New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Price of Optics  (Read 414 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Price of Optics
« on: December 15, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
Was just checking the "New Arrivals" at Midway and also choked when I saw the newest Leupold for $4700!!! Holy Cow!

Sure it is a Mark 8, 35mm Tube, 56mm Objective, 3.5-25X....Weight is 37 Ounces, that is a lot of weight!!! 1/10 Mil not your standard American 1/8" or 1/4" MOA.....But still at $4700...talk about sticker shock....

Any comments? 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Price of Optics
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
i saw Swarovski came out w/ an automated scope to make all adjustment for you, like burris has. I didn't even look at the price

$4700 is a little steep. even a 50% off sale wouldn't get me excited @--0--0117
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 06:40:13 AM »
Yari - I have Ziess, Swarovski, Lieca, Nightforce and Leupold Scopes....most of those "High End" scopes are mounted on "High End"Rifles, and most of those suckers cost less about a grand (+/- $100), but now that I am retired and living on a fixed income, have to watch my pennies a little closer these days....like Yari states even at 50% it is still a steep price to put on top of a already expensive rifle....Blaser's, Cooper's, Kimber's, McWhoter, Shilen all have great scopes on them now, but none of them even come close to that price...wonder if they will introduce it at next month's Shot Show in Las Vegas??

Sure inflation is a common practice but the R&D and then price of lawyers, marketing and the price of a guarantee are all built into the MSRP...but $4700, is a little much to pay for a scope.....ouch!! So that bring me to another question, do I put a $1000 scope on a $300 rifle...many of you can remember when you would pay about a 1/2 or 1/3 of the price of the rifle!! Remember my first Leupold paid $80 for and put it on a $125 plus sales tax! so a quick calculation tells me that I put a 61.5% on my Winchester Model 70A in 270 Win! In the 90's the price of glass started rising and it sort of got my attention when I started paying over $500 for a scope!!

Today, it is necessary to pay the same for what you paid for the rifle?? or more, much more....How bout a Savage and Vortex combo set up say in a 260 Rem or 6.5 CM for a grand?? it that to much to ask?? You can see why folks only buy one rifle in today's market.

Check your rifles and scopes, the value of them goes up and up every year...at one point in the past, I would tell anyone if you want to see you rifle price it to sell with the scope on it...but today, I may be thinking that it would be wise to sell the rifle and scope separately.....humm...what do you think?

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
i'm a value guy. the only new scope I bought was a TRACT TORIC and feel I got a good deal at $500 I believe. I couldn't justify $1000+. the features I got were more than I would ever use. after all, the moderate equipment(gun/scope) is exponentially better than the ability of 99% of the folks using them. there aren't many expert level shooters out there. that's just reality

that said, if you like nice things and can afford it, why not buy the best. just realize it won't make you a better shot or a better hunter. you are just helping the economy. thank you for that
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 03:14:35 PM »
I guess you could call me low dollar louie.  Own two rifles with sportviews, my 12 ga sports a nice 2.5 x weaver, and my Henry has a 3x weaver. My Axis. 223 has a 3x9 bushnell, that I got on sale for $70.  Didn't seem to work on my 12ga, but so far, it is ok on the Axis
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »
I've "moved up" in recent years to Nikon scopes and pretty happy with each one so far (have 3 - a Buckmaster and 2 ProHunter series).  Love the clarity of them and for my limited range shooting (below 200yds) they serve me well.  Have grabbed them all on sales for less than $200.  If I was going to stretch out to longer ranges I'd probably move up the price range as well but so far I'm satisfied with where I'm at.  Have a higher end Simmons I bought a bunch of years ago in a closeout, put it on my Ruger M77 .223 - - seemed like a good scope back then but compared to those Nikons its clarity is pretty bad.  Will replace that one of these days too.  Also have 3 Bushnells that were in the $100-150 range that seem to be holding up pretty well.  Put a Tasco Pronghorn on my Knight muzzleloader when I first got it - that one was a huge disappointment.  Replaced it with a Bushnell 2X7 some years ago & have been very happy with that.  That doe I shot with it last week at 148 yards was my longest shot though, so again I'm not putting the long range demands on the equipment that many of you guys do.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »
Buy at B&H cheaper. They close early Friday and all day Saturday for their Sabbath but what a kick to buy stuff for your guns and such from a store in New York City’s Commie/ “Progressive” Mayor Bill DBlasio’s backyard!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1316139-REG/leupold_171843_3_5_25x56_mark_8_m5c2.html

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:14:19 PM by Flintlock1776 »
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 08:28:40 PM »
I spent $1,800 on my Swarvoski 10 x42 SLC bino, and smaller 8x30 Cl for around $900. I did not  like the weight of the EL bino. SLC for hunting and CL at sport games, cruises, touring places.

My Leupold 50mm 3x9 rifle scope was the latest version back in the early/mid 90’s at $600 back then. That was a big deal for me to move up to over Simmons scope I had. I am Tempted to get an update, maybe if I find a place to hunt in Florida or Georgia when I move to Florida next year but the Leupold is great on my Rem 700SS 30.06. Would dream about a Swaro riflescope but being retired next year,  then budget will be restricted big time so I may dream only. Grateful for what I have.

Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 08:27:48 AM »
Flint - you can always come hunt with us near Macon, GA, bring your Leupold, we have places where you might get a 50 yard shot and places where 1/2 mile is the norm...I know Deerhead has both distances covered with his 270 WSM and Split Toe can use his 257 Wea or his 280 on those distances the Jap51 (we call him the Japster) has built a massive tower that you can see the curvature of the earth and you might need oxygen after you climb up in it...Metalman has the CL the same ones as you do and they are a great pair of binoculars...I almost got a pair of them the same year Metalman got his....

this past year was able to shot 600 yards 3 times, each time taking a different rifle over there with me...You see our 600 yard range is integrated in with our 1000 yard range...and they are thinking about putting a 1500 yard range in...we have the land and so the budget is the big problem now.....Metalman, Cobbguy and myself hunt where our shots are generally under 100 yards, mine are about

Yes I have a pair of EL and got them in the 10x32mm because of the weight you talk about and have a special carrying case where i put the Leica 900 yard rangefinder along with extra battery for the Leica.....you mention Simmons, believe me I am not Simmons fan at all, had to many of them that went very bad, except for the A-Tac series of scope must have been made in Japan not China....

Like you I am extremely grateful for what I have and experience of going through all the rifle scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars, rangefinders that makes up the inventory I have now...believe me when I say that I have been through alot....your Leupold is a great scope and their warranty is second to none...currently I own 37 Leupolds scopes that are mounted and one that is not yet anyway.....

Attached are a few pictures of my scope pile and binocular pile that I took last year....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 02:13:30 PM »
I've seen sporting good stores with far less selection of optics than that Bo!

##$%#114 ##$%#114 ##$%#114
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 05:13:21 PM »
my store that I work in would be one
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
Flint - you can always come hunt with us near Macon, GA, bring your Leupold, we have places where you might get a 50 yard shot and places where 1/2 mile is the norm

Yes I have a pair of EL and got them in the 10x32mm because of the weight you talk about and have a special carrying case where i put the Leica 900 yard rangefinder along with extra battery for the Leica.....you mention Simmons, believe me I am not Simmons fan at all, had to many of them that went very bad, except for the A-Tac series of scope must have been made in Japan not China....

Like you I am extremely grateful for what I have and experience of going through all the rifle scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars, rangefinders that makes up the inventory I have now...believe me when I say that I have been through alot....your Leupold is a great scope and their warranty is second to none...currently I own 37 Leupolds scopes that are mounted and one that is not yet anyway.....

Attached are a few pictures of my scope pile and binocular pile that I took last year....

Thanks! We just put our house up here for sale hopefully to get a jump on the market. It will close, if we get a buyer, after my knee surgery. Then I have to go back to work until I hit my pension date 10/19. I get nada if I pull the pin before then. Not a big anount but with Social Security and hopefully a p/t jib I will get by.
Then, after that we can move to Florida.
I would love to dust off my GA LifeTime Sportsman license!
So, I will keep your kind invitation on hold until 2020. God willing, I will make it to hunt again in Georgia!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
Flint and Gang - My wife wants me to get a job doing something and I tell her why...she hinting that she would find a job as well for the income....I can see it now a 69 year old guy and a 71 year old Mrs Bo, go to work for the local Kroger....LOL.....don't know how to say this but I have been saving for retirement since I was 23 years old thanks to some wise parents, who both are gone now, their lessons they taught me are doing well these days.....How many times do I have to tell her and show her once (on yes another spreadsheet) that we are doing OK in retirement...she doesn't understand money and always buy generic brands and what's on sale.....thank goodness she doesn't understand money or electricity....LOL...

When we got married some 19 years, 11 months, 15 days, 11 hours and 32 minutes (as of this writing), but who is counting,..LOL....it was her idea to keep the money separate and in separate accounts - her money and my money....but she was working three jobs and getting very little sleep and that quickly changed when she moved into my house. She made my house into our lovely home!! So she supposedly pays for a few things, but not really, she pays for her flowers and that is it...LOL....but I sort of sneak and pay everything else....but she pays in ways that you never see, like keeps the house clean, keeps my pills up to day (thank goodness she is a retire RN) she knows how to pronounce all those weird names of the pills I take, and watches me like a hawk...she keeps on my about my weight, and manners and other things...we make a pretty good team....oh yea, she won't let me work in her yard....my job it to keep her yard tools running!

This is a great saying for all you guys out there and I tell this to Carol almost daily....."You are the good girl that I love, and you are the bad girl of my desires, and you are the naughty girl that I lust for, but the lady that I worship"...it makes her day and if I can make her happy, I can be happy too.....During retirement you will find that it is a year plus to get re-adjusted to each other....

Since that binocular picture I took last August, did buy a couple of more pairs of binoculars for $200 and under....No more spotting scope and think I have mounted one or two of the scopes....

Yes, sure Split Toe and Deerhead would like to have you hunt with us whenever you can and after you get settled in Florida after your retirement and knee replacement surgery....I have been doing some squats lately and it seems like I might be able to re-claim my portable climbers again...I have been exercising doing some leg conditions focusing on the knees and it seems like the older of the two knees replacements is beginning to give a little, I will try them again (in the spring) this time on a pole that I have in the back yard and see what happens...maybe I am just dreaming and can only use the ladder and the ground blinds....at least I am trying.....

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:30:14 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 09:37:29 PM »
Great optcs collection. Even a greater life's partner. Hope you don't mind, I copied your great saying. I'm sure it will make my wife's day.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
Wow, that's a collection of optics!  I guess you could say I'm in the Louie/Madgomer price range when it comes to guns and glass.  Our combinations have served us well over the years.

New Page 3

Google Ad