New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: millers800  (Read 178 times)

Offline millers800

• 2017 TalkHunting Turkey Hunting Champion
  • 7 Point
millers800
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:20:52 AM »
This past weekend was the early antlerless season and I was able to finally get out on Sunday evening. Since we had opened corn fields not too long ago I figured getting into a fence row at the end of one of the fields and waiting on something to come out of the corn would be my best bet. So about 5:30 I headed out in just my barn clothes which was just a pair of jeans and a t shirt and my orange vest, as I got to end of the corn I looked around the corner and there were already 3 deer feeding on the cut headland. Now in my rush to get out there I may have taken a few too many steps and been caught in the open, luckily it was 2 doe fawns and a button buck, they saw me but didnt seem to care or didnt know any better. After a few minutes of standing and watching them hoping they do something I peek farther around and see a head and neck sticking out past the corn and I could tell it was a good size doe so I eased back so she wouldn't bust me and continued to wait. A few minutes later the 3 younger ones went down one of the open passes down the middle of the corn and I decided to sneak down figuring they would be working away from me and I might get a shot. As I got a 3 or 4 rows from the opening I could see one of the fawns coming back my way so I tucked into the row as best I could. Just as luck would have it she came right out and spots me at like 10 yards, she proceeds to keep coming and then starts stomping at me and then is followed by the button buck who could care less. As the little doe continues to work her way down wind of me stomping the whole time I see the doe coming and all I think was this was a nice walk. The doe comes out and shes got me dead to rights, starts bobbing her head stomping but she keeps coming following the kids until shes down wind too, at this point I'm like screw it so I shoulder the muzzle loader and then they take off. They kinda half run to the south about 50 yards and she stops, turns around stomps and then starts blowing at me and I decide that its time for that to stop, I settle the cross hairs and take my shot. She wasn't the biggest doe ever but shes gonna be tasty, and isn't gonna snort at me again.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: millers800
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:13:08 AM »
Good job!  It's great when a plan comes together.  The early doe season is not open in my area this year, again.  Wasn't open last year either.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:36:09 AM »
I can just see you not moving and being as still as possible.  Not believing they are walking past you like that.  Good story and some good eating.   @--0--0123

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »
Good story.  It always makes you feel good getting the one blowing at you!  Congrats on the doe.

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:40:49 AM »
If you have the right terrane staking deer is fun. Congrats
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:34:03 AM »
Congrats nice story!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »
Great story and congrats on the doe .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »
Congrats on a fine doe, I love the story and your hunting outfit was awesome, and you didn't have to spend 300 bucks on the fancy scent blocker outfit and no stink spray.  @--0--0133
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 10:33:23 PM »
Congratulations, sometimes it works out despite the fact that it shouldn't.  Enjoy!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline millers800

• 2017 TalkHunting Turkey Hunting Champion
  • 7 Point
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 10:45:56 PM »
Congrats on a fine doe, I love the story and your hunting outfit was awesome, and you didn't have to spend 300 bucks on the fancy scent blocker outfit and no stink spray.  @--0--0133
Well I do have the scent blocker suit and the scent killer spray but on that day I guess faded jeans and barn smell did the trick.

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 11:28:15 AM »
Congrats nice doe should be tasty. Your story is great and shows that you never know what is going to happen when you are out there hunting.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad