New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Home for a while  (Read 179 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Home for a while
« on: November 02, 2018, 11:50:15 AM »
Working on my probable last rifle project. My yearning to have a .243 pill leaving the muzzle at over 5000/fps. More about this later. While running the numbers I found an interesting elevation tid-bit. While doing a flight time analysis and trajectory tracking I found that the pill will slow to transonic speed at 2445 yards at 6000 feet in elevation. At sea level the transonic conversion is reached at 1970 yards.

Next question is how gravity affects the pill at various elevation change.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Home for a while
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »
Sounds like a fun project DH - what is your current max muzzle velocity you've reached with the .243?   

Gravitational pull does decrease with altitude, but it's pretty slight within the realm of where we'd be shooting without the aid of a breathing apparatus.  If I did my math right, between sea level and 6000 feet you'd see about a 0.06% (six one hundredths of a percent) change in gravitational pull on the pill - I arrived at that by just doing a ratio of earth's radius squared and the radius at 6000 feet above sea level squared.  Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Based on the link below you might have more variation in gravity based on latitude than on altitude.
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/42-our-solar-system/the-earth/gravity/93-does-gravity-vary-across-the-surface-of-the-earth-intermediate
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
Hi Mad, Presently the highest 243 muzzle velocities for the pill weight I have are the 243 Catbird pushing a 95 gr pill at 3575 fps, and a 243WSSM pushing a 90gr at 3325.

The muzzle velocity that I'm plugging into the equations is 5150. Like any build it must be built around a projectile. I have found a monolithic 90gr with a coefficient of .510. Have to use monolithic because of rational failure of frangible pills. I'm still playing with numbers. So far it looks like I'll need a 1:14.5 twist rate to achieve a stability factor of 1.52. This puts the rotational pill speed at 248,300 and is why the frangible pills will not work. The monolithic pill maker "believes" the one I'm going to use "should" hold together.

Now I'm waiting to talk to the barrel manufactures.

The gravitation pull is very minor compared to the coriolus effect at ranges beyond 1500. Then direction of flight must be taken into account.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 05:02:57 AM »
Wow... and when I look at the Matrix all I see is blond, brunette, redhead...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

New Page 3

Google Ad