New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Price of Optics  (Read 1557 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Price of Optics
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »
welcome whathitem. you are right. the quality of optics has really gone up. you can get a real nice pair of binos w/o breaking the bank
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline WhatHitEm

• Fawn
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 01:06:17 AM »
WhatHitEm, welcome to the forum- what kind of stuff are you hunting in Ireland?  Your post sums it up well, it's important to do the research and handle some different options to see what performs best and fits you best in the price range you're working in.
Thanks for the welcome, Madgomer.
Emerald Isle's mountains and the lakes are the best places to hunt here.
I mostly get to hunt down the sika deer or the fallow deer. You can sometimes come across feral sheep too.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 08:51:39 AM »
Sounds great - post a photo or two of the scenery over there sometime.  I haven't been there yet but would love to see it in person one day.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 10:19:18 PM »
Just left and good historical piece on scopes from the Civil War to the Remington 2020 and beyond !!! found an article in the RMEF Bugle May-June 2019 issue.....it goes in to tell you that scope prices are getting higher and higher but so is the quality as well.....just like Whathitem said, but you can still find good quality scopes at reasonable prices...

I have seen folks buy Leupold scope at Garage sales and at gun shops and flea markets for less than half price and then send it back to Leupold for them to check out the scope and to refurbish it.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 06:54:46 AM »
Just got through mounting a Sig-Sauer Whiskey 3 3-9X x 40mm on a 260 Shilen-Savage. The price of the scope was right at $200 and the MSRP was $300, probably made in China or ???...their Whiskey line is.....But not all of their products are made in China, some are out of Japan.....so far so good....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2019, 06:10:52 PM »
Flint - you can always come hunt with us near Macon, GA, bring your Leupold, we have places where you might get a 50 yard shot and places where 1/2 mile is the norm...I know Deerhead has both distances covered with his 270 WSM and Split Toe can use his 257 Wea or his 280 on those distances the Jap51 (we call him the Japster) has built a massive tower that you can see the curvature of the earth and you might need oxygen after you climb up in it...Metalman has the CL the same ones as you do and they are a great pair of binoculars...I almost got a pair of them the same year Metalman got his....

this past year was able to shot 600 yards 3 times, each time taking a different rifle over there with me...You see our 600 yard range is integrated in with our 1000 yard range...and they are thinking about putting a 1500 yard range in...we have the land and so the budget is the big problem now.....Metalman, Cobbguy and myself hunt where our shots are generally under 100 yards, mine are about

Yes I have a pair of EL and got them in the 10x32mm because of the weight you talk about and have a special carrying case where i put the Leica 900 yard rangefinder along with extra battery for the Leica.....you mention Simmons, believe me I am not Simmons fan at all, had to many of them that went very bad, except for the A-Tac series of scope must have been made in Japan not China....

Like you I am extremely grateful for what I have and experience of going through all the rifle scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars, rangefinders that makes up the inventory I have now...believe me when I say that I have been through alot....your Leupold is a great scope and their warranty is second to none...currently I own 37 Leupolds scopes that are mounted and one that is not yet anyway.....

Attached are a few pictures of my scope pile and binocular pile that I took last year....

Wow! Awesome collection! Thatís some serious hardware! I am jealous!

Yes, I would love to join you guys next year. Hopefully I wont need any more body parts to delay that plan --099-780

It would also give me the opportunity to pick up my Turkey mount in Dublin Ga. I paid for it sometime back but never got the chance to pick it up. Almost too afraid to call Knightís Wildlife Studio to see if he still has it.

Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
Flint and Gang - My wife wants me to get a job doing something and I tell her why...she hinting that she would find a job as well for the income....I can see it now a 69 year old guy and a 71 year old Mrs Bo, go to work for the local Kroger....LOL.....don't know how to say this but I have been saving for retirement since I was 23 years old thanks to some wise parents, who both are gone now, their lessons they taught me are doing well these days.....How many times do I have to tell her and show her once (on yes another spreadsheet) that we are doing OK in retirement...she doesn't understand money and always buy generic brands and what's on sale.....thank goodness she doesn't understand money or electricity....LOL...

When we got married some 19 years, 11 months, 15 days, 11 hours and 32 minutes (as of this writing), but who is counting,..LOL....it was her idea to keep the money separate and in separate accounts - her money and my money....but she was working three jobs and getting very little sleep and that quickly changed when she moved into my house. She made my house into our lovely home!! So she supposedly pays for a few things, but not really, she pays for her flowers and that is it...LOL....but I sort of sneak and pay everything else....but she pays in ways that you never see, like keeps the house clean, keeps my pills up to day (thank goodness she is a retire RN) she knows how to pronounce all those weird names of the pills I take, and watches me like a hawk...she keeps on my about my weight, and manners and other things...we make a pretty good team....oh yea, she won't let me work in her yard....my job it to keep her yard tools running!

This is a great saying for all you guys out there and I tell this to Carol almost daily....."You are the good girl that I love, and you are the bad girl of my desires, and you are the naughty girl that I lust for, but the lady that I worship"...it makes her day and if I can make her happy, I can be happy too.....During retirement you will find that it is a year plus to get re-adjusted to each other....

Since that binocular picture I took last August, did buy a couple of more pairs of binoculars for $200 and under....No more spotting scope and think I have mounted one or two of the scopes....

Yes, sure Split Toe and Deerhead would like to have you hunt with us whenever you can and after you get settled in Florida after your retirement and knee replacement surgery....I have been doing some squats lately and it seems like I might be able to re-claim my portable climbers again...I have been exercising doing some leg conditions focusing on the knees and it seems like the older of the two knees replacements is beginning to give a little, I will try them again (in the spring) this time on a pole that I have in the back yard and see what happens...maybe I am just dreaming and can only use the ladder and the ground blinds....at least I am trying.....

It is funny thinking about retirement, I still don't feel old(er) at least I don't act it! --7-8-9

I have to hang in until September 2nd to hit my pension date. It wont be big but better than nothing. Then I have to figure if I can push it to next year to get SS at 100% (66).

My first job was the Supermarket. I worked it from HS thru University. I actually liked it until we got a jerk manager and I said no to the business. I just saw an article on how much COSTCO managers make in a financial magazine, up to $175,000 a year plus stock etc! I know they must be working their butt off to be that high in COSTCO but good for them!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2019, 06:21:47 PM »
WhatHitEm, welcome to the forum- what kind of stuff are you hunting in Ireland?  Your post sums it up well, it's important to do the research and handle some different options to see what performs best and fits you best in the price range you're working in.
Thanks for the welcome, Madgomer.
Emerald Isle's mountains and the lakes are the best places to hunt here.
I mostly get to hunt down the sika deer or the fallow deer. You can sometimes come across feral sheep too.

Welcome to the forum! My mother came from Listowel. I only hunted rabbits in IRE. That would be something to go back and hunt the critters you can hunt there now
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »
We need to talk about the quality and changes in optics as well.....As most of you know I just spent $1500 on a Leupold and Vortex to go on a couple of long range calibers that I had bought and owned. Had a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 and put in on the Savage-Shilen Model 10, in 260 Rem....I do love my Leupold's and now own 41 of them....

In the July Issue of Shooting Times the past and present optic (scopes) were talked about. The first one is from Leupold, it was a FX (Fixed power) of 2.5X. Leupold states that the design has not changed in over 30 years, insisting that the Leupold employees are a serious bunch of hunters up there in Oregon and all over the Northwest region of this Great Country and they wanted a scope that is for short, quick shots and a variable of 3-9X just would not cut it....funny the only two Leupold's that I have sold is both M8 Fixed 6X power, the rest I still own, it is a long story and if I would have had a old FX 2.5X, think I would have had two more wall hangers, but both came up behind me about 20 yards away when I put the scope on them they were too darn close they were fuzzy in the scope, happen of a Tuesday and Friday of the same week about 13 years ago...they were big deer....

But today scope are better quality, even the Chinese scopes are better....most of the Vortex are made in China, not all but most are...some are made in Japan....Today scopes like Revic and Remington 2020 and the Sig Sauer Ballistic XChange Data. This new breed of scope have temperature, elevation, uphill-dowhill-wind sensors built into them...like the rifle you have to chose a bullet and stick with it....for example, I like to shoot the 155 gn Berger, using CCI-BR2, Viht 140 or 540, and Lapua brass, if I want to change to shoot the 168 or 175 gn, I would have to go into my scope and change the parameters (firing solution) of the load, but with the scopes today you can do this quiet easily.....all you need is a USB cable and a laptop....

So are we better off or worst with the new modern scope...and the new scopes will take big chunk of your budget....there is nothing wrong with too much information or is it? But if you hunt down in GA you shots maybe short and quick so where is that 2.5 Fixed Leupold now days....maybe I should invest and start experimenting with it....

Would like to hear everybody thoughts on this what scope do they like, what power you use, is it windy where you hunt, how cold does it get there, how much rain do you get, etc.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2019, 08:22:12 PM »
like you bo, my shots in WI are normally under 100 yards. heck, most are under 50 as I use my bow stands. I have taken one WI buck over 300 yards. the shortest gun buck was 10 yards

as you know SD is totally different and I like the variety. up close and personal is still my favorite
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 06:51:21 AM »
Yari - Started this post but my computer burped and lost my post, so I will try again today.....I know what you mean by most of my shots are under 100 yards, and like you, I do hunt in very thick woods you got to keep your ears opens and your eyes sharp and your rifle a short barrel and your optics very short as well....I have taken on deer at 175 yards and that was back in 1981 and was using an 30-06 (see picture) and the shortest has been about 10 yards taken in 2012 was using a 308 (see picture). most in GA and here in TN has been short distances under 100 yards or in...but in South Africa the ranges from 150 to 250 shots, the picture Impala was taken at 270 yards and was using a 300 WSM. The farthest shot I have even had and made 318 and 340 yards in 20 to 25 mph crosswinds (see picture below)....the rest of the GA deer have been at 50 yards and in and here in TN when I hunted up here for about 15 years was extremely picky about the deer I took...

But the article in July issue of Shooting Times stated that Leupold still makes their 2.5X fixed power scope because they do have a lot of hunter and shooters up in the Northwest region of this great country of ours!! The article went on to say that the basic design has not changed in over 30 years because of Leupold employees insistence that Leupold keeps the design...the only two Leupold that I ever sold was their FX in 6X power. If I would have had their 2.5X scope on a simple 2-7X variable scope on the rifle, I would have had 2 more wall hangers, and I mean both deer were very nice.....but they came up behind me about 10 to 15 yards behind me and if I could have got a clear picture of them in my scope would have taken both of them, but both deer was fuzzy and out of focus, should have pulled the trigger anyway. But one happen on Tuesday and the other happen that same week on Friday!! They were coming down the same path in very thick brush...one I hear a branch break (Tuesday) and the other one I saw (Friday) after that moved my stand around but never saw them again no matter how much time I spent in the it.... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »
if i break down and buy a slug gun for around here, i would get a fixed power. that doesn't look like it will happen, since i would only use it on my folks place. they are getting up there in age and i doubt they will have it much longer. i will just enjoy the old homestead while i can

thx bo. good info
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »
If I was going to buy a slug gun today it would have to be a Savage, not sure if I get the 212 (12 Gauge) or their model 220 (20 gauge)...but the scope would be a low power scope no more than a 2.5X or 4X fixed or a 1.5-6X or a 2-7X x 32 or 33mm Variable. You know that many other manufacturers are looking at the sales of the Savage Slug guns to know whether they proceed in the production of their own slug guns. You can be that Ruger is working on one...the last few years I am impressed with some of their products, but any how, I would stick to a low power scope for sure....but their again their barrels are all about 22" long or some are 24" long, I would like to thicken up the barrel and maybe shorten it up to either 20" or 18" it would be a good slug gun, but the ammo is specialized so you would have to buy factory ammo for it and that could get expensive round about $3 to $4 a round.....

Now having said that back in the day, I bought a Hastings Barrel for one of my BPS shotguns and mounted a fixed 4X power scope on it and when out and purchase a box of Winchester 12 gauge slug ammo, 2 3/4", 1 ounce slug, and the darn thing shot great groups at 50 yards but the did open them up at 100 yards, but a 100 yards in the woods when you would be using slug guns would be a very long shot...but I did like the 2 3/4" better than the 3" loads so I bought about 4 boxes...a few weeks later got a call from a buddy at work saying that they had the 2 3/4" on sale, 10 rounds per box for around $4.99 a box so I bought them all out, about 18 boxes so I do have over 200 rounds of Winchester slugs....LOL....they shoot fine, but never had use it in the woods just the range, I will generally take two muzzle loader down with me with low power variable scopes....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 06:01:18 PM »
I put a 2-7X on my muzzleloader a few years ago and love it.  Naturally I leave it on 2X 95% of the time but for my doe last winter I turned it up to 7X for the 140 yard shot and was glad to have that extra magnification.  That's the longest shot I've ever taken at a deer.  With current shotgun and slug capabilities I'd probably pick the same 2-7X range if I ever go back to the shotgun. When I started we all had smooth bore barrels and Foster style slugs, and feeling confident in your gun at 75 yards could be a challenge.  But today's barrels and sabot slugs make 150 yards very practical once you find a slug offering that your gun likes.  Savage used to recommend the Remington copper solids specifically for their bolt guns.  Brother in law shoots 2 &3/4" Lightfields through his 870 cantilevered barrel with amazing accuracy, not so good with the Remington ammo.  Gotta experiment.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »
The Savage-Shilen in 260 Rem purchased off of Gunborker at the first of this year, I ended up putting the Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 scope on it. It is a 3-9X x 40mm (you standard variable scope) and it has worked out real good, it is very clear and sharp and seems to hold true, Took it to the range and it tracks well and it only cost me around $200 + TN sales tax (another 9.25%). The MSRP price on it was $300 but the local shop I do business with had a special on them, so I picked up one.

The Leupold Freedom (the old VX1 and 2) and the Vortex Crossfire II and the Sig Whiskey 3 were the scopes I was considering mounting on the rifle....of course I put it on a rifle that has little recoil to it....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad