New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: here's a thought  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: here's a thought
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2018, 12:59:31 PM »
Works for me Yari - thanks for all of the legwork!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »
thx guys. I told him I would call next week. he's booked this weekend w/ clients and the christmas

WV- if we have to move it 11,12,13(mon-wed) would that still work? sunday may be an issue. that's normally their turn around date

thx guys. i'm on it
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »
Yari just book what you can and I will figure it out. Thanks for doing this.

Offline yari

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »
Yari just book what you can and I will figure it out. Thanks for doing this.

thx. i'll try to keep the dates provided, but i may need some leeway 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline yari

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
first off, I didn't get around to calling this week.  ##$%#15 with the year end stuff and the markets going goofy, work got very busy. plus the winter storm this week kept me occupied. I will get to it next week 

I took inventory on fishing gear. we can each fish 2 rods. I have 4 rods/reels completely ready to go. I have an additional 3 walleye rods w/o reels.

do you guys have a couple reels we can use? I like smaller reels. shimano 1000 series type reels. if not, bigger reels will work to. for line, I like 6-8# mono. all you really need is approx. 100' of line. we will be fishing 20-35' of water. if you have ultra light reels that hold that much 6-8# line, they would work well. if you are buying line, I use P-LINE FLOUROCLEAR instead of 'ice line'. it works well

the other option is rattle wheels. he normally has a couple rattle wheels set up in the house and I have one I could bring. they work real well instead of a deadstick/bobber. the rattle 'rings' when you get a bite. they really shine when you take a nap --099-780

as for fishing gear, I have all the lures and hooks. you may want to bring a needlenose pliers/forceps for hook removal, head lamp, fish towel for wiping hands, clippers for line. just normal things you use boat fishing work well

any other questions come to mind? I've been doing this for a while, so i'm sure I take things for granted.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »
Yari - I have a reel or two I can bring along & thanks for the tips on the line choice, was wondering about that.  I think my main remaining questions would be around how much heavy clothes & food to plan on.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2018, 02:47:24 PM »
mad- we need to talk about food. I always like fresh fish a couple times. we can pan fry or if someone has a propane 'fry daddy' they could bring that. I normally don't run a strict meal schedule. if the fish are biting, you don't want to miss a run. plenty of snacking. we won't starve @--0--0105

as for warm cloths, we will be fishing inside. no real need for warm clothes except to relieve yourself. I normally just bring a down jacket and 2 pair of shoes/boots in case one pair gets wet from snow

HM- I forgot to mention. I don't drink java. by the time it tastes good to me, I might as well have a milkshake. my buddies normally do cowboy coffee or they really like the starbuck's instant @--0--0117

I have a buddy that fishes braid line. either he's a terrible fisherman or the fish don't like the braid. personally, I think they can see the line AND he's a bad fisherman --099-780 if you already have brais spooled, we can always tie on a mono leader
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
I'm not a coffee guy either.  Will down a Coke now & then but that's about my only source of caffeine these days.  Do you need us to bring any skillets or pots for cooking in?  Was thinking I could bring along a frozen batch of chili & thaw it out on the propane burner but chili for four old guys in close quarters may be disastrous - maybe potato soup instead! 
--099-780 
Frying up some fish sounds great to me.  Don't have a gas fry daddy - only a 2-burner LP coleman stove, so unless you think we need more stove space I will assume that stays home. Could also smoke a brisket, pork shoulder, and/or venison backstrap & bring that along.  As you said, I doubt we go hungry.  Will work to gain some points with the warden between now & then to see if she'll bake us something to take along, although that could be consumed before we get to Minnesota.

Swung by Gander Mountain this evening on my way home and looked for their ice fishing gear - they basically didn't have any.  I did grab a 300 yd spool of 6# P-Line but it's not the flouroclear (it's moss green) so I may need to do more looking.  Either way I'll use that line up somewhere.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »
mad- chili is always good. I wouldn't turn down anything smoked either. as for noxious gases that WILL occur, everyone should be armed w/ a book of matches or 12 to light and combat that issue --099-780. it's amazing how well that works

was the P-LINE CX and not flouroclear? it will work. we can always use a leader. not problem

no need for a propane burner. we have a gas stove. cook a pie? fresh cookies? we've always said we were going to but never had. baked goods are a bonus
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2019, 09:43:00 AM »
Yeah Yari, it's the CX stuff.  Haven't tried it before.

Adding matches and chili to the list  ##$%#114
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
CX is good. don't ever buy the CXX. it's really stiff. I don't like it at all
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2019, 07:35:56 AM »
I am waiting to see what dates are set and to confer with WV on whether we are flying or driving. That will determine what supplies we can bring..
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline yari

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
WE ARE BOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arrive 3/9(probably late) until 3/12. that gives us 2 full days of fishing. i will iron out the details w/ the owner as we get closer. i will also be up there in a week or so

let me know if you have any questions. he has a general list of what to bring on his website. www.twinislandsleepers.com  we can figure out the details as we get closer
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2019, 10:57:46 AM »
Awesome, thanks Yari!
and enjoy it!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2019, 11:00:20 AM »
Sounds good!  Thanks
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

New Page 3

Google Ad