New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 223 for deer?  (Read 814 times)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: 223 for deer?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
.223 will git-r-done good bullet and shot placement are key. Good luck hope whack a nice one.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »
yes what ever heavy grain bullet you can get for it 60 grains or higher
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »
what about

73 Grain ELD - Hornady Match
https://www.luckygunner.com/223-rem-73-grain-eld-hornady-match-20-rounds

or

77 Grain Sierra MatchKing HP - Black Hills Remanufactured
https://www.luckygunner.com/223-rem-77-grain-sierra-matchking-hp-black-hills-remanufactured-50-rounds
HM these are both target loads , the ELD will leave a very large entry wound and the matckking has a thicker jacket and just mite just go through . the whitetail hunter in 60gr would be about right . In fact check with BugFixer I think he used something like it on his deer last year .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 12:02:43 PM »
Sundowner - You are exactly right, the Ballistic Tip and the ELD-X and other similar tipped bullets are great target makers but for taking game make sure that it will leave big hole in the game....I would like to say that I would use a 243 with a 100 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter of PSP or other soft point that would expand into a exit big hole.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »
I've taken two deer with a 223. Both at about 80 yards. One shot was in the neck and the other behind the shoulder. Both dropped in there tracks. I was using a 62 grain soft point. Awesome little round.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 06:46:34 AM »
Yes, I was there when Split Toe took his deer with a 223 round and it wasn't pretty...man those deer hit the ground and one was knocked completely over......

The story goes, it that I was hunting down in GA (I lived in Norcross (subrub of Atlanta) at the time) and Dad had gone home for a day or two, he had to have a shower every three or four days, so I was down there all by myself Split Toe showed up (he was working at Delta and was off during the middle of the week) at the camp where I had set up and showed him lay of the land....so we decide to go hunting...I had just dropped him off at a stand location and climbed up in mine and was up there about 5 minutes when I heard a shot, knowing it was Split Toe, it startled me a bit.....I climbed down went to where I dropped Split Toe off and sure enough saw Split Toe standing over a 6 point buck that he had shot with a 223 bullet.....the next morning got up and dropped Split Toe off and wasn't even at my stand yet when I heard Split Toe shoot again and so I turned around and headed back his way and sure enough, there he was Split Toe was standing over his deer......he had been hunting only 15 minutes!!! holy cow, those were the days, maybe back around the mid to late 70's.... --9-908

But the 223 bullet worked very well on both deer....glad after all these years it told me about the 62 gn soft point bullet...I'm sure he had told me before but had forgotten about it....LOL....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 05:05:08 PM »
bo- I've been watching some vids of guys in atlanta bowhunting and shooting some huge buck. suburban bucks in folks yards
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »
I believe everyone would agree, it's all about shot placement. 
About 50 years ago I new some fellers that market hunted in central Florida.  They were law breakers but they were conscientious about their ability to kill a deer.  They sure didn't want to have to track one and I believe they had enough heart and respect for their prey not to cripple one.  They got $50 for a dressed deer from certain "elite uptown Orlando business men".  Most of these poached deer were taken with a Winchester 61 in 22 magnum. 
All that ugly history to say the .223 is way ahead of the venerable 22 magnum that was quiet sufficient in the hands of those marksmen so many years ago. 
It's all about shot placement and knowledge of deer anatomy.
Treefarmer

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
Yari - Thanks, the big bucks are located in pockets of land, it still amazes me what two acres will yield as far as the size of these Suburbs Bucks!! Let Deerhead tell you some stories about those suburban bucks he has seen on camera!! Holy cow, they can go some monsters right under your nose and you would never know.....

The land in Norcross, GA was just begin to being developed when I first joined the Engineering firm back in 1974...most of us parked on dirt parking lot and it would be nothing to look out your window in the office and see one of the monarchs just standing there next to your truck/car....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 09:01:08 PM »
bo- I've been watching some vids of guys in atlanta bowhunting and shooting some huge buck. suburban bucks in folks yards
We have several booners taken out of Fulton and Dekalb counties each year. The city of Atlanta is in Fulton county. It's one of the largest counties in the state. North Fulton is bow only and South Fulton has a rifle season. It's amazing the number of huge bucks that are located in those counties. These deer are taken on a lot of five acre tracks.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 06:05:21 PM »
I've been thinking about this topic a lot since it was posted. I wanted to prepare my response carefully. I'm only expressing my opinion.

Many people advocate the use of the very smallest small bores for big game, the .22 centerfires. There have been many articles written on this very subject in nearly every hunting and gun magazine published in America and all the articles were guardedly in favor. Why this is a bad idea in my opinion is readily seen in a wound track analysis. The wound track created by even the most robust of .224 bullets is barely acceptable as a minimally effective lethal wound on anything larger than a 100 pound deer, their use is questionable and even in this regard the utmost of precision accuracy is required. A 64 grain bullet does not suddenly transform a .220 Swift or any other .224 cartridge for that matter into an ethical big game cartridge. The 64 grain .224 bullet has a sectional density of only .182; even the puny 85 grain .243 caliber bullet has a SD of .206 and has more terminal prowls. But mass is not the greatest problem of the .224 bullets. The greater problem comes from the design of these small bullets. These are varmint cartridges and are designed to go fast and flat to hit targets weighing less than 50 pounds. With this intended purpose expansion is not a requirement, and they don't. The hydrostatic shock on small mass weight animals is more ethical and lethal. This is to say terminal velocity versus body mass weight must be kept in an ethical range.

Once again this is my opinion. I also realize the ability to confidently use any weapon regardless of caliber makes it potentially more lethal. A confident shooter usually is a better shooter. If you're confident in your ability then I say go for it. But as always...

Practice! Practice! Practice! Then Practice some more!!!!!  ;D Dutch out
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
HM if it's still time yoy should checkout the 223 Ripout round , it's a great hog round and should put a deer down no problem , it's a bit pricey though .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 02:51:15 PM »
Because of our poor season this year, I decided to hold off...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Split toe

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »
Because of our poor season this year, I decided to hold off...
Being that you've waited this long I suggest either a 243 or 7mm-08 over the 223. Those will give effective results out to 200 to 300 yards. Recoil is very light on each caliber.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »
My only reason for wanting to do this was to see if I could kill a deer with every rifle I own. I may just put that off and keep it a yote only gun
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

New Page 3

Google Ad