New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Duck Scouting Surprise  (Read 466 times)

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Duck Scouting Surprise
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
Long story shorter...I was duck scouting for the second duck season opener this coming Saturday.  I saw about a dozen ducks on one of my ponds during deer rifle season.  This pond is tucked away in a wooded draw running between two of my grass fields.  I parked the buggy and started walking with loppers and bolt cutter in hand (I had to cut an old barbed-wire fence for easy access).  As I was moving along cutting brush and generally making an easy entry path to the pond, I noticed a black object between the water's edge and a small sandhill plum thicket on the ponds upper bank.  I thought it was a tire so I moved forward to check it out.  At about 20 yards it moved...that's when I realized I was looking at his head as he was facing me.  He never raised his chin off the ground (extremely odd).  My little chug (chihuahua/pug mix) was with me playing in the woods.  I hollered for her and she came running right between the hog and myself.  I couldn't believe she didn't smell him nor did the hog move!!!  I ran the short 30 yards back tot he buggy and retrieved the ol' untrustworthy SKS.  I walked right back to the spot I found the hog and he was still lying there.  At 20 yards, the first round was a misfire (cheap Wolf ammo).  The second one didn't want to slide into the chamber (hollow-points), but eventually was ejected and the third round went off.  (I'm not gonna lie, I was shaking like a leaf.  I've killed hundreds of these hogs, but have never been this nervous.)  The hog jumped up and crashed through the sandhill plums and then stopped.  I thought he was gonna fall, but decided to run.  I attempted to shoot, but had another misfire.  I ejected that shell and got off a final shot while running.  We ran to the buggy and took off across the field.  As luck would have it, he was exiting the draw and crossing my field on the other side of my driveway.  I slammed on the brakes, took aim as he was trotting and fired.  Down he went with a spine shot.  I followed up with three more from behind in the neck/head area.  He weighed 210#.  Not my biggest hog, but certainly  the weirdest hog adventure I have ever experienced.  I saw no prior injuries on him or anything that would give me reason to understand why he didn't flee earlier...maybe he was born deaf?!?!     

TalkHunting Community

Duck Scouting Surprise
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Duck Scouting Surprise
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
crazy. i would get some better ammo. there's nothing worse that an empty click

nice hog and a good one to remove
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:05:59 PM »
Nice hog...that's strange that he didn't run off. I would of been nervous too. Time to buy some good ammo...just a thought.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »
Nice hog , congrats .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 06:40:36 PM »
Way to stick with him Ben.  I gotta assume ammo too as a first guess.  I have an SKS that I bought over 30 years ago - it's an ugly Chinese version but I don't recall ever having a single misfire across many hundreds of rounds.  Have only shot military surplus ammo, so wouldn't want to use it on a critter due to the lack of any expansion but would think it would be pretty good on hogs with some soft point rounds.  Biggest problem has been making sure everything is clean after shooting, that military ammo is crazy corrosive.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »
Good story, Ben! Is he gonna be coyote bait?
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
Louie - Yes sir he's in the "bait pile"

Mad - I brought the gun back to the house and sent 20 rounds through it perfectly, but I probably will break down and buy some american made stuff.  Gonna hurt the wallet though as you can run through a clip quick while shooting into a herd of pigs.

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »
Wow that's crazy King I am glad you finally got him down. He must have been deaf dumb and half blind with you getting that close and him not running.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad