New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: chainsaw chain  (Read 233 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
chainsaw chain
« on: November 27, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
   Has anyone ever tried a carbide chainsaw chain. A guy from work said he has cut over 20 cord of wood and never sharpened his saw, it is still sharp and throwing big chips. I'm considering it but for $100 I want more info.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: chainsaw chain
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
I've never heard of that good of results. 20 cords w/o sharpening?

another question would be how tough are carbide to sharpen?

let me know how it works if you get one. $100 would buy a few of regular chains
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
chainsaw chain
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:04:24 AM »
I've done quiet lots of chainsaw work, and use carbide tip chain in the fire service. It's tough chain and last a while however if you don't have a chain grinder with a special abrasive wheel you're not going to sharpen it. Files skate across carbide. The average wood cutter can do just as well with a regular chain its a matter of getting the right chain and keeping it off dirty wood and out of the ground. I keep three loops sharp all the time when I cut wood, I have a stihl 661 magnum with 28 inch bar I run a LP skip tooth chain on, a Stihl ms362 running a 20" bar with a full comp chain, and a stihl TH 191 with a 14" bar full comp chain. I also sharpen all my loops with a Oregon bench grinder before I go to the woods. I keep a round file and a raker file for field touch ups. My chains last just as long as carbide does mainly because my saws come with the operator me. You can ask Splittoe or any of the other guys I'm very particular about my saws and all my climbing ropes as well as bull rope for tree persuasion. There are several main keys as mentioned earlier keep out of dirt, be careful of trees around old homesteads (nails and/or metals in the wood) keep the chains sharp at the correct angle and let the saw do the work. This subject can go on forever, but if you have a $100 bucks to waste buy up several carbide loops and happy cutting.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:10:00 AM by metalman »
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
I found the latest talk about this type chain on the Arborist Site, Feb 2018.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/carbide-chain.318371/

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »
+1 to metalmans post above.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
Thanks Metalman for the great info. I too have done lots of chainsaw work but, I have about 2 cord of oak laying in bulldozed piles around my food plot I would like to get for the wood stove. My chain is dull in a matter of minutes because of the dirt in the bark. Another friend of mine says it would not hurt a carbide chain at all. I bought a standard chain yesterday for $18 so I'll leave the oak.

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 06:01:48 AM »
Hopefully the info helped some, if the oak is good wood the carbide will take the dirt better go for it. Hate to see good wood wasted it's getting harder to come by. If you be sure and clean the bar groove and the sprocket often that dirt will ruin a bar. You can pick up a small bar conditioner from baileys supply to keep it at 90 degree and flat.
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »
Notsams - Metalman uses only the best and we (hunt club members) have come to respect his decisions when it comes to how to lay down a tree....we still need to take down a few trees around camp and when Metalman decides to lay on it down....he has the tool and equipment to do it right!!!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
Bo is right!  Metalman is our tree expert.  The last time one of our club members tried to cut a tree down (NOT mentioning any names here !   @--0--0118
They almost died!  ???   

So now Metalman is our treeman!   He know more about felling a tree than we do.  We are just the tree pullers, wood toter's and the cleanup crew!     
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 01:54:06 PM »
Thanks for the good info guys. I burn about 15+ cords of wood every winter but hoping to move to a smaller place this spring and then will cut only a small amount of wood every year. 

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 06:31:52 AM »
I've found this thread pretty interreting.  I dont use my saws much but when I need them it always seems like its in the worst, dirty conditions.  Around the house and cabin I ended up buying a cheap elec saw as it seemed lime I was continually removing shrubs, trees etc that involved getting into the dirt and grit.  I figured if I destroy a $40 saw I wouldnt be as upset. Ironically the elec saw is still going strong despte having destroyed many many chains cutting up roots and stuff.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 07:19:22 AM »
Bo is right!  Metalman is our tree expert.  The last time one of our club members tried to cut a tree down (NOT mentioning any names here !   @--0--0118
They almost died!  ???   

So now Metalman is our treeman!   He know more about felling a tree than we do.  We are just the tree pullers, wood toter's and the cleanup crew!   
Whattttttt...This sounds like a bad dream... @--0--0105
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 05:56:43 AM »
MI - Yes, we have a couple of those electric chain saws, because of my wife. She saw the price and could not resist. Many times it takes longer to get the long chord out and get it set up to saw a limb or two off and then it's done....then you got the clean up process to deal with, but like others have a Stihl 16" (2 cycle gas/oil mix powered) that I use for just about everything in the yard, down at the hunt club....but yes we have a Craftsman (which came form Dad's garage) and a Poulan that my wife bought when I was hunting many years ago. I have 3 back-up blades for the Stihl and none surprisingly for the elec saws.....Still when I am around no matter which one elec she uses, I will jump up and do whatever she wants to be done...think most wives are not good around electrical or mechanical equipment, they are some exceptions....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 12:16:15 PM »
I've found this thread pretty interreting.  I dont use my saws much but when I need them it always seems like its in the worst, dirty conditions.  Around the house and cabin I ended up buying a cheap elec saw as it seemed lime I was continually removing shrubs, trees etc that involved getting into the dirt and grit.  I figured if I destroy a $40 saw I wouldnt be as upset. Ironically the elec saw is still going strong despte having destroyed many many chains cutting up roots and stuff.
Mike I have a Ryobi electric saw that I use to clear the trails at the cousins , it's just right for hauling around on the 4x4 .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

New Page 3

Google Ad