New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 223 for deer?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
223 for deer?
« on: October 18, 2018, 11:04:09 AM »
As I am mostly meat hunting this season I am considering using my AR-15 to take a deer. I know its a small round... I have a great scope (thanks to Bo during a talkhunting event) and its very accurate. My shot should be less than 100 yards and I am thinking about using the Hornady VMax 55 grn ballistic tip round. I just want to see if I can take a deer with this rifle. It will probably be a one time thing since its hard for me to use anything except for one of my .308's.

Pros? Cons? Suggestions?
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: 223 for deer?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »
A .223 can be devistating on deer, or it can be disasterous.

I would use heavier bullets in the 62 to 70gr range.  The trouble with the .223 is finding a round that will penetrate and expand without breaking apart or losing energy  before it hits the organs.

With a good broadside shot I would not hesitate with the range you mentioned.

The other downside not related to performance is they are awefull loud, esp from an enclosed blind.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 12:59:24 PM »
A .223 can be devistating on deer, or it can be disasterous.

I would use heavier bullets in the 62 to 70gr range.  The trouble with the .223 is finding a round that will penetrate and expand without breaking apart or losing energy  before it hits the organs.

With a good broadside shot I would not hesitate with the range you mentioned.

The other downside not related to performance is they are awefull loud, esp from an enclosed blind.

Hi Mike, Just like MI Bowhunter said a heaver bullet is much better!  I would not hesitate to take my 223 out and use it on a big deer.  As we always say with every thing shot placement is most important.  But the 223 has killed a lot of deer.  Have fun and can't wait to see pics.       
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
.223 will take down a deer but I would go with a heavier  bullet like 60 or 70gr. and a copper solid ballistic tip if possible .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »
Shot placement and bullet construction are your two main criteria.  You are plenty aware of the importance of placement.  More than just bullet weight, I'd be particular about bullet construction and frankly wouldn't use a Vmax.  They're accurate but designed more as a fur friendly varmint round and may not consistently give you the penetration you want for venison ventilation.  A jacketed soft point would be my choice at the moment.  If you want a plastic tipped bullet the nosler ballistic tip is a more robust bullet for deer than the Vmax. I don't hate the Vmax but wouldn't use it for a deer or hog.  Take a look at something like Sierra's 63 gr SMP.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 03:44:02 PM »
A guy I know told me he had used a 223 on deer,  and neck shots did quite a job on the deer.  A head shot would definitely put a deer down.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 04:26:48 PM »
i agree w/ the above. the most important part might be the small hole. chances are he will run off. you will have little or no blood trail.

why are you using the 223 instead of the 308?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 06:13:24 PM »
I agree with Yari - Why not a AR10 or a AR15 in 300BO or in 6.5 Grendel or in 6.8 SPC II ?? Same Lower, but a new upper (and possible magazines). There will be a lot of deer taken with a AR15 this hunting season....

If by some slim of a chance I would use a AR15 in 223 on deer, I would use the heaviest bullet that I could...most of my AR15 shoot great using 75 or 77 Gn Black Hills in it. They shoot so well that I don't even hand load....most of them shoot quarters at 200 and have a couple of 22-250 that shoot quarter size groups at 250 yards...now I do reload for the 22-250....but sill would not use a 223 on Deer, maybe on Doe(s)

Just my two cents worth....   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 09:21:10 PM »
I probably wouldn't do it either given that I have other options in hand, but a lot of people are taking deer successfully with .222 & .223 rifles.  Does it have the massive knockdown power of a larger cartridge?  No, but it has enough with the right placement & the right bullet.  I wouldn't tout it as the best thing to go with, but have pretty high confidence that HM will be selective enough with his shots to make it work just fine.  Have seen plenty of goofballs wounding deer with 12 gauge slugs at ranges you couldn't believe (very close), so for sure the .223 will result in some lost animals too if the user isn't pretty proficient.  Give it a go HM and let us know how things turn out.
and enjoy it!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 08:12:22 AM »
LOL. Love the responses so keep them coming.

Why am I using a 223 instead of one of my normal deer rifles?
Because I want to see if I can kill a deer (doe) with it. Its a challenge and it would be cool to say every rifle I own has taken a deer. Its a one time thing.

Why dont I use a AR-10 or a blackout?
Because I dont own one. however, I am definitely open to someone donating one.  @--0--0120

I can buy a bigger bullet, and will probably do that. I just thought I would ask about one of the rounds I already have.

I would probably pass on a buck or even a big doe. The goal is a small doe for meat. I know its an odd idea but I got it in my head to make a kill with every rifle I own and I want to try.

So...

Best bullet (store bought)?

Best shot placement?

Im a pretty good shot so I am confidant of being able to hit what I want or pass on the shot.
TalkHunting  Founder

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »
I have an AR10 and a 300BO upper I could loan you...but I'm not yet ready to totally let them go

The AR10 has night vision. ;-D
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
HM- i get that. it's always good to 'justify' every gun

i would shoot just like a bow. right behind the shoulder. avoid any bone. you will likely obliterate the vitals as i don't know if the bullet will hold together. at least this is what i found w/ my daughter's .243. also, you may not get an exit hold

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
I have an AR10 and a 300BO upper I could loan you...but I'm not yet ready to totally let them go

The AR10 has night vision. ;-D

If I did that I would not be taking a deer with my rifle. I will have to insist that it be gifted to me   @--0--0120
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:33:19 AM by Hunt Master »
TalkHunting  Founder

Online Madgomer

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »