New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Cleaning out the freezer - never know what you may find  (Read 83 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Cleaning out the freezer - never know what you may find
« on: September 11, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »
This time of year we always need to empty out the deep freeze, defrost it, and go through what we have before putting most of it back in.  Need to make room for the garden produce and the potential deer or two.  Wifey & I took that task on last Friday, it was overflowing and we have a ton of tomatoes & raspberries to get in there yet.  Were able to purge quite a bit of stuff and make more room, but really got a bonus when I found a whole backstrap and a tenderloin in there from last year (how on earth did I lose those?).  Cooked up the tenderloin for dinner the next night and turned the backstrap into jerky - yum.  Also found 5 sticks of sausage, didn't realize I had all of that yet.  The family & guys at work will help make sure that disappears before the season gets rolling.  Also have some wild turkey and fish from last year - dang.

Wife pulled out all of last year's tomatoes that were left & turned them into spaghetti sauce, and all the apples went into applesauce - I'll be eating well for a while here.  Stop on by if you're hungry!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
Re: Cleaning out the freezer - never know what you may find
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 07:44:31 PM »
Wow, that's like putting on a coat and finding a $20 in the pocket from the previous winter!  Congrats on your new found bounty.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:07:25 PM »
That happens around here all the time, got to love that backstrap jerky, best there is.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 08:29:31 PM »
I do that a lot. there are always treasures somewhere. good for you

you could be like my folks and just keep adding more freezers. they have 4 full freezers for the 2 of them. at last cleaning, they had veggies over 10 years old! for that reason, I don't ever want more than one. that's plenty for 3 of us
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »
Ha, I wait until the weather gets really cold to thaw our freezer.  Just load up some laundry baskets with the frozen stuff and park them in the breezeway.  Then, you can go tp work on the freezer without having to worry about your stuff thawing out.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:35:55 PM »
I do that a lot. there are always treasures somewhere. good for you

you could be like my folks and just keep adding more freezers. they have 4 full freezers for the 2 of them. at last cleaning, they had veggies over 10 years old! for that reason, I don't ever want more than one. that's plenty for 3 of us
Yeah Yari, my better half & I had that very conversation Friday.  We bought this one used about when we got married, and that was 30 years ago.  We just hit the empty nest mode, so really no point in getting a bigger one - even this one ends up with stuff that's over a couple of years old in it and it's less than 15 cu ft if I remember correctly.  Have a fridge next to it in the garage with a small freezer, then the fridge/freezer combo in the kitchen of course - we could probably survive for a long while on all that food if we can keep the power on and compressors running.
and enjoy it!

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 08:38:28 PM »
Ha, I wait until the weather gets really cold to thaw our freezer.  Just load up some laundry baskets with the frozen stuff and park them in the breezeway.  Then, you can go tp work on the freezer without having to worry about your stuff thawing out.
That's what we used to do when I was a kid.  This one works pretty slick though - there's a little knob you pull out that puts it in defrost mode - we do that as soon as we open the lid and by the time we have the food out & sorted the frost pretty much just wipes off.  Our seals must be pretty good yet too (original) as we really don't get a lot of frost buildup in it. 
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 05:04:21 AM »
Nice find it happens around here too...always interesting what one finds when cleaning out the freezer. I found some quail last year I somehow missed...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 07:08:33 AM »
my dad told me this story that when his grandma died she had a big chest freezer that sat in the back porch of her house, he and my grandpa had the task of cleaning it out and this was in the 90's. they found at the bottom in a tupperware broccoli from 1934! she apparently never cleaned that one out. Also, they don't make stuff like they used to either.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 08:18:56 AM »
Nice find it happens around here too...always interesting what one finds when cleaning out the freezer. I found some quail last year I somehow missed...
I didn't know quail was sold in the stores down there  --099-780 or did Jap shoot some for you  ##$%#114
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 03:04:45 PM »
mad- keep that freezer as long as it runs. the new stuff is all throw away and only lasts 7-10 years. mine is 22 year old and still goes fine
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad