New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: weather apps  (Read 331 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
weather apps
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
does anyone have a good weather websites? I was going to hunt the buck I had a pic on my dad's place tonight. SCOUT LOOK WEATHER site said east wind. that is 100% the wrong wind for that stand. since it's only 40 acres I didn't want to blow him out of there. I really don't want to educate him!

the wind was WNW by 5:30pm. this app has been terrible. they are more wrong than right. if I can't even rely on their wind prediction, what good are they? I was checking the site hourly and they didn't waiver all day

anyone having any luck w/ other websites?   
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
Re: weather apps
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:44:44 AM »
I've always had decent luck with weather channel app, I'm really liking drury's deercast app, it tells you weather and whether or not it would be a good night for deer movement based on moon phase and barometric pressure. its not 100% accurate but its pretty darn close, I've gone out a few times to watch deer on bean fields and nights they said would be great I saw lots of deer, nights they said not good or good, I did see less deer. Its free for this year so I thought I would give it a try. Good Luck! I won't be able to get out until probably nebraska rifle, another year of no bow hunting for me. farming is taking up too much hunting time.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:36:47 AM »
I use accuweather, but i don't recall if it has wind direction.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 07:48:12 AM »
I use Weatherbug.  Not always accurate, but it does show wind speed and direction.  You can view the info hourly, or day by day, 10 days out.  Also shows sunrise and sunset, etc
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 10:08:51 PM »
MyWeatherPro

$5
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »
Yari, I have used both WeatherBug and Accuweather - of course both free apps (yeah I'm a tightwad).  Both will give wind speed & direction forecasts, both are often wrong as you found today with Scoutlook.  What really frustrates me is that both of the apps I've tried have daily and hourly forecasts, and often the two don't agree for wind, temperature, or precip.  I never know which one is more trustworthy (maybe neither one is, don't know if they come from the same source or if they just get updated on different intervals or ???)

The other thing I'll say is the last couple of weeks we've seen a lot of wind reversals around here.  Don't know if that's because we're right on the transition for the jet stream or what, but things have been really weird.  Not terribly strong winds, but really switching a lot from day to day and for that matter even during the day.  Had a very light breeze out of the southwest at about 7:30 this morning and a little heavier breeze out of the north tonight at about 9.  Those light swirling winds give me fits where I bowhunt - I'm actually better off with a stiffer wind from a consistent direction.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 07:31:02 AM »
Roger, I have noticed the same difference between the hourly and daily forecasts.  I tend to believe the hourly forecastare more accurate.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »
apps do me no good up north. i don't get service. i normally just print off the hourly forecast and us it for a baseline of info. it's been so poor lately, i can't believe it. as a matter of fact, last year was poor also

i sent my email to the drury forecast. i hope they are better
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »
a big part of the problem is where the app actually gets the data. For example, accuweather lets me pick my city but when you dig down deep, the weather station it actually pulls from is 30 miles away from me. weather channel app does a better job but not by much.

Wind is hard to forecast because topography changes it dramatically...  We usually decide which stand to hunt after we get there and check the wind for ourselves...  and then it will change as soon as you get in the tree..

I used to use all the apps that gave barometric pressure, moon times and best feed times but my hunting is based on my schedule (when I have time to hunt) and not so much on when the best time to hunt is. I have to hunt when I can.. even if an app tells me its pointless.. LOL
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
Agree with all points HM.  Maybe after retirement I can be more selective on my fishing/hunting times, but the way things are stacking up I'm gonna be pretty busy then too (yeah I know, I have a prioritization issue).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 06:23:59 PM »
I have used an app called Huntstand that gives me wind direction and speed with a pinpoint where my stand is. Up in the mountains here I have seen the wind change in four different directions within minutes. It was a blizzard at the time and if you wanted to play the wind, good luck. Even in retirement, I hunt when I can and don't have stands everywhere so I hunt where I hunt, With my 'fanatic' scent control, I often have deer downwind 20 yards from me and don't get busted.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 08:11:50 PM »
Bearclaw what is your fanatic scent control? If you don't mind me asking.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 09:20:41 PM »
bear- i'm the same way, but on a 40 acre piece I didn't want to risk it. this would be the 1 time I get busted. it's been years since I got busted. this is a good buck to, which is why i'm being so careful. I posted a pick of him a couple weeks ago
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 10:11:44 PM »
It's pretty basic but it works for me. I use Hunters Specialties scent free clothes wash, dryer sheets, wipe all my gear down with the scent free lotion, use the spray when I leave the car and refresh when I get to my stand. All my clothes plus the backpack. I store all my hunting clothes in the Hunters Specialties airtight green zippered bags with an earth scent wafer. I also shower before I leave the house with the Hunters Specialties soap and shampoo and use their deodorant. My towel is also washed in the scent free soap. Boots are also washed in the unscented clothes soap. It may seem excessive but it works for me and I am in a routine with it so it's just part of my hunting day. There are other good products out there but I have been using Hunters Specialties products for many years and they work for me.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »
Awesome detail.  Thank you Bearclaw.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad