow when I was 14 but improved a lot when started looking at bow component quality and form when starting reloading. Sounds like we could talk for hours and never run out of things to say.

New Page 3

Google Ad