New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Thermcell for us Southern Boys - Panic  (Read 451 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Thermcell for us Southern Boys - Panic
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:42:30 AM »
Getting Ready for the first real hunting trip down in GA was getting ready slowly packing the truck. Will try and go to the range again this week, last week there was no range results because it was packed last Friday...it had rained for three straight days here in East Tennessee. So Friday at the range was a very busy day, there were 5 trucks and 4 trucks waiting, I just saw what was happening and turned around and headed home (30 to 35 minute drive)....will try again this week after today's Colonoscopy  ##$%#117 and tomorrow's dentist new crown installation  @--0--0126....will try and go to the range on my Bday (10-4)  @--0--0118  for one last time before heading down..... --09--0

Was plundering through my piles and could not find my Thermacell!! OMG, panic started to set in... --7-8-9....either is in a box somewhere in the external garage along with the refills or it is down in the camper, either way, got to lay my hands on it....so I ordered a new one from Midway this morning, a holder, extra butane and refill packs along with a Thermacell machine itself...should be in this Friday....ordered enough refills for this 6 or 7 day hunt and the 14 day hunt....the order was over $100 bucks!! Ouch, but the Thermacell machine works folks, believe me and ask anybody that hunts in the South this time of year.....so don't leave home without your Thermacell.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Thermcell for us Southern Boys - Panic
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:28:58 AM »
Had my Thermacell going Saturday for the start of our muzzleloader and once more this morning!

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:33:40 AM »
been cool here lately. no bugs to speak of. I'M JUST GLOATING ##$%#15
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 06:08:23 PM »
Yeah, I don't normally use my thermacell for deer hunting but might have to this year.  It was our bow opener today, way too hot to hunt (didn't have time anyway).  Skeeters have been coming back in the last couple of weeks with a vengeance, I'm ready for a good frost to kick their butts for the rest of the year.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »
your right Bo, the thermacells work, we don't have to use them up north this time of year but spring is a killer like down there
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:15:25 PM »
Good luck with the doc and dentist. Make sure the dentist does not do the butt probe and the Doc do your teeth  --099-780

Amazon has them, fast delivery if you have Amazon prime. I bought a huge box of dirt scent pads with the cartridges. If all else fail, WalMart in many places has it back in 5be camoing section.

I found new holders over the clumsly original green holders. Belt clip on the back in lieu of that old snap on deal. Fits easier too.

Good luck hunting!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:19:13 PM by Flintlock1776 »
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »
With all the rain last weekend and standing water everywhere since, Iíve never seen a mosquito outbreak like Iím seeing now.  Itís horrible. Thermacell sales should be running strong in NE TX! 

If you can find them citronella and lemon grass plants will help repel them. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 04:21:09 PM »
It is one piece of equipment you need if you're hunting with the bugs no question.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 05:11:43 AM »
Russ - Do use citronella around camp but not on the clothes or in the blind...according to the long range forecast it going to be hot down there in the upper 80's!!! Holy Cow that going to be hot....but a cool front supposedly to come in around the 13th of Oct...notice I said "supposedly".....then cooler and cooler from then on!!! Yippie....have gotten three propane heater from the blind many years ago and never had to use them...just a good sleeping bag down to say about 40F is all we need for now, maybe 20F for our two week long hunt...have started loading up the truck, check out the Generator that I plan to use...it is Honda #3 (I rotate them every year), it is a 2000 Watt have run like a charm over the 10+ years that I have own it.....

Will head to the range this Thursday for the final trip of the season (before all the crazies get out there!) and do some final checking of the rifles, then the big decision of what to take down with me....at last on 308 will be in the mix, it is a Rem LTR in 308...it is my go to rifle, it can rain on it and clean it up and it shoots 3/4" all day long at 100 yards...have even taken it apart at the range just to check it out.....

Oh yea, the Doc and Dentist Visit went well, the Doc is much grayer and the Dentist and I talked about Dove hunting and Shotguns...they found on polyp and it was benign and they burn it out. I was in and out of there in 45 minutes from walking in to staggering out....The Crown went in OK without a hitch, I asked the dentist about curing of the cement that they use to glue one on with and he said it takes about 24 hours to cure completely.....boy does that medicine clean you out or what...I lost another 5 lbs with it!! so I have lost 31 lbs since the first of the year...way to go Bo...keep it up....

After the range trip, will start to pack up the truck for both trips down....am getting excited about this season....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 11:02:57 AM »
nice work on the wt loss. that's great

i had my physical yesterday. so far all the test were good. i still have several coming. so far, the only meds i take are for prostate. nothing i can you about that @--0--0117
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 05:51:53 PM »
Thought the heat would subside a bit and would have limited use of the Thermacell, but the heat is going to be us for at least another week. Maybe, just maybe, the heat will go away at the end of my hunting down in GA, this trip anyway!..So they are saying, right now, as we speak, that there is a cool front - notice I did not say cold front, but only a cool front will be here maybe on the 15th or 16th of Oct....Will have my generator standing by with the fan blowing directly on me...I think I am the last guy down there that doesn't have a window unit in his camper....Split Toe, Jap51, Cobbguy, Deerhead, Metalman all of them have one....but not me...humm.....may have to get one next year...but we will see what happens first...maybe a new ATV or UTV first.....

Should be an interesting hunt, hopefully it won't be hunt the first and last hour of the day! Snakes will be still very active on the way to the stand...watch out for them......eeks!!

Am headed to the range tomorrow around noon, thinking it would be better to go on a Thursday than a friday....and to go midday......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »
Your new knee will be thanking you for that 31 pound reduction - congrats on that!  Stay cool & hydrated down there.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 08:06:29 PM »
snakes and deer hunting shouldn't be in the same sentence. 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad