New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: My Michigan update.  (Read 432 times)

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
My Michigan update.
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:27:26 PM »
Late Saturday afternoon, after sitting for over an hour without seeing any deer, a doe popped out in the open.  She seemed agitated, and kept looking back.  I wondered if there were any more deer with her.  She was a bit smallish, and I was hoping a larger doe would show up.  then, I detected more movement in the thick brush, and a buck came out.  I debated for a few seconds on whether to take a shot.  It was getting late,  and starting to get dark, plus he seemed a bit on the small side.  Then, my predator instincts came out, I put the crosshairs just behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger (if you can squeeze the trigger on a shotgun)  The buck jumped up high and gave a giant mule kick, then ran off towards the neighbor's woods, to the north..  After locking in into the spot where I lost sight of him, I immediately ran to where he had been standing, to check for hair, blood, etc.  Didn't see any but after a short distance following his tracks on the sparse snow, I found some hair, then a bit of blood.  The blood trail was sparse, but easy to follow on the snow, but that changed when I got into the woods.  Every thing was wet, and getting darker.  I got my flashlight out and began to follow the trail.  I did lose it a couple of times, but I was able to return to it.  by this time the blood trail was pretty sparse, but I continued going the same way, hoping I could find more blood, or better yet, the dead buck.  After a few more yards, I decided to return to the last point I had seen blood and found it.  Casting about with the flashlight, I found a drop of blood about 1/4" diameter, about 6 ft to the right of the path the buck had been traveling.  I started on the new direction, casting about with the flash light, and a few feet later, I found the dead buck farther up that trail.  I was ecstatic then.  I hate losing a deer, especially at the neighbors place.  I called him to let him know I had found the buck, and he was happy for me.  The buck turned out to be a small 8pt, pretty well formed rack, but only 13-1/2" spread.  I didn't care it was small, the fact I had successfully tracked a wounded deer through the wet woods, at night, using a flashlight and recovered the deer was plenty enough for me.  It took me about 30-35 minutes, from the time I shot, to when I finally found him.  I took a few pictures, then dragged him back to my property which was only about 30 yards to the east.  The buck had traveled north, then turned west, then south, and west again.  Maybe 60 yards after leaving my property.  I looked him over carefully, and my shot entered his right side, just behind the shoulder, and exited on the other side, but the exit hole was higher than the entry hole.  I thought I had been shooting slightly on a downward slant, but apparently that was not the case.  I thank the Lord for enabling me to make a good shot on a nice buck, plus helping me find it.  I did have to go back to day, to look for a knife I dropped in the snow, and I was able to find it.  Apparently, when I put it away in my pocket, it slipped between my bibs, and pants pocket.  As I moved around, the knife fell all the way to the ground.  On my way back, I stopped at the spot the buck had been standing when I shot at him, and stepped it off.  I was surprised when I got up to 88 steps.  Long steps, not the slow moving short steps you use while walking in the woods.  I had figured the shot was about 65 yds, but seems like it was longer than than.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:31:14 PM by MichiganLouie »
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: My Michigan update.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 08:43:48 PM »
nice looking buck. congrats on a nice recovery
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »
Well done Louie, your perseverance paid off!  Much better to find him & get him out of the woods than to lose him to the yotes.  Congrats on finding the knife too - that's a huge bonus!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 09:06:49 PM »
Awesome Louie!!!  Congrats!!!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:28:01 AM »
Congrats Louie, it looks like a perfectly placed shot.

Offline metalman

• 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 06:51:19 AM »
Nice looking deer
Metalman
Hit it while it is hot
NWTF Memeber
Butts County Sportsman Club Memeber
27 years hunting

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
Great story and a good buck , congrats on both Louie .  ##$%#116
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »
nice shooting that is a great buck I guess we don't need to get you a new knife for Christmas then
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 07:24:28 PM »
Congrats    ##$%#11
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 09:10:32 PM »
Awesome buck and great story! Congratulations! I know how you feel about the tracking. I didn't have to do mine in the dark but after following the blood trail on all three this year and then finding them, it is a rewarding feeling. Congrats again!!!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 07:14:00 AM »
Congrats on a fine buck, and a great tell of events. I think we should get you a tracking merit badge for the night time recovery of the deer.  ##$%#1114
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »
Glad you found him what a great buck man congrats!!!! @--0--0123 @--0--0123 Nice tracking job as well.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »
Great outcome! Congrats
Remember the 343