New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Cover Scent  (Read 116 times)

Offline hoytman62

• Spike
Cover Scent
« on: September 06, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
I know you canít be 100% scent free, but I was wondering if studies have been made on what is the best cover scent available?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Cover Scent
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »
I use pine or cedar. they are both common where I hunt. the deer don't smell me over the cover scent enough to be scared

earth also works early in the season until it snows/freezes
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »
Hoytman, I'm with Yari with respect to using something that's common to your area.  Earth scent seems reasonably universal, I'll sometimes grab a handful of damp leaves/dirt from the ground and rub it on my pants/jacket/hat, will do it also with walnut hulls or cedar as well. Usually just go with scent elimination spray alone.  Friend at home used some bottled stuff that smelled like vanilla with great success, but I never felt comfortable with it simply because it wasn't a natural smell in the woods.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:50:14 AM »
I always used a scent eliminator like scent killer, had good luck with that. one other thing we always did was while walking to the stand since we hunted in a cow pasture was step in some cow poop a couple different times while on the walk in, that way our feet which were on the ground smelled like something in the environment.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 04:51:57 AM »
I agree with all of the above for scent cover.  I've heard of using vanilla as an attractant.

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 09:17:53 AM »
I use a meticulous scent elimination process at home prior to going in the field. I stick some earth scent wafers in the bag I store all my clothes and gear in. Spray with scent elimination spray prior to the walk in and again when I get to the stand, depending if I sweat walking in. As far as studies, don't know of any except what the manufacturers state in their ads but they might be slightly biased or in most cases, probably true because I use Hunters Specialties products and they work great for me. Other products seem to work just as well. You have to be confident and comfortable that what you use is going to work!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Online Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 04:25:58 PM »
I use any brand out there for clothing and washing. I did pick up a very small bottle of a fall blend cover spray I will keep in my back pack and use as the situtation needs.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 02:06:43 PM »
DEAD DOWN WIND HAS WORKED IN GA FOR US.
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 08:58:43 AM »
I put cedar and pine cones in with my clothes sometimes. I use the burning leaf deal when the wood stoves start burning. I just light some leaves in the yard and stand over them for a few minutes and then I hunt the wind as best as I can. I don't stress too much because deer I hunt are a little more use to humans being around because the land is farm land but I still try not to give them anymore signals that I am around.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »
Over my fifty plus years of hunting I have used the analogy of the Wensel brothers in their classic book, "Hunting Rutting Whitetails." Gene Wensel uses the analogy of a dog taking a dump in your living room and you trying to mask the scent by spraying many different cover scents to make it better. He says, when it is all said and done, it may smell a bit better but it still isn't good. My cover scent will always be wind direction as the marketing for cover scents, and scent free clothing has gone off the wall. Whitetails can smell you a half mile away and I am not sure you can stop that completely. Yes, using scents that are common to your hunting area is a great idea, but nothing is perfect except wind direction.
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 08:44:34 AM »
Hunting the wind in the hills and hollers of Kentucky is almost impossible because of the way the wind swirls here. While I dont go nuts trying to eliminate scent, i try not to add to it. My sent is going to get blown around but the less there is, the sooner it dissipates. I keep my clothes in sealed tubs, wash then in a scent free detergent, take a shower before I hunt. Thats about it...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 06:48:45 PM »
My local bowhunting spot is like that too HM.  Here in the middle of Central IL farm country if there's any wooded property to hunt it tends to be in a ravine or creekbed.  My two favorite stands are both in "bowls" where you never can count on the wind moving steadily in a given direction.  One's up on the edge, so in a heavy breeze you have a little bit of a fighting chance while the other is down in the bowl and it's all over the place.  I use milkweed and cottonwood "fluff" as my windicators most of the time, and down in that bowl I can set one loose & just sit back & watch it float around randomly for a long time before it finally makes it to the ground or gets hung up.  Fortunately this is also in a relatively populated area and for the most part the deer don't get spooked very easily at the scents - you can tell when they pick it up, but after looking around & studying their surroundings they typically don't bolt.  Once they spot you in their living room though, game over.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad