New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results for 9-19-2018  (Read 180 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results for 9-19-2018
« on: September 20, 2018, 01:03:34 AM »
Let me primmest this by saying it was an interesting day at the range yesterday...the weather was just as interesting as well as the wildlife was....Arrive there around 2:45 PM it was 91 in the shade and 57% humidity, it was building because of the thunderstorms in the area.....Had to pack up one time thinking the thunderstorm was so close you could see it coming (up a cloud, as we say down here in the south)....I was there from 3 PM till 7:00 PM, it seem like the range was just for me...except for the turkeys and the deer I saw.....One time I went down to pull one target and looked back and a thunderstorm was right there!! it was dark and ominous!! I let the wind swirl again until it calmed down. Did not pack up this time but felt a drop or two on my hat....

All targets were at 100 yards again today....took the three 7mm-08's with me and the one and only 260 Rem in a Savage model 10....the 7mm-08's were made up of a Remington 700 Varmint that I purchased way back in 1983 and it has been a couple of years since I shot it, but as it turned out it shot the best of all the rounds (this rifle has always shot well, many years ago I replaced the Remington trigger with a Shilen trigger and it shot much better with a lighter trigger).......the other one was the Streyr M96 Prohunter with a Zeiss Conquest, (this rifle I bought when I got married to my second wife, wanted to get her the perfect rifle and scope). The last 7mm-08 was a old Remington 700 ADL that the original owner (now deceased) told me that he bought it when Remington made it a standard production rounds way back in 1981...he put a fiberglass stock on it and yesterday at the range wonder why this rifle has not shot well at all it may be due to the stock rubbing against the barrel just a tad...so will work on that today but will not take it to the range anymore this year.....Had an Gloss finish 3-9X x 40mm Leupold VX2 scope on the pile, that I put on this rifle to match the period (when the only finish you could bet was a Gloss Finish!!)....And finally the Savage Model 10 in 260 Rem with a Vortex Viper scope on it...

Now for the range results...First one up was the Remington Varmint (with a 3-9X x 40mm Zeiss Conquest, set on 7X power) that I bought way back in 83.....it shot best of the day, yes that is 3 holes in the target.....from a clean barrel and shot two fouling shots into the berm bank, before grouping and to my surprise this rifle shot best of the day...so it is ready to go to the woods with me....

Second and Third targets were from the Steyr M96 ProHunter (with a 3.5-10X Zeiss Conquest, set on 8X) ....this rifle has always like and on 4 occasions put three shot through the same hole!! and many of cloverleaf 3 shot groups as well..... so today was no different than the pas targets - Wrong!! had run out of powder H4895 and so I used IMR-4895, wrong powder for this rifle and combo load.....so after the first targets I had the time since I was the only one there that I would shot another 3 shot group...same results as the first three shot group and this was after 3 shot into the bank!! talk about surprised, was I ever!!

The Forth and final target was the 7mm-08 Remington ADL with the fiberglass scope and the old Gloss Leupold that I have mounted it on this old rifle...it did not turn out well at all.

On the next post will be the 260 Rem in the Savage Model 10 with it Vortex Viper scope on it......and the wild life picture....

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:06:12 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results for 9-19
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 01:13:57 AM »
The final rifle I shot was the Savage Model 10 in 260 Remington with the Vortex Viper HST (2.5-10X x 44mm, set at 7X) on top of it....I have always love the way Savage camo's its stocks...have a 308 Win that looks just like it, different scope on it....but it has always shot good groups.....had loaded up about 18 more rounds early in the morning before the A/C comes on (the air blowing on the scales tend to mess them up a tad), so I have to reload in the mornings....and shot the first two shots almost through the same hold with the third shot of the group was a bit off to the right....but have like the H4831SC powder so far for this load combo......

Next pictures are miscellaneous range pictures
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:18:23 AM »
This will be the final post for Range Results for 9-19-2018....with the wildlife taking center stage in these pictures...actually had to stop shooting down range for about 30 minutes because the turkeys were down into the range area....and about quarter till 6 PM we saw and nice young 4 point buck...so enjoy....oh yea there is one photo where the turkey is on the target board!!! LOL....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:50:57 AM »
i do like the look of the camo stock. that is sharp

as for the critters, it always amazes me how they adapt to noises. at my cabin, it's very quite and any car noise puts them on full alert. here around home, they don't even acknowledge a car. 'conditioned' is a good word

i would take the first and last rifles to battle. they were the shooters
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
Great report Bo I like that Remington for sure the rest ain't bad either. Looks like you had some good company while you were there.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »
Guys - Like I said, was totally surprised that the old Remington Varmint (1983) shot as well as it did....I bought this rifle a couple of years after I bought my first Remington Varmint in 308 Win (this was my first 308)....the last rifle I shot in the day was the 260 Remington and was using a 140 gn Nosler BT...it also has shot this load very good...just had to tweak the load of powder.....

The down size was the Steyr, several times in the past it has shot through the same hole....I did it, my wife did it and my shooting buddy has done it too....looking back early this morning (and I mean early, say around 2 AM) on the targets and should have been using H4895 instead of IMR4895....and the load was 44.02 grains of powder instead of the 44.2 that I actually loaded 17 more rounds and that makes a big difference.....I ran out of H4895 powder and used the IMR4895 instead..should have known better than to trust my instincts, should have referred to the reloading manual....

The old Remington 7mm-08 700 ADL that belonged to the decease guy (WM) has not shot well, broke it down today and did some sanding on the stock. Spent about two hours sanding it down and reassemble it a couple of times, will take it to the range after the season starts and do some checking to see if that is/was the problem....not sure when Wayne (WM) put the fiberglass stock on the rifles but it was the $80 stock. Will leave it on the rifle but will do a bunch of work on it....

The wildlife is adaptable and Yari - You are so right, the deer down in the GA woods go on high alert when they hear door slams and ATV's riding up and down the roads...but the deer and turkey don't even flinch at the range. Heck, I was sitting at the rest when the turkeys walked around me just to make on big loop around me...I was 10 ft from them and they acted like it I wasn't even there......but everyone there really enjoy seeing them...It is noting to have to stop shooting until the deer clear before we resume our shooting....LOL....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »
Yeah Bo, that Remington Varmint is on the money - whatever you've done to it and the load, don't change!   Loved that picture of the turkey on the target board, that's a classic for sure.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 06:14:49 AM »
"Alex I'll take the top target for $100" nice shooting Bo...lock that Remington load down!!!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 06:17:20 PM »
You guys know all my rifles are supposedly sighted in high 1 inch at 100 yard....next week will take 2 long range and 2 short range rifles....think one of the reason why I was so erratic is that a couple of days before (Monday) had the start of the Root Canal/Crown on the same side as I shoot, the right side!! Man it was tinder and ever time I pulled the trigger, it let me know that a Dentist was drilling and giving me shots on that side...by the way it is still tinder a bit....ouch!!

All the rounds fired at the targets would have been lethal on a deer/critters at 100 yards....so I should be happy...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad