New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 2018 Opening Day  (Read 255 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
2018 Opening Day
« on: October 20, 2018, 06:53:22 AM »
Today is the 2018 Opening Day in Georgia for modern firearms....Yippie....Good Luck to all the guys who are in the woods and in their Ladder Stands/Blinds/Portables as light approaches....but there is a problem, I'm here in Tennessee and You guys are in the GA woods at Deer Camp....shucks darn.....

See you guys this coming Friday around midday......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: 2018 Opening Day
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »
I can't get over how early your gun seasons are. i'm a month out. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 11:58:27 AM »
Yari - Down here in the deep South, during archery season which open up here in early September, the heat is the biggest limiting factor, we have to worry about snakes, bugs, mosquitoes (skeeters for those of us who live in the South), nats, flies, mice in your camper, bigger rats in the cook shack, and even bigger rats (also called Demo-Rats...LOL...) and did I mention Snakes, last weekend ran into about a 4 ft long black snake, he or it was a youngster...just sunning himself near camp...and tornadoes, hurricanes (I survived Micheal) and the rain, soaking rain and more rain...did I mention Snakes!! Eeks....Yea, I would say we are pretty lucky to have long hunting season....here in TN our modern rifle does not open up till generally the third weekend in November!!

So today, I will be watching the Alabama-Tennessee game on TV and slowly packing the truck up...hand warmers, cleaning kit, and have decided on taking 3 -308's, 1 - 270 WSM, 1 - 280 Rem, and 1 - 260 Rem....nothing really long range except for the 270WSM and the 280 Rem.....getting things ready here is a big deal, you cannot forget anything especially the slings for the rifles, like I do every year!! Boy oh boy, I think I have bought Slings for the rifles for the last 10 years so last year started leaving the slings in the camper!!...LOL....but once you leave to go down to GA its no coming back home....ATV is down in the woods and the trailer is down there too.....a little pile here and a little pile there and soon all the little piles will add up to one big pile I will have to load up in the truck!!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
BO - I hope you have better luck hunting deer than Tenn. has beating Bama. Roll Tide
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
I miss hunting GA

Roll Tide!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 02:12:16 AM »
Flint - Stop by anytime we have a spot for you!!!

Will head south on Friday (the 26th) and spend the next two weeks in the woods....and at Deer Camp...OMG....

Gut - Bama looked like a pro team playing a bunch of high schoolers this year....the score was 57-21 - Ouch!! Surprise Bama let TN score!!

Still will have my ThermaCell with me in the back pack this year!! With the weather cooling down a bit, the mosquitoes should be limited this year.....but the truck is packed, just got to top off the tank and get some ice and I will be set for two plus weeks in the woods......
Pictures to be posted later.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 01:27:14 PM »
2 weeks hunting? wow, that sounds like fun. the last time i did 2 weeks was AK and +4 days were tied up w/ travel. i need to start planning one of those again

ENJOY!
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »
Yari - Yes this is the first year that we will have a good group that will be in camp....We have been retiring for years and years and two years ago, I had my forth knee surgery (3 on the left and 1 on the right knee) and I certainly missed a bunch of hunting. This year is the first year in a long time that I feel great and can do climbing up in a ladder stand, and have blinds set out, but the portable climbers and I love my Gun-Slinger Climber, it was the most comfortable climber that I had every used...and used my two for years and years, but now no way I can get into them. Gave one to Deerhead and other one to Split Toe.....

Last year was a terrible year for me...I was over weight, lethargic and had no energy, I was just there!! This year is a whole new me...lost 31 lbs with another 31 to go and have more energy than I had in years....so I think I will enjoy this year, got to repair the camper roof and clean up the inside of the camper and have a couple of more blinds to put out....

So yes it will be a long two weeks, for me, I cannot go back home after a few days and take a shower and then drive back, I'm live 5 hours from camp!! ouch, the other guy in the club live and hour to an hour and a half away....the Gang all has retired but one and Deerhead is still very young to us!! LOL....so looking forward to this year hunting adventure.....Yippie!!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »
OK, I have to ask. you aren't showering for 2 weeks?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 05:10:42 PM »
Man, if we get a southeast wind over the next couple of weeks it might be painful up here!   --099-780 --099-780
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
Man, if we get a southeast wind over the next couple of weeks it might be painful up here!   --099-780 --099-780

YIKES
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
Yari - the first thing we made sure of is the wild life pooper we have a double holer!! with hunting magazines for your reading pleasure.   The Wild Life is located close to the cook shack. Next we had to add lights, fluorescent shop lights worked best for us. This is powered by a Yamaha 2800 Inverter Portable Generator. Next we added a shower inside the storage area of the cook shack....see attached pictures. Next we added tables and chairs, everyone donated something from either their basement of garage sale or ?? We had to add a stove and we added a new one, last year a member dropped out and took the old stove with him, we had a member that looked on Craig List and found one, he had to get a propane converter kit that cost him $50 so we have a brand new stove for a total of $225 in it.....a few years ago with Gut Shot and Dutch were down here during the monsoons we had we went out and got Split Toe a new grill! he loves to cook so we thought of it as well....will try and find the Walmart Heavy Duty Grill that we all chipped in and bought for Split Toe.....

I have a 30 gallon water tank that I bring down some water for showers and cooking, etc...and this is the second time that I filled it and bought it down this year with me...will also do it for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas hunt...that is the longer of the two hunts.....Life is good at Deer Camp....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 09:17:10 PM »
OK, now I can sleep at night.  @--0--0105 I was picturing 2 weeks w/ just polish showers. that would be rough. a weekend would be too long for that

the pooper close to the cook shack could be problematic w/ the wrong wind. I put mine70-80 yards from my cabin. I didn't want to take any chances as my bedroom is on that side of the cabin --099-780

i'm sure you guys will have a great time. @--0--0118 @--0--0133
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »
Flint - Stop by anytime we have a spot for you!!!

Will head south on Friday (the 26th) and spend the next two weeks in the woods....and at Deer Camp...OMG....

Gut - Bama looked like a pro team playing a bunch of high schoolers this year....the score was 57-21 - Ouch!! Surprise Bama let TN score!!

Still will have my ThermaCell with me in the back pack this year!! With the weather cooling down a bit, the mosquitoes should be limited this year.....but the truck is packed, just got to top off the tank and get some ice and I will be set for two plus weeks in the woods......
Pictures to be posted later.....

Thanks! Someday for sure!

Docs have me on schedule for another surgery. Keep those good thoughts in mind. Looks like 2020 at best for me. This year and next is toast. I can hobble out to hunt in my backyard but it is a short flat walk of 100 yards. If the darn deer go down un the gulley on my place, oh-boy!  Too many FD calls and such, the bills coming due for a adventerous life experiences. I dont recall fetting old this  fast! But, at least I can get out some. Better than not hunting!

Good luck this season!

I have not had the courage to call the Taxidermist in GA to see if my turkey fan/brard mount is still there. Best Tom I ever got!

Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »
Awesome! That looks like luxury to me vs. what I did in the past!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project