New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: High Temps  (Read 174 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
High Temps
« on: October 02, 2018, 09:32:24 AM »
Here in western Maryland we have had really hot weather since the season started. I've been out twice since Sept 7th. The two mornings I went out it was in the low 50's and pretty cool with a slight breeze so I felt comfortable about the time window should I get a deer. (I didn't). I know you guys in the south deal with this all the time but not here up north. What is the hottest temperature you feel comfortable hunting in? For example, if it is 60 degrees, how big of a window do I have to gut, drag and get the deer to the processor before I have to start worrying about spoilage?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:15:06 AM by Bearclaw »
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
Re: High Temps
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
You have 4 hours for meat to be between 41F and 135F before an unacceptable amount of bacteria can be grown on the outer surface.  After 4 hours in the danger zone (41-135F) susceptible populations (older people, children, people with compromised immune systems, etc.) could become ill.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 01:40:07 PM »
i had a butcher tell me "if you find and butcher a deer w/i 24 hours, you can eat it. if it smells, put it in a diluted mix of H2O and vinegar to remove the smell, then rinse"

if you are asking about hottest temps, i hunted in the 90's in MO on Halloween. it was on the calendar, so i didn't have a choice 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 06:39:47 PM »
I hunted Georgia early season temps in high 90ís

I did get deer but was fortunate as the stream at my stand was at the top of a stream that snaked around like a big S shape.

Gut out the deer, hit cool flowing water, over ground, in stream 2nd time, over ground , in stream 3rd time, on ground for long drag up a logging trail. Took most of an hour. Good thing I was younger. Off to processor, took one hour, dropped in their freezer, come back when ready, venision was fine.

Did not have that set up in Alabama. Got deer back to house, hung it up, off with hide, butcher it myself, then into coolers with ice. Drove back 2+ hours to Georgia, deer venision was fine. At that was before hig( end coolers came to market.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »
Dad's rule of thumb was generally to have an outside temp of low 40's or below to hang one more than a few hours, but I've rolled the dice on a couple of occasions & left some hanging in 50F temps without issue.  If you've had the opportunity to rinse them out before hanging, make every effort to get the meat as dry as possible to limit the bacteria growth & get that cavity propped open.  Kingben's statement is probably a pretty good one to follow to be safe. 

As for what temps I'll hunt in:  It's a stretch for me to hit the woods unless it's in the low 60s or cooler, and I'm not opposed to going out at -10 as long as the wind's not too bad.  If it's 90 (like we're supposed to be tomorrow) I won't be hunting for anything but a cold drink.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 06:53:05 AM »
I've hunted every year in Kentucky for the last several that was low 90's and miserable. I've said I'll never do that again, but there I go hunting opening weekend again this year and once again told myself I wouldn't do that. I'll probably say the same next year.

King Ben is spot on. 41 degrees starts bacterial growth, albeit slow, but once you get to around 68-72 degrees bacterial growth DOUBLES every 15-20 minutes. Think about that next time you ride your deer around in the back of the truck!!!

I'll even let yall chew on something else. A deer's body temperature is 100-102 degrees on average. So if its 45 degrees or warmer out your deer meat is growing bacteria as soon as the deer takes it's last breathe. Air temp doesn't regulate bacterial growth, MEAT TEMP does. 

My recommendation... kill, clean, cool as soon as possible. The warmer it is outside, the faster you need to be with the knife.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »
any were from near freezing to 80+ for CT...simple solution is to freeze solid gallon jugs of water and keep them in a good cooler while hunting...once you get the critter field dressed and back to your rig, place the jugs into the cavity and go from there...cools them down really fast...

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 05:43:27 AM »
Many years ago, I was talking to Randy who him hunted down in GA when we both were down in the tree hunting in our underwear!! boy it was hot then and started of the 2018 Season for me will also be in the 85+ range, as I said on another post, get out the Thermacell now!! and get it going...the temps should be about 10 degrees cooler than it is today....

But it's going to be a hot one to start off this year for me....We have been in the deer lease for about 10 years now and we use to hunt just 20 miles north of where we hunt at today...and it sure seems like it was a lot colder there than it is where we hunt at now!!! I have plenty of layers of really good insulated underwear that is going to waste now...LOL...glad it is and have a bunch of expired hand warmers that I don't use these days....but that will all changed as I (and we all are getting there) age....somehow our circulation slows down and our skin gets thinner....but that is why i don't sell my insulated underwear, know its coming.....LOL, its going to be a hot one!!

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season coming soon
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
it is 63 here tonight
turkey season was a bust hope deer season is better

dave 1211

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 06:54:43 PM »
In Bama I cut them up in the heat right after getting them out of the woods and up to the house. It takes a while to but never had issues with the meat.

Neverhung a deer regardless of temp. Hang, cut and pack that morning or afternoon depending on when I shot them.

Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 03:57:21 PM »
In Bama I cut them up in the heat right after getting them out of the woods and up to the house. It takes a while to but never had issues with the meat.

Neverhung a deer regardless of temp. Hang, cut and pack that morning or afternoon depending on when I shot them.

How I do it every time ##$%#115

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

New Page 3

Google Ad