New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: my season in a nutshell  (Read 588 times)

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
my season in a nutshell
« on: November 28, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
OK.. Very weird year for me with weird results....  here is the short version   @--0--0120

June 2017 - we found a new lease. 140 acres bordering a river, very promising. however, the lease was not available until Oct 11. whatever...  We also saw on the first inspection of the property that it was being logged. Landowner said he was only thinning and would be out before we took over.

August 2017 - the landowner allowed us to come on the property early to plant food plots even though the current lessee still had hunting rights until Oct 11. We planted 6 acres of food plots and spent a lot of time cleaning up the loggers mess, who by the way, was still logging.

Oct 11 - Bugfixer and I went and hung stands. the old lessee had come the day before and removed all of his stands and the loggers were supposed to be gone and have their mess cleaned up. They were gone but mess, trash and broken equipment remained.

Oct 14 - Bug shot a doe with his ML

Late Oct to mid nov - the land owner is mad at the logger and wants him to come back and clean up his mess and clear the roads and trails that have trees all in them. we asked that he wait until the season is over. he reluctantly agreed. however, he has brought in another logger to look at the mess and the unfinished logging and is going to start work there Dec 15th. Meanwhile, the old logger has returned and started removing his trash and equipment. this year is a bust. we are seeing deer only in a few places and nothing real big. I think all the logging and traffic has run the big boys out, at least for this year. The land owner has had his fill of loggers and promises when this new guy is done, no more logging for at least 10 years.

Nov 15 - I had a small 8 pnt come into the plot I was sitting at that afternoon. I had already passed on him once. After all we had been through, I decided to take the shot. buck tag filled, 2 doe tags remaining.

Nov 19 - I sat in the same plot I had killed the buck in. plan was to shoot a doe. around 4 PM, a nice buck showed up and I could have killed him 50 times over. Of course that would happen to me. I texted bug, who wasnt hunting that day and told him I would refrain from shooting a doe as to not spook this buck and he could come sit this stand tomorrow afternoon. Now im just deer watching and not deer hunting.

Nov 20 - Bug sits that the plot where I saw the good buck. I sit on another plot. He sees not a single deer. I shoot a doe.

Havent been hunting since....
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:39:06 AM by Hunt Master »
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
Re: my season in a nutshell
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »
That's sad HM . hope you have better luck next year .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
Sounds like something that would go on at Hilltop Hunting Club.  Except it would be Landowner rides side by side everyday while intoxicated over entire lease.... landowner shoots at spikes while leasee's are hunting on opposite side of spike and nearly die. Landowner's son ride horses everyday all over everything and gets on multiple cams and shoots them birds.... No one sees big deer but every property around shoots big deer.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
Sounds like something that would go on at Hilltop Hunting Club.  Except it would be Landowner rides side by side everyday while intoxicated over entire lease.... landowner shoots at spikes while leasee's are hunting on opposite side of spike and nearly die. Landowner's son ride horses everyday all over everything and gets on multiple cams and shoots them birds.... No one sees big deer but every property around shoots big deer.

Its exactly like that. Lease will be worded VERY differently next year..  lol
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
well at least you got out with my elbow I could not pull the bow back and gun was hard as the cold bothered finely can go out and the wind is blowing today back to work on Friday still no shots taken have to see it to shoot it
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »
We've had all kinds of fun with loggers so I feel your pain. This year the loggers were gone but the timber manager has been trying to burn since late September but all the rain has made thing difficult. They were trying to burn from the 20th of October until last week. They did a really poor job as they would start and the wet ground and weather made things really difficult. This season is about a wash but a few of the guys harvested a couple nice bucks. Hopefully they replant this spring and we'll be done with all the firebreak cutting and burning. High hopes for next year!

NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »
that's why leases scare me. i have the loggers coming in after 12/31 this year to hopefully finish at my place. i hope they do as they say and not what i expect. we'll see

definitely re-write that lease. hunting time is too precious to waste away. better luck next year
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
if you are hunting on timber company land, like most guys are in the deep south, you have no say in anything. Our landowner is an individual and can say what goes and doesnt happen. he has even agreed to word the lease different next year and maybe extend it for free some to make up for this horrible year.
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 03:16:36 PM »
Hang in there HM, I know how frustrating that situation can be, but haven't dealt with it for over 20 years.  Glad to hear you and Bug did get a couple in the freezer despite all the craziness.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 07:26:57 PM »
Bummer.  But meat in the freezer is a good thing.

I'm still deerless here in MI.

I've seen the property, it has lots of potential.  Looking forward to spring turkey :-D
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
Seems we all have stories about how poor this season is.

Oh well, as least we have good friends here to yak with.

This, I expect, will be my last season hunting here. After 14 years it got comfortable. Nothing fantastic but hey, walk 100 yards to my stand from my home was e-z pezy!

My Alabama spot is gone. My Georgia lease got turned into a MacMansion housing development.

Next year I have to find and learn about Florida hunting. Even with all that shoreeline, fishing is not my thing.

I have my lifetime GA license, maybe I will meet someone that hunts Ga that lives in Florida.

Still breathing, thatís a good thing in spite of my future hunting situtation
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
Next year is always better. At least I keep telling my self that.
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 02:45:50 PM »
Next year is always better. At least I keep telling my self that.
Nothing better than a good positive attitude...things will improve I have not doubt!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 08:02:54 AM »
Bugfixer and I ended up taking another big doe each to end our season. there is still season left but we have called it done. got lots of family and holiday stuff coming up so we generally stop this time each year. Now its time for a little squirrel hunting with the kids and grandkids...
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 08:07:21 AM »
i'm in the same boat unless something moves in. i'm still running cams. my season here ends 1/31, so you never know

good luck on the tree rats. I wish I had some kids that wanted to shoot them. there are way too many
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad