New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 9-12-2018  (Read 142 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 9-12-2018
« on: September 12, 2018, 09:14:38 PM »
Went to the range today instead of waiting closer to the weekend because the hurricane is getting closer and closer...will be dealing with other problems this weekend and early next week, so hear goes.....

The basics - Temp was 83 at the beginning and had climb to 88 F, getting hotter, 73% Humidity to start with and 65% when the shooting ceased, Wind was around 5 to 10 mph and got close to the tree berm to help the bullets to fly straighter....BP pressure was 30.07 and had dropped a bit to 30.05....the mirage picked up and there was little mirage during the shoot at 100 yards, at 200 yards it would have been a different story, lot of mirage at 200 yards. But it was drifting from right to left, could have affected the bullets, not sure...the wind was going right to left and had gotten closer to the berm to get me out of the wind....Cloudy at first then it cleared up and got hot and humid....

All targets were set at 100 yards..... 

First one I shot the CZ455 with the Tract Optic 22Fire scope mounted....1st time shot this rifle with this scope at 100 yards....use the first hash mark on the BDC reticule on the 22Fire...worked out very good, sort of surprised me....thought it would have been a much bigger group...was shooting good Lapua Midas 40 gn 22 LR ammo in it....

Second one up was the 338 Federals, the Sako Grey Wolf with the Zeiss Conquest 1.8 to 5.5X x 38mm, Sako mounts and rings....shots at the target were 3 rounds, made adjustments after I got home today....using 215 gn Nosler Ballstic tip?? Twist in the Barrel is 10.....

Third Target was another 338 Federal this time I took an old Varmint 700 in 308 and put a Kreiger Barrel on it and it still shoot terrible....it has been 8 years since I shot this rifle...Wow, still shoot terrible.....but both 338 Federals would have nailed that big deer we have running around down there.....Twist in the barrel is 10.....will keep trying and trying and trying.....right now both 338 Federals will be range rifles and will not take them to the woods with me, want too but they don't shoot go enough as far as my standards go....

The last target on this post is a Cooper Model 54 Custom 308......shoots great using the 155 Gn Berger's VLD and Viht 140 powder, almost quit after the first shot which was dead bullseye!!! second and third shots were slightly lower, but this rifle is ready to hunt with this year...

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Range Results 9-12-2018
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:25:38 PM »
Good shooting Bo .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 09:39:22 PM »
The last rifle shot today was the Shilen DGA #2039 in 308. Has a Leupold LPS 2.5-10X x 45MM with 30mm tube....see photos....this rifle shoots the 168 gn Nosler BT very good using AA2015 powder...Best target of the day....

Other photos are from rifles that I shot during the day.....enjoy....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 04:47:58 AM »
Nice shooting...looks like you got both the 308's dialed in.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
second and third need some work, but the others did great, nice shooting
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 11:16:14 AM »
Split Toe-Yari - Yea, most, well all of my 308's are ready for the woods....LOL...Daaa....but I sure would like to take the 338 Federals to the woods with me...sure would be nice to see what a 215 or a 225 gn, 338 bullet traveling pretty slow would do to a big old buck, but cannot afford to do so....it's funny, the neck-down 308's, like the 260's, 7mm-08 and 243's will all shot dime groups at 100 yards but once you size up pass the 338 size bullets, you seem to loose something in accuracy? I was thinking that maybe I got a bad custom barrel when I converted the 308 Varmint into the 338 Federal but with two of them shooting this way, don't know what the matter is....both rifles have been to the range for over 25 times with different loads and have both been shot over 100 times each and still cannot figure out the load, have consulted many different manuals and the web and other forums to try and find the right or close to the right loads for these rifles.....

Maybe I will take my Cooper M52 in 338-06 to the woods with me instead?? It shoots a lot better than the 338 Federals do, why??

Love the Sako and the Gray Wolf (Model 85) is a very nice quality well built rifle. The other 2 Sako's I have will shoot very good groups....Am thinking about re-barreling the 338 Federal and putting a 260 Rem barrel on it after deer season...if the 338 Federals would shoot consistently at least a 1 inch group then I would take them to the woods with me but for now, they will stay on the side lines.....

Next week plan on taking the three 7mm-08 that I have and maybe the one and only Savage 260 Rem...hopefully it won't rain on my parade....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:51:46 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »
an old friend use to shoot a browning 338 and shoot great groups w/ factory loads I believe. he's in ID now and haven't talked for years. I wish I know what he was shooting. sorry I can't help

could the scope be loose? 338 has a big boom
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »
Yari - thanks for comments...If it was just one, that is what I would have figured too, but the way both rifles are shooting, I check both of them when I got home yesterday just like I check all of the rifles, except for the CZ455 in 22 LR......but if it were only one of the rifles, would have tore it down in a minute and took my usual 3 days to mount another scope on it....but it Remington Varmint configurations has a Leupold VX2 4-12X with fine duplex and the Sako has a Zeiss on it....as I made adjustments on the Remington, I made sure that the scope rings were tight and the scope was secure...

If anything, thinking maybe possible, got a bad barrel on the Remington Varmint Custom....will keep trying different loads and see what happens at the range.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:37:29 PM »
understood. just spit firing. something just seems like it should work. easy for me to say @--0--0105
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
Well I will not need a reminder to not be in your line of sight there Bo-- Nice shooting!! The .338's  @--0--0117 I don't know why they wouldn't shoot as well as their necked down brothers. I am sure the 7mm-08 will make you feel better they should shoot well. I have 2 friends with Sako 7mm-08's that shoot 4 different 140 gr factory loads very well.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 12:28:26 PM »
Brother Bo, It looks like the Sako isn't grouping to badly perhaps just a little load tweaking and you should get it. The Remington even after a rebarrel is puzzling. You said it cleans up really fast so I would assume the bore is in good shape. I don't recall if you said you checked the actual twist rate. Maybe different pill weight would help. I also assume you were using the "Bo-sled". One last thought, is it bedded and have you checked the floating of the barrel?
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »
Bo
We were just talking about that Shilen DGA.  There's the proof that its a shooter.  That sure groups well.  He knew how to build a very good rifle. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

New Page 3

Google Ad