New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Price of Optics  (Read 1520 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Price of Optics
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 07:41:05 AM »
Did not mean to get off topic...but the price of optics are getting wider apart, they are some good bargains out there for under $300 and then they are the best quality of optic that cost over $3000!!!....I have them all from the Swarovski's that run today over $2500 to the Redfield Rebels that run slightly over $100....

Time to do your research is now during this down time of the year, start yourself a spreadsheet on the optic that have an interest in....either a spotting scope, a upgrade to a rifle scope, a back up pair of binoculars or like this year, I will start studying range finders and let you guys know what happening with them.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 07:53:22 PM »
Thanks Bo!

That will be great to get with you and the crew to hunt and yak away in person!

Plan now is to get past surgery, sell house, get to pension date, and then see if there is enough fuel in the engine to get to 66 so SS is at max amount. If I get to October for tiny pension getting to 66 is an option. Only 9 months but getting to the pension date is my biggest target, going to 66, optional!

Interesting to think of my age. Way too many memories but I still fell like a kid (absent all the surgeries LOL)!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 09:44:56 PM »
Flint - Like they say, the 50's just flew by and now in my late 60's and in this coming October will be 70!!! where did the years go??...you will make it, not to worry...just get past the knee (TKR) and do the physical therapy and go from there....get past 66 so that your Social Security will be the max...get past your move to Florida and get your drips and turn them into dividend stock(s) and finally get hunting again.....

Tennessee is like Fla, no state income tax, just a federal, it is pretty cheap to live here, and the grand babies are within 15 minutes of us, so I ain't moving till they move.....my wifey Ingles son is about to be moved to Asheville, NC and has been in a VP role for a few years now and has posted some very good numbers so he has told the Mrs that soon he will have to relocate to Asheville, does this mean a Sr VP is in the offerings...we shall see....at we shop at Kroger's...LOL....

But Split Toe and the rest of the BCSC gang, like Deerhead, Metalman, Jap51 and Cobbguy and yours truly would like to hunt with you or just drop by....take I-75 south of Atlanta and get off at Exit 187 head south for about 20 to 25 minutes on HWY 42 to Treadwell Road, turn left and we will meet you..... 

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 06:42:10 AM »
Leupold Freedom Scope

Just order a Leupold Freedom 3-9X x 50mm.....for $200 off of Amazon, order some stuff for the wife too, she doen't know it yet, because she is still in the bed...today being Superbowl Sunday, let her sleep and get her rest...she has a lot of Fixin's to fix today...never have a Leupold 50mm objective diameter before and this will make my 38th Leupold scope....Will throw it on the old scope pile or put it on the new to me Savage-Shilen 260 Rem.....

The Freedom Scope is replacement for the VX-1 and VX-2...on the Webpage, they don't show any VX-1 or VX-2 at all, Their new Red Dots sure do look inviting though, if I ever have to replace the Bushnell DOA scope on my CVA Accura 2, then I will look real hard at the Leupold Red dot scopes...

It will be here next week and it was a good buy for $200.....think it will be worth the wait.......will post my opinion on it.....

Just had a scary thought, what if I start buying scopes for say under $300 just like the binoculars, Oh No!!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:04:23 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »
I've looked through the freedom scopes. I think they are great for the price
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 06:10:06 PM »
In the other post, I mention that am waiting on the Leupold Freedom 3-9X x 50mm to compare it against the Vortex Diamondback 4-12X x 40mm.....it should be in tomorrow of Monday at the latest....

But the big thing here is that these scope cost $200 apiece!! I know in the past with my Swarovski, Zeiss, Nightforce and Leupold, I have a small fortune in optics rifle scopes along, but these two I am getting in are good for the money...biggest caliber I will put these $200 scope on is a 308....I know they manufacturers would tell me that their scope are good for caliber up to 375 H&H Mag (I have one with a Leupold on my CZ550)...but for me a 308 is max that I am willing to go....just me....

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:13:11 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 08:48:18 PM »
bo- correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the clarity has really improved w/ the years. I think the quality might be compromised, but the brightness has probably increased. so the $200 scopes are as bright as the $400-500 scopes of the past

agree?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 09:01:32 PM »
bo- correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the clarity has really improved w/ the years. I think the quality might be compromised, but the brightness has probably increased. so the $200 scopes are as bright as the $400-500 scopes of the past

agree?
Yari - that's definitely what things look like to me these days.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »
Yari and others,

I would say Yes to your question, at least to 90% of it, explain later. Optics is not just Optics....What I look for in a scope, is clarity, brightness (compared to the ambient brightness), color definition, edge distortion (goes hand in hand with clarity), tube diameter, objective size, light transmission, twilight factor and of course the price...I own many Swarovski (AV and EV) and Zeiss scopes (a bunch of Conquest) with one Nightforce SHV and one Leica ER, plus 38 Leupolds...started buying Leupolds back in the early 70's with Gloss was the preferred finished on the scopes from the VX2's, VX3's, LPS, VX-R, VX-6, and now the Freedom Series, before buying this Freedom Scope, went to Leupold's Home page to see what was up with the VX-1 and VX-2...well they are not listing any of them VX-1 or VX-2 on their webpage, they start with the VX-3....and go from there....so cannnot wait till it come in the next few days to check it out againt the Vortex Diamondback....this should be intersting....

The one thing I can tell you it that the price of the good quality optics (and I mean the good optics) cost these days more than the rifle itself but with custom rifles getting a foot hole in the market, the rifle and scope are about the same price....but what I look for now that I am retired and am on a fixed income is the most bang for my buck as I can....Think that the market is wide open to new optics manufacturers...look at Vortex, and Tract and Athlon and many others, look at Revic optics, and Sig Sauer has only been in the optic market for 6 or 7 years now...but their technology is catching up and surpassing the older crowd like myself and other on here....Now days you cannot go anywhere without the Millennial's and their cell phones, so why not use that connectivity....it hard to beat Burris Eliminator scope it has been out for over 10 years now...
So yes the prices are going up and up for optics but so is the information that is needed for where you hunt....

Where you hunt is also a big factor when it comes to choosing optics, out west then you do have the time to get on your target due to the range you will be trying to hit, a 6.5 to 20 or even higher power is needed along with a good rangefinder. Down in the thick woods of the South, you might have only a couple of seconds to decide and to shoot so w 1.5-6X x at least 40mm is needed to make that quick shot. So recoil of the rifle is a big item to consider as well. Out West you will need a magnum or a large powder capacity cartridge to make that long distance shot, the recoil of the rifle make a big difference...would never put a Crossfire II on a 300 Win or Wea Mag...sure they will say that it will take it, but really, I would rather put a scope on once, rather than 3 or 4 times because of the recoil....   

Leupold has always been great with its warranty, over the years, have had to send several of them back and they have either repair them or replaced them at no cost to me!! So their warranty is second to none is my opinion....I have not sent a Zeiss or Swarovski scope back yet, and it is hard to beat their quality of their product. They build that ruggedest into the rifle scope and their binoculars and their spotting scope so you don't have to send it back...had to send a pair of Zeiss Diafun 10x30mm binoculars for a gasket replacement, was using these suckers a lot and they, Zeiss repaired them and sent them back to me in 2 weeks at no charge. But thanks to Leupold, it has forced other manufacturers to make their products a lot better than they would for the market shares of the optic pie....they offer the same warranty as Leupold does these days - forever....But you got to read their warranty carefully and completely...so let the buyer beware....

So to say Yes to your question, if say the $400 are as good as the $200 scope, boy that is a loaded question but if you are just looking at the surface, I would say yes...but there is a lot of "buts"...I remember last year I got a couple of $400 pairs of binoculars for a bargin price of $200 and under....got some Zeiss Terra and Leupold BX-3 and they are certainly head and shoulders above the rest of the $200 binocular....

Once there was a local hunting and fishing store going out of business and I looked through about 20 pairs of binoculars to find that one pair that was good. They were selling these $99.99 for $25, so I took my time and bought looked through every pair of them before deciding on a pair....so every type of optic you choose is going to be different. Have some Leupold VX2 that are better and more sharper, clearer than their big brother VX3's...and still have them..but at one point in time (I think about the mid 80's) where both the VX2 and VX3 would almost the same.....Put the same Leupold VX2 4-12X x 40mm, 1 inch tube, fine-plex reticule on all 5 Senderos back in the 90's and on all my Coopers, they have Leupold VX6 or Zeiss Conquest or better on all 10 of them....

The Sig Sauer Tango 4, the Vortex Diamondback and the Leupold Freedom series represent the bottom of the line for these manufacturer and they all cost the same....$200 each....these scope I am considering for the new to me, Savage-Shilen 260 Remington.....

In today's market you can get a rifle scope ($200), a rifle (Savage shot action), mounting (aluminum), binoculars ($200) and range finder ($100) for about a $1000 bucks....some scope that I own cost at least that much or more....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 08:11:36 PM »
About 20 years ago I bought a Nikon binocular 8 x 25 for bowhunting. The rubber starting breaking up and got sticky. Cost $8 to send back. Nikon replaced binocular and shipped to me for $0. Original serial number was 48, new ones serial number is 33,328.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 09:04:18 PM »
Gobi - You can thank Leupold for making Nikon and other have their "forever" warranty....

About 1980 got my first pair of Leupold Binoculars 9 x 25mm cost was $300 MSRP. Worked security for a vendor at a gun show in atlanta and they gave me these binoculars after 3 days of working for them. Heck I did not want anything, they always gave me good deals on rifles. These Leupold binoculars were great, they had dual eye adjustments and fold up and you could put them in your shirt pocket and they were clear as a bell...then after 20 years, dropped them out of a stand about 22 ft up....one side of the binoculars flop around and was brokern. After shipping them back for about the same amount, within two week had them back with a long list of what they did to them. About 1995 found out that these binoculars were made by Leica for Leupold.....Wow, did not know the....I went out and bought some Zeiss Diafun 10 x 30mm perfect size and power for me, now had two good pairs of binoculars. Use the Zeiss for many years until had to send them back for the gasket around the eyes...Within 2 or 3 weeks got them back and they were as good as new.....all I paid for was shipping.....

Just wonder how these other manufacturers do.....We know Nikon, Leupold, Vortex and Zeiss all have good factory warranty and good customer service....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 07:13:52 PM »
The Leupold Freedom Came in today...it is a 3-9X x 50mm with a standard reticule in it...Serial No XXX445AE...The "AE" suffix stands for the year it was manufacturer, in this case it was 2018....but with the little time I spent glancing through the scope through the fog and the misting rain, it was bright and clear, sharp and will do a more end depth report on it tomorrow when I will sit down and play with it...the power ring is very easy to turn the power up and down on it, and the focus was already set for my eye, but will play with tomorrow a lot longer, suppose to rain here and to be a carbon copy of today....like Yari says, the Freedom Series is a good value and it comes with a Product Lifetime Forever Warranty.....

Had to add it to my list of scopes that I owned...BTW, this Leupold was my 99th scope that I have purchased since 1972....that is a lot of scopes....did not realized that I had that many. I have sold or traded in or donated 6 of the scope so that makes what 93 scope that is in the current inventory?....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 07:47:07 AM »
After going on the deck and looking at objects many yards away, had to make some minor adjustment, but all in all, This is a great scope for the money....wow, was surprised that the 50mm objective does gathers light the way it did...it was the brightest of the three scopes....just barely with the Vortex coming a very close second and the Sig-Sauer was not far bind it....

What I did was to take the Sig Sauer Tango, the Vortex Diamondback and the Leupold Freedom out on the deck with me this morning (before the rain gets here) and look at the same objects though the gray and overcast skies of East Tenn....and look at the same objects with all three scopes...and it came down between the Vortex and the Leupold, nothing wrong with the Sig Sauer mind you...nothing at all, just if I am going to mount a scope of the new to me Savage-Shilen it going to be either the Vortex or Leupold...can't go wrong with either....

Update: 11:30 AM - the scopes (all three) of them have been out in the rain for about 3 hours now and will dry them off and see what I got.....Its going to rain all day here...

Update: 8:00 PM - Brought the scope in and dried them off and let them come to room temp (73 degrees F, per digital thermometer) and then looked through them once more...All three scopes were not affected by the rain...look at the scopes for any physical damage, none. Looked through the scope and all were clear and sharp around the edges...color temp was good and the colors were all true...tomorrow will take them out on the deck and look through them and make a decision on which one to mount (to start with) on the new to me Savage-Shilen.....

Update 2-13-2009 7:30 AM - It is 30 degrees F on the deck and the three scopes are laying out there to see if the cool weather will effect them...will go out there in about 2 or 3 hours and bring them back in and let the warm up downstairs......
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:00:41 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline WhatHitEm

• Fawn
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 06:58:29 AM »
Last year I didn't have much luck when I hunted at dusk. Maybe it was the visibility issue or a combination of low light related issues plus the terrain. Even though I am an amateur hunter, I know I am capable of more, so I started researching the light in my area and what kind of binoculars could fit my typical hunt. After a long search, the Bushnell Trophy Xtreme Binocular proved to be nice for a moderate price because I would never spend too much on it without knowing it's good and it was my first time purchasing.
These are somewhat weighty, although the barrels match my grip well. The picture is splendid and crisp and they are great when used at dusk so they fit my needs. There are plenty of good reviews for what binoculars to get in 2019 like http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-hunting-binocular even my binoculars are listed too. They are also good for bright sunlight because a few months back I utilized them in a heavy snowfall and even with the sun sparkling on the snow there was no reflection. Whenever there is a discount (something which Bushnell gives out sometimes) you can grab them for 75 bucks or less. There are simply no better binoculars you can buy for that price.
I wish I could connect them to a tripod, but they are good anyways. You can see them in action here if you are curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqvDoYbneo

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 08:17:48 AM »
WhatHitEm, welcome to the forum- what kind of stuff are you hunting in Ireland?  Your post sums it up well, it's important to do the research and handle some different options to see what performs best and fits you best in the price range you're working in.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad