New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Another Hurricane for Deer Season - Michael  (Read 296 times)

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Another Hurricane for Deer Season - Michael
« on: October 08, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »
Looks like another one to dump rain on us.  This one is coming up from the Gulf Coast.

Did not bow hunt as we were getting ready for Hurricane Florence and her hanging around for days.  Then the clean up and drying out.  Got 25 inches of rain with last one, 3-4 inches forecasted here for this one.

At least got to fight the skeeters while Muzzel Loader hunting.   
We are going to start getting the rain around Wednesday thru Friday.  Gun season opens Saturday and I was going to my dog club which is 35 miles from Wilmington (where Florence came in) which got over 30 inches of rain.  Now more on the way.
Looks like I will be hunting behind my house, high ground.

Such is life
PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
Re: Another Hurricane for Deer Season - Michael
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 07:21:31 AM »
YEah I just heard that on the news this morning.  The wife and I are headed to Savannah/Tybee Island, GA tomorrow to meet up with some friends.  Looks like it is going to be wet all week.  Too bad the plane tickets and rooms are non-refundable or I would cancel in a heartbeat.  In addition, the temperatures in OK are dropping tomorrow with the highs in the 60's the entire week...ugh!

Online Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 08:01:36 AM »
I saw this also, and it looks like it's not coming this far north. PJ you guys sure don't need anymore water on the ground there. Best of luck to you. Like us grunts always had to do "seize the high ground"  @--0--0123 Take advantage of what you have available.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season coming soon
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:20:13 AM »
you need a house boat    ##$%#1118
turkey season was a bust hope deer season is better

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:37:34 AM »
I feel your pain, just not as bad. the cabin is saturated and very muddy. more rain today-Wednesday. makes walking the hills very slippery

good luck. you never know what might have moved in w/ the flooding
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 06:48:56 PM »
It will be north of m6 Florida home. Prayers sent for those in its direct path.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Online Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 07:00:48 PM »
Stay safe and dry all of my southern friends.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 08:00:54 PM »
Y'all be careful, hang in there.  We've finally been getting some rain in the last few days.  Got a little over 3" since Friday, finally started seeing some puddles this morning.  Beautiful today, but more rain coming tomorrow.  Farmers are grumbling as they haven't finished corn & bean harvest, but it is what it is.  Feast or famine it seems - if this continues into the winter some areas are likely to have a heck of a snow pile.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 08:15:37 AM »
Is it legal for you to deer hunt out of a floating duck blind? Be safe and hopefully you keep dry.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 05:58:54 AM »
Is it legal for you to deer hunt out of a floating duck blind? Be safe and hopefully you keep dry.

Deer cannot be over they feet in water when shot.  As long as the deer is on high ground NOT swimming and you are not shooting from a roadway (road under water) in a county where illegal.   -00-9  ##$%#113

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 06:27:25 AM »
Looks like we're in the path also, while we need the rain PJ you guys need to catch a break!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 08:06:44 AM »
Looks like Atlanta is getting lucky again!  We are just missing the high winds and bad rain by a few miles.   ##$%#11
We are going to get some rain and wind but not the bad stuff south of us will be getting.  Prayers sent to everyone in
Michael's path
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 08:17:45 PM »
Hard to tell so far compared to Homestead in 1992. 

Panhandle residents hurt for sure.

Area not as congested relative to other places so the insurance industry has the money to pay the claims.

I did get Flood and Hurricane insurance in the voluntary market for my house in Florida.

I hope these folks have insurance too. Need both types of policies. Deductibles are big, almost would need a loan to pay off $10k+ where some of these deductibles come in but it getting smacked like some of these homes in the videos, the deductible will be minor to the check the insurance comany will have to give for these total losses.

Hurricane season will not end until 11/1 but mother nature can do what she wants when she wants.

Prayers sent to those impacted and those helping these folks recover. I bet there are a lot of FD, PD, EMT, Utility workers etc resoponding that  may find out their place got hit but they carry on in the job they gotta do for others!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »
I haven't taken time to post much since Michael visited us on the 10th of October.  First I want to say to all who might read this, I am so very grateful for God's hand of protection on our home!  He allowed two trees, a large Live Oak and  a old growth Long Leaf Pine to stand.  These trees are literally inches away from our house.  We lost many trees in the yard, Cedars/Junipers, oaks and pines.  One big pine fell due east and clipped the front of our pump house without damaging the well, left enough room for this old man to crawl under and attach a pig tail to the pressure switch to plug into a generator.  Had that particular tree fell to the south as did all the rest, it would have taken out a power pole with transformer and then jerked all the electrical out of the north wall of our house.  Praise the Lord for his mercy!  Others in our community were not so fortunate and have totally destroyed homes and then there is a neighbor lady that had all the big pines in her yard to fall, in every direction but on her house!  Lots of blue tarps are seen in the community. The videos on the news don't do justice to the actual situation.  Our area was on the west side of the eye so we received winds out of the north, just to the east it is unbelievable.  The devastation to the old homes and businesses in the small towns is just plainly heart breaking to see.

We still had 30 acres of timber to sell, most of it was 35 years old, had been managed and thinned, a little nest egg if you will.  Most of it is on the ground.  One figure posted by the State calculated there  was $1.6 Billion in timber on the ground across the Panhandle. 

We were without power for 11 days and 23 hours, phone and internet out a few days more, cell service was spotty.  We have a gas cook top and an old Corning Ware percolator so coffee and hot meals were no problem.  Ran the freezers and refrigerators for about 4 hours, twice a day and didn't lose any food.  Cold showers when the well was on the generator.  Our son brought us another generator and we used it exclusively on the well.  We then fired up the TV and the satellite and were amazed at what we had been through.

The deer hunting will be different.  The grandsons shooting house had been moved to a "deep woods" spot, natural woods, pines, oaks, cedars, grape vines, etc.  It took over an hour to work my way to that location.  I found the camera that was monitoring two trails, it was pointing down toward the ground.  There were over 6000 pictures on it, about a dozen of them showed activity before the storm then 6000 of the same leaves every time the wind moved a leaf.  My other camera at the Durana Clover plot was broken from its mount and was in the water when I found it shortly after the storm.  It showed a good buck the night before the storm.  Wren's Abruzzi Rye had been planted a few weeks before the storm and the Clover had been fertilized but we had at least 8.7" of rain in the gage. I'm sure there was more rain than that because for a while it was blowing sideways.  A couple of roof panels are missing from the big shooting house overlooking the Rye, Clover and pine trees.  It's a sad sight but the deer are still leaving tracks in the new plot that is recovering a lot better than I thought it would.

The hunting lease I've been in for so long had some damage, the pines on that property are only about 10 years old and some are bent/leaning over.  The woods road to my stand area had a dozen or so pines across it.  Sawed them out this morning and will take the tractor with the loader and push the debris out of the way.  My 20 year old shooting house at this site was blown to the ground, it seemed to be salvageable as it was still all together.  There is a little "shooting trailer" at this site that we have used for a couple of years since I gave up most of my climbing due to a couple of joint replacements.  This should be the place for the grandsons to hunt on Thanksgiving.

I'll post a few pictures of our mess: 1st should be the road into the deep woods stand, 2nd, the camera and 3rd the size of some of the natural growth pines that are down.  I'll add a few more later.
Treefarmer
Had a malfunction with the pictures.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:10:53 PM by treefarmer »

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 07:14:15 PM »
Continued pictures:

New Page 3

Google Ad