New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: plots are a bust  (Read 138 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
plots are a bust
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
I got 9" of rain the last 2 weeks. my plots haven't grown and might have gone backwards. that's after 300# of 46-0-0. I think it washed away. it's supposed to dry out this week, but it's getting very late. a lot of the plots are yellow and under water. @--0--0100

on the plus side I have a lot of deer. the biggest is a 3 year old 125" 8 pt. hopefully the big boys come out during the rut

I was also lucky on the way up. I had a Harley rider cut right into my lane on a round about. even w/ anti lock brakes I left rubber. he was so close all I could see was the top of his helmet in front of my hood. I have no idea how I didn't hit him. I don't think my heart got back to normal the rest of the way up. that was one lucky dude. I hit the horn and all he did was wave @--0--0117

opener is next weekend. I could have shot the 2 biggest bucks from my deck at 15 yards this weekend. they get a pass. still hoping a big dude shows up. I will look for acorns next weekend. I don't get much of a crop up there w/ the low pH, but on occasion I can find a good tree. good luck to all
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: plots are a bust
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »
Sorry to hear your plots aren't thriving.  I put in some Powerplant behind the house in July, it got off to a slow start and the native weeds started getting pretty bad but then it started taking off a few weeks ago after we finally got some moisture.  We just got 4.5" Wednesday night thru Saturday morning, ground sucked it all up quite readily and zero runoff in the pond but the Powerplant seems to be thriving now.  It's over three feet tall.  Have another patch which was brassicas and buckwheat last year, mowed it down (mostly weeds) and disked it up about a month ago with the intention of sowing winter wheat once the heat broke and we got some rain, but the buckwheat and brassicas are both making a good comeback so now I don't know what to do with that.  Had a major gearbox issue on the mower today so if I can't get it running again soon I'll just let the volunteer plot do its thing.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 09:03:19 PM »
mad- how is that possible? I thought they are both annuals. I know my brassicas are one and done
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about your plots but having deer around is good news.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »
mad- how is that possible? I thought they are both annuals. I know my brassicas are one and done
Don't know Yari - I'm pretty surprised too, but must have been enough seed produced by both that just laid dormant waiting to be tilled in & rained on??
and enjoy it!

Offline treefarmer

• 6 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 05:15:44 PM »
We too are dealing with wet ground.  It's too wet to mow clover without putting ruts in the patch, the weeds and grasses need to be mowed.  The plot that I intend to plant later this month or 1st of October is so wet you would plant the tractor.  If we plant any of the cereal grains we have to wait for the extreme heat to subside.  Same with clovers, too hot and it will kill the tiny seedlings. 
To respond to yari's question about reseeding, most of the brassicas will make seed if left alone, (not over grazed or mowed), and thus will reseed themselves. 
Treefarmer 

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
tree- I was thinking the same thing. at my place, they clean me out. I don't have anything left to leave seed. mad must have had some leftovers is all I can think of
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »
For sure Yari, I was pretty disappointed in the amount of use that plot got last year.  Second time I've tried that mix - it has grown well but I just don't see the deer hitting it that hard before or after the freeze.  I pretty much left the plot alone this spring until I mowed & disced it up last month.  The deer do seem to go after the buckwheat but don't mess much with the turnips & radishes.  Depending on the season I have a lot better luck with Powerplant, chicory, clover, forage oats, and some grass/alfalfa mix (ordinary horse pasture mix) that I've had for years now.  I think I'm done messing with the radishes & turnips.  Bear in mind we're in the middle of heavy corn & soybean territory & also have a lot of oaks - it may simply be that they're not hungry enough to switch to that menu item.  I probably need to get another bag of Snortwheeze's mix if he's still selling it.  If I remember right it had some turnips too which the deer mostly ignored but they did hit the rest of it pretty hard.  Took a huge doe off that plot a few seasons ago during the muzzleloader season (December for us).
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
you have 'food wealthy deer' by you. i have 'welfare deer'. i could put out just about anything but a rock and they will pound it @--0--0105 i've had people tell me they need to pull some raddishes  or turnips so the deer "get use to eating them". that has never been my problem. they pound then as soon as they come out   
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 06:10:36 PM »
Definitely don't see many hungry looking deer around here unless it's been an unusually brutal winter.  We'll have yearlings dressing out over 90 pounds during their first winter (6-7 months old), with so much fat under their hide you'd swear you were skinning a steer at times.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad