New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 2018 Year in Review - Cost a lot to be a Hunter  (Read 154 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
2018 Year in Review - Cost a lot to be a Hunter
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
Well we have got about one more week of hunting together at the hunt camp in Georgia. So I thought I would do a year in review as far as hunting cost goes.....to do a quick summary it came to over $10K this year....believe it or not, this is the first year that I have keep a running total from Jan to Dec. Starting with Turkey Season and going through the middle of Jan....(this is the second year they have extended hunting season into the middle of Jan as far as the firearms goes, they have had Archery for many years)

This year I purchase 4 rifles/pistols this year..wow, a slow year for me...LOL...but it was a year of the accessories. Bought Magazine out the ying-yang, I must have purchased 50 magazines....and plenty of range bags and a ton of 9mm and other ammo....even purchase a HM2 Barrel for the CZ455 this year, something that I had been hoping to do many years ago, but Lilja quiet making it so had to find another vendor. Found one and it was cheaper than Lilja, about half price. Purchased another Blind this year and probably will buy another blind next year....

Not going to go into optics, lets just say that in 2017 and 2018 spent plenty of money of them, over $1500 and that does not include a good use spotting scope....just like flashlights, I must have a 50 of them....and purchase them as I need them this year and last year.....every time I would go to Sam's they had another bigger and brighter set of 3 flashlights....

I had to buy materials for another roof over my camper, the second in three years...and then the out of state license (that is about $300 every year). The camp supplies and your supplies that you personally need.....My Gas CC always gets used this time of the year the most!! Wow. Just think if I would have kept facts and figures for the early years!!

These are just a few things that was purchased this year in the name of hunting....LOL....So it does cost a lot to be called a hunter....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
Re: 2018 Year in Review - Cost a lot to be a Hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
Yes Bo it does cost to be a hunter!  New truck (Ouch!) I too needed a new roof over my camper. Not complaining one bit! A taxidermy bill :>  Umm I might need a new shotgun.  What do you think?  I have been saving for a long time.  Well we will have to see.  I have my eye on a Beretta A400 Explor.  They sure are proud of them. 

I will not keep a running total of my expenses.  My wife might fine it.  Then she will want to buy something else.  LOL

Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »
i don't want to know. i didn't even hunt at the cabin this year and spent a ton up there. i'm sure i couldn't justify the cost w/ taxes, gas, plots....
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »
I'm one of those guys that love to be outdoors and I'm not going to put a price on my hunting and fishing. I don't even want to know, my plan is to keep it up until they put me in a box.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
Yes for all these years have not kept up with an expenses at all, like Split states not going to put a price on my hunting and fishing.....

Deerhead Yes that Beretta A400 sure would be nice shotgun to get...I would wait a bit to see what Beretta is going to come out with next year (2019) at the Shot Show next month in Las Vegas.....But yep they cost as much as my Benelli SBE 2 did a few years ago when I got not one but two of them with all the options on them, One SBE 2 and One Super Nova with the same pistol grips, same picatinny rails, same camo stock, same choke....ouch to my wallet....

And I will say this again, after I'm gone hopefully my wife won't sell my guns for what I told her that I paid for them......OMG.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 09:06:08 AM »
Lucky for me, the wife spends more on hunting than I do,  @--0--0105.  I certainly do not buy guns or gun parts like most of the guys on here, but maintaining a ranch/farm for outdoor recreation gets really expensive also.  As Split and Bo said, can't put a price tag on something you love doing.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 07:45:26 PM »
Look at it this way - you can spend thousands on psychotherapy & mental health drugs or you can get out in the woods and on the water with a much better result in terms of your mental health.  I know which one I'm choosing.  Kind of like spending some money to keep the better half happy - much cheaper than a divorce lawyer!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »
I spent more on traveling to hunt this year than hunting gear.

I have finally hit the point where I need to start thinning out my gear rather than adding to it.

All I can recall buying are new broadheads, a turkey barrel (black Friday sale) and a product called a Buckstik ( new scent thingy)

Everything else has been the typical handwarmers, normal seasonal items, etc.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
MI - You are so right, every time I head South to hunt I allow $500 in expenditures, that includes gas, food, ice and at least one trip to Walmart, when I go down for the 2 week long hunt I will take at least $500 with me in cash and another $500 on the debit card for those just in case moments....LOL.... ##$%#1119....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad