New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Md. muzzleloader hunt  (Read 206 times)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Md. muzzleloader hunt
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »
I finally got out to ML hunt Sat evening. had a great hunt no shots but I saw 5 bucks and 2 doe. I saw a small spike and a basket 6 pt, 1 nice 8 pt, 1 big  8pt and a giant 8 or 10 pt that didn't hang around very long. All of the deer I saw were too far to take a shot  :-[ but I had a great time. My buddy did whack a nice fat doe right at dark for sausage. I  is good to know that all these bucks are on the farm cause we have none of them on camera. Guess I'll be bow hunting the first week of Nov for sure.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Md. muzzleloader hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:32:36 PM »
sounds like a great hunt. how long does ML season go? when is rifle season? bow season?

it's interesting how there is no consistency between states

get em next time. I want to see these bucks
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »
sounds like a great hunt. how long does ML season go? when is rifle season? bow season?

it's interesting how there is no consistency between states

get em next time. I want to see these bucks
Yari this was our early ML season Oct 18-20. The rest runs like this Bow- Sept. 7–Oct. 17, Oct. 21–Nov. 23, Dec. 10–Dec. 14, Dec. 30–Jan. 3, Jan. 7–Jan. 31 ML-Oct. 18–Oct. 20, Dec. 15–Dec. 29 and shotgun- Nov. 24–Dec. 8 Firearms Season is also open Jan. 4–Jan. 6 in Region B. I am in Region B BTW. There are some Sundays included in the dates I provided.  Not too confusing  --099-780

If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:49:52 PM »
Bluetoe sounds great, I just love Muzzleloading and this year I am going to take it out
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt Bluetoe.  Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 04:57:59 PM »
wow, you need a masters degree for your seasons. our's is bow until the weekend before thanksgiving, gun for 9 days, primitive weapon for a week, then bow until end of December or end of January depending on the zone.

##$%#13 i guess that is a little goofy to
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »
What ML were yiu using?

I have a scope mounted CVA camo Optima. Took it to the range a few times but never hunted with it.

I shoukd dust it off, maybe after the season is over as I have no place in commie NJ to gun hunt
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 08:52:31 AM »
Yari- yes you do need a degree it gets a little confusing.

Flint I am using  a Remington Genisis 50 cal. loaded with 2 50 gr 777 pellets and a 300 gr Barnes Expander shots really well. i hear the CVC Optima is an accurate rifle you should knock the dust off it for sure.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 07:24:04 PM »
Yari- yes you do need a degree it gets a little confusing.

Flint I am using  a Remington Genisis 50 cal. loaded with 2 50 gr 777 pellets and a 300 gr Barnes Expander shots really well. i hear the CVC Optima is an accurate rifle you should knock the dust off it for sure.

My first ML was a Remington700ML. It matched in style of my Remington 700SS 30.06 but it was the 1st ML Rem tried. I think I thew the RemML in the garbage. They upgraded since then but CVA stormed the market so I went with it.

Once the season is over I will take it to the range and give it a good go.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 02:05:28 AM »
Flint - My first in-line ML was a Remington 700ML that use the #11 Musket Cap (with a low 3 digit serial number)....My very first ML was a Dixie Hawkins 45 caliber that was put together from a kit back in the early 70's...shot pretty good groups, nothing like today ML's.....Side Lock with the #11 cap on the side, you took a shower when you cleaned it....boy, it was a pain to clean!!

These days with invention of RS, Select and Pydrodex, Triple 7 and those pellets and now the star pellets in Triple 7.....I do like the Parker Extreme Hunter and (like Bluetoe) the Barnes Expander in either the 275 (Parker) or 300 gns (Barnes) sabot bullet.....those two shoot the best 2 and 3 shot groups.

Do have a 50 caliber T/C Hawkins that I purchase use from a guy back int early 80's it shot light years ahead of the Dixie 45 caliber kit...but do have a Savage ML10 II, a T/C Omega and another Remington 700ML (this one with a 5 digit serial number) and today I shoot a CVA Accura with the Bergara Barrel on it made (or assembled) in Lawrenceville, GA (I use to live in Lawrenceville when I live in Atlanta area right off of GA 20 Hwy), I originally ordered a CVA from Cabela's many years ago and after taking it out of the box, I put it back in the box and shipped it back, what a piece of garbage it was, and then went out an bought the T/C Omega, the Savage.....both shot good and worked on both Remington's ML and changed out the #11 to a 209 Primer, made all the difference in the world....

Then because of Deerhead and Split Toe, went out and bought me a new CVA Accura 2 with the Bergara barrel....put a Bushnell DOA scope on it and never looked back, this thing shoots very good and because I use the Blackhorn 209 with the Winchester 209 Primers, this ML is deadly and is now my number 1 ML and has been for 5 years....

Got 4 ML hunts in with the CVA Accura 2 this year (with the T/C Omega as my back-up)  and now it is center-fire rifle season in GA. They have a very short ML season, saw a basket 4 pointer and a few does but they were all to young to take, did have a nice 8 pointer on the Game Trail Camera, but he was already nocturnal.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 05:53:40 PM »
Bluetoe, Sounds like it was a great hunt regardless! Good luck on the rest of the season in the other end of our state! My wife and I were away for three days visiting the Amish country in Lancaster, PA. Had a great time and got bac today. Plan on getting back out in the morning to continue the archery season!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 08:43:28 PM »
I think i went nuts and even put a Leupold ML scope on it.

Even better, I ordered it online from an Orthodox Jewish store based in NYC! The Israelis are our allies and I figured buying from them in NYC in the Libs front yard had a bit of poetic justice. Imagine, a camera store that sell hunting scopes, binos etc right in the liberal hood, Sweet!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project