New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Spreading the Wealth and Cost of a Hunt Club  (Read 166 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Spreading the Wealth and Cost of a Hunt Club
« on: December 04, 2018, 06:47:37 AM »
Every year now, it sure seems like I am spending more and more down at the hunt club in GA...that's OK, sure I am not alone in doing so....We spend our money a little here and a little there...for the last 5 years have been keeping a running total of what I spend each year, looking back to those years I have spent over $10K every year!! Well I must admit that I bought a rifle here and there that takes up about $2500 (with the scope of course) but there are so many things that we need and the hunt club needs every year. I am the paper man, have and will always run over to Sam's and put the Paper Products (Paper Towels, Toilet Paper, Paper Plates, Bowls, Charcoal, Ziess Wiper, etc.) All of us in the club share the expense of running the club...I try to donate a little more than the hunting dues every year to our Prez, knowing that the cost of running a hunt club is staggering to say the least....and it takes a lot of time to run a club....There is always something.....

The Prez has to paid the lease and then hopefully everyone will pay him back....this year, we had a member that lost his Father, Mother and just recently lost his step-Father and he could not come up with the dues this year, he has been a member of our club for a few years now, but still the least has to be paid as early as April every year (most of you know that the Prez will start hounding you for the money very early next year......so this year, I had some money socked away for a rainy day and just wrote a check to our Prez and sent out an email asking other members to donate whatever they could to help cover the added expense.

From my own experience, rebuilding my roof over my camper twice in three years and the help doing it, the first time I had just come back from my right knee replacement and the guys down at the club would not let me do a lick of work. Sure it was expensive, about $1600, but the labor that was involved was there to help out a fellow hunter, about ten guys help rebuild it and the second time, it was about the same, of course this time yours truly pitch in a little bit.....

The purpose of this email is to let everyone know and something to think about, that running a club is very expensive and timely to make it run smoothly but behind the scenes it is chaos....we all my share the expense and contribute what we can and when we can to help everyone in the club....Hats off to the Presidents of the clubs who somehow manage to run the club and to stay married at the same time, boy talk about a difficult task....   

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
Re: Spreading the Wealth and Cost of a Hunt Club
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »
Wow, I had no idea it cost so much in addition to the yearly dues!!!  I have never been a member of one, but I think it would be fun with all of the comradery.   

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
having my own place, i know the expenses that come up. it gets tough to justify. i didn't even hunt at my place this year!!! there was nothing worth chasing, plus i used my bow tag early.

you're right though. the labor help is a HUGE bonus. you guys have a great group
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 11:54:54 AM »
I spent $8K putting a new roof on two cabins this year. I still have to do the garage and shed.  That is just one project, we also painted and fixed a lot of other stuff.

I can relate.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
and this doesnt even mention the issues that arise from trying to get 10, 20, 30 or even 40 guys, to get along. I spent my whole life in hunting clubs and decided around 45 years old I had had enough. What many people around the country dont realize is that in the deep south, clubs arent preferred, they are a necessity. Up here in KY, Bugfixer and I lease 140 acres from an individual. In Alabama, 99% of huntable land is owned by large farm corporations or timber / paper companies. They dont lease small tracts of land. 1000 acres or more is the norm. The last club I was in had 3000 acres and that was one lease track. Unless you are mega wealthy, it takes a group of people to pay for leases that size. Money is always a problem for the club management or prez, as bo called it. people dont pay, work has to be done, roads trimmed, plots planted, trails and fields bush hogged. And generally, only 1 out of 5 members will even show up for work days. it takes a special person to run it and there is always a few who think they can do it better, but they cant.

I have a million fond memories of hunting in clubs over my lifetime. 90% of the better memories are from the smaller clubs, 15 or less. However, if I am ever forced to go back to a club environment or quit hunting, there is a very good chance I would quit hunting... the best clubs are those who keep the same members for many many years... but those are rare these days...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »
sad to say, typically w/ any group there is usually a small group that do most of the work. it happen w/ safari club as treasurer, several archery clubs I belonged to and definitely happened w/ my cabin.

it is very frustrating. and, the laziest folks are always the ones mouthing off behind the backs of the ones doing all the work about what "should be done". they drove me nuts!!!!!!!!!!! I don't understand what right anyone not making any effort has to disparage those doing all the work. reminds me of politics.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 11:43:21 PM »
Wow I don't even know where to start on this thread. Back in the 70's and 80's I was a member in two different hunting clubs. One was a club run by my Father and the other one I hunted with most of my friends my age. Butt's County Sportsmen's Club was the one run by my Dad and had 60 members (2200 acres) that at the time were up in age and need some young folks to keep the club running. In 1986 I took over BCSC and had no idea what I was about to get into. Back then the dues were $85 a year. It was a full time job just keeping up with memberships and getting new club members to replace old ones. I remember the timber company raised the lease and I had to raise it $10 a year to cover the lease. You should of heard some of these old guys raising cane about that $10 you would of thought I was stealing. Today we have 18 members and a little over 750 acres and we pay $700 each every year. Out of that 18 we have 12 that truly contribute to the well being of the club but we're getting older too! When I was working at Delta I never had any trouble getting members but now that I'm retired it's a whole different story. Hunting is a dying sport as most of these young folks are not interested in the outdoors at all and that's a shame.

I've had members thinking I was making money running this lease and I can assure you I've never made a dime and have lost thousands of dollars and countless hours over the years. (If my wife had any idea) When I was working it was a lot different as I was making a lot more money than being retired. I've offered several members the chance to take over the lease especially the one that think I'm making money but no takers.

It is a lot of working running a Hunting Club but I've made life long friendships and our core group of guys are just the best as we are truly a band of brothers. I tell all the members it's not my club it's your club, I just pay the lease. I have learned over the years that you'll never make everyone happy but you just do the best you can and I know the core guys have my back. I'm extremely blessed to have them.

Bo is a very generous man, he does so much behind the scenes for our hunting club I can never thank him enough, but I hope he knows it is greatly appreciated by everyone! Some of us have been hunting together 25, 30, 40 years and it's been a wonderful ride.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »
split- I've been there. kudos to you for being so resilient. it sounds like you have the right attitude. it take a special person to put himself out there to all the work and unjustified criticism. well done
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »
 --9-908    --9-908    --9-908    @--0--0118
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season coming soon
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »
you guys can always come up north and hunt with me in the snow and cold no bugs or snakes

##$%#1118   --099-780 

you guys are the cream of the crop thank you for doing what you do
turkey season was a bust hope deer season is better

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »
Dave - Just might do that! Grab a bunch of us and drive up and do a long weekend of hunting up there in the frozen north....LOL...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
I've had the opportunity to visit several deer camps/clubs in my past,including  Butt's County Sportsmen's Club. It truly takes a good group of fellow hunters to make a camp/club work to benefit them all. The old saying comes to mind, You get out what you put in!!! If you want more,give more!!!! With that being said the gentlemen at Butt's County Sportsmen's Club are among the Best I've seen. Good Luck to you guys for continued success with your Fine Club!!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »
My hats off to you guys. I got tired of being the 1 of 5. Own hunting land and hunt by myself. My son doesn't hunt anymore. Grand daughter and grandson should be hunting soon.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BubbaBrown

• Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »
You can not count guns, scopes, four wheelers, hunting clothing and such things in the cost of deer hunting, those are essential items of life. You only count the club dues and license and that's it! At least that's what I tell my wife.
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

New Page 3

Google Ad