New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: You never know when a rifle becomes a real good shooter  (Read 197 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
You never know when a rifle becomes a real good shooter
« on: October 04, 2018, 07:25:51 AM »
Back in the Winter of 2012, after hunting season was over, had been looking what short heavy barrel that has been on the market, was working at the time, working a lot of OT, and had mention to many fellow shooters/hunters that I like the short heavy barrel rifles, mostly in 308, when a guy at work who is on another forum told me about this very short heavy barrel rifle, so I looked at it on line and sent this GA boy and email asking for more pictures and details...it was a F&N Patrol Rifle, 16.5" heavy barrel with 12 twist in the barrel...he said that he worked at a Pawn shop and had gotten this rifle in about 5 years before (that puts it in the 2006 to 2007 year). He told me that it was back in the far corner of the stock room and he had forgotten about it.....once it was found and put it out in the store on display, nobody even looked at it. Heck who would want a short heavy barrel 308, right! Nobody in the right mind would want it....LOL....

So I got all the details about it and did some studying on it, and this guy wanted $700 for it and I got it for $600 cash and had to drive to Jackson, GA. only about a few miles from where I hunted at for 25 years, so I knew the area...we met at McDonald's and I looked at it and bought it...it came with all the papers, plastic wrapping, bolt out, factory target, Picatinny rail, etc...so it looked new and the guy was a few years younger at the time than I was....had to drive almost 5 hours one way to pick it up....so we met on a Saturday morning, my wife thought and still thinks that I am one crazy guy, for getting up very early and driving down to meet him we met around 10 AM, that meant that I had to leave around 5 AM my time in order to arrive at the appointed hour.....

After getting it home, check it out and then cleaned it checked the twist rate in the barrel, looked down the barrel with the old Hawk-eye borescope, adjusted the trigger down to 2.5 lbs. Now for the scope...chose a Nikon Monarch Gold Plus scope for it. It is a 1.5-6X x 42mm scope - Great scope...mounted it, put a cant level on it and then went to work on the load...humm...let me see, how about a 150 gn Sierra Game King, flat base, round nose....used my Viht 150 power and it was magic.....

Could not believe the targets I was shooting with this rifle....Only shot this rifle 55 times and the first 25 were break in round, meaning cleaning after each round....attached is the second target I ever had shot at 100 yards, shoots six, seven and eight from this rifle (shot 9-12-2012)....simply amazing rifle...the last picture is the latest one that I shot (9-20-2016) with this rifle, shots 53, 54 and 55. I think I will locked down this load! what do you think??

The reason why I am telling you guys this story is because I will take this rifle to the range today with me to check out to see how much that I have lost...remember, I try to sight all my short range rifles at 1 inch high at 100 yards....my mid-range rifles at 2" high at 200 yards and my long range rifles 3" high at 300 yards.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: You never know when a rifle becomes a real good shooter
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
nice grouping. i think you are good
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 07:10:27 AM »
I'd say you could lock things down as it looks like a shooter for sure!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »
Yeah, methinks you're safe to lock down that load/scope/trigger combo.  In the future if it doesn't shoot right you might need to start by looking in the mirror for the issue!   
 --099-780

Almost boring when a gun shoots like that!  (I like boring though)
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
Guys - Here is what I mean, this target was shot yesterday....This thing is amazing....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
yea I really like the FN actions too. NICE shootin BO

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 10:18:44 PM »
You know my pa10 in 308 has a 18" barrel and 1in  9 twist and also shoots great , in fact consistently hits a 3" gong at 200 yards .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »
One of the rifles I take down with me this year is this rifle, "Stumpy" F&N Patrol Rifle, it is a 308 in a 16.5" heavy barrel, with 12 twist. Have adjusted the trigger down to a shade below 3 lbs and it has a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X x 42mm with a 30mm tube....this rifle is set up for 100 to 150 yard shot......

One down, three more rifles to go...hummm....

Maybe the Cooper 52, 280 Rem with a Leupold VX6 2-12X x 44mm with a 30mm Tube, sweet scope and nice set up, maybe a ????????
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »
that's a shorty. they call them brush guns up here
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »
Yari - This "stumpy" can shoot out to 200 yards easily and have worked on the load and its 12 twist in the short barrel, it loves 150 and 155 gn pills, never tired 165 or 168 gn pills in it....I can see why they would call them that...

The Forest Service Company will start burning our land so that within a year or two they will plant some new seedling pines trees....should be some interesting hunting the next few years......

It is going down with me and be my #1 shooter this year....in the blind and most of the ladder stands...I am bringing down a 270WSM and a 280 for my long rang calibers...have sighted both of them at 1" high at 200 yards...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad