New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Got to Give Weatherby another look!  (Read 152 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Got to Give Weatherby another look!
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
My current Weatherby inventory consist of 2 - 300 Wea Mag (Both are Mark V), 2 - 7mm Wea Mag (1 is a Mark V and the other one is a Fibermark. The very first Fibermark made...how I ended up with it, that in it self is another story entirely) and a original Weatherby Vanguard, the old Howa 1500 before we know it as Howa. Roy Weatherby wanted a rifle that was under $500 for the average hunter, so he contracted Howa to build the original Vanguard, not the VGL, or any other variation of the Vanguard, cause when I bought it there was only one Vanguard...got it in 30-06. Had a old Fiberguard, with a Zeiss Scope in 308, it was a dream of a rifle, light 20" contour #1 fiberglass stock with my first Zeiss Scope on it a 4X but I let a guy borrow it and it would not give it back. He like it more than I did, he did give me $750 for it and I though it was a good deal....Forgot to mention that I own a Ruger #1B in a 270 Wea Mag...it took me two years to get it because of limited production, that was the line I was told....

I must admit that I have not looked at Weatherby in years because I called them at South Gate may years ago asking the gunsmith on duty at the time values for torquing the stock to the receiver, scope rings to the base and the base to the receiver and the conversation was going along fine until we talked about free-bore. He told me that they have about .25 of free-bore and I told him that I could not seat the bullet out that far to get about my standard seating which is .020" off the lans....he told me that they guarantee their rifles will shoot at that time 1.5" groups at 100 yards....I promptly told him that that was not good enough today (back in the late 70's). Well the conversation quickly turned hostile and I finally hung up on him...sure all my rifle shoot that well and most better than that....but every since our conversation, have been turned off by Weatherby.....

But since Roy's passing and Ed took over the company and we all know he is moving the company out of California (its is about time) to Sheridan, Wyoming. Think he bought back the production back to the states (think in Minnesota) - Yippie....he (Ed) has put his mark (excuse the pun) own the company buy producing a very good and decent rifle, the sub-moa model is nothing to sneeze at.....you can get it in any variation you want to and now introduction the carbon-fiber barrels into the production line...

Split Toe is an impressive marksman, he told me that he shot a 10" metal target free hand at almost 200 yards down at the club!! Last year he hit that steel plate at 100 yards two times in a row - standing freehand!! He has told me that his 257 Weatherby shoots real good groups and he uses this rifle all the time now...because it is so accurate...it is impressive....

In looking for more and more rifles, I must considered Weatherby now as a viable rifle!!       
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Got to Give Weatherby another look!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »
my dad has a .300 /w beautiful wood from 40-50 years ago. it was a shame how he treated that gun on his elk hunts. it was too pretty. I guess that's why I like fiber stocks. it's a shame to destroy the wood on the 'fancy' guns.

i'm sure you agree, the .300 kicks like a mule

I didn't know production was in MN?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 11:49:19 AM »
BO - I just put the new Weatherby Vanguard in a Weatherby .257 Mag into my inventory and still waiting to put the optics on it. (still deciding on optics) I have a couple boxes or ammo to get started with. Hopefully I will have it set up and ready to go by Nov.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »
The Weatherbys I own were all made in Japan and Yari's old Weatherby was made by Sauer....that is another story within itself how Sauer built Weatherby for the longest time then Sauer connected with Colt to make it a Colt-Sauer, then Sauer came out with it own Model 200 back in the early 80....that is the one I have. It is a switch barrel type rifle and have it in the 30-06 and the 25-06 Calibers...very accurate rifle, amazing accurate, but the value keeps going up and up on it....

Just recently Colt teamed up with Cooper to make the Colt Cooper Bolt Action Rifle...got one of those in 308...shoots amazing well.....

If we only knew what was coming next....LOL....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
Interesting history Bo, and I didn't realize Ruger chambered the #1 for any of the Weatherby cartridges. 

That .25 of freebore definitely sounds excessive - wonder what drove them to do that in the first place? 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 05:04:07 AM »
Mad - Yes, the year was 1991 and I had it on order since 1989.....they made these rifles in this caliber for only a few years...this was back when Ruger wasn't making accurate rifles as they are today, but the 270 Wea Mag was on order for almost two years and when they called me to tell me that it was in, I asked them "what was in"....LOL...they reminded me that I had order a Ruger #1B in 270 Wea Mag back in late 80's and was my 5th Ruger #1 (4 of them are the Ruger #1B and have 1 Ruger #1A (the short rifle in 7x57)....I wanted for years and years for a Ruger #1V in the 280 Rem, I guess I waited to late to order it...shucks, darn....I have seen a few of them (#1V )in 280 over the years but always to late and they were gone!!

Also had to send all my Ruger #1 to E Author Brown in Minnesota for them to be Accuratized them. This is where they put in a light and different trigger, put in a tiny stabilizer bar right behind the forearm screw, this dampens out the vibration in the barrel and put in a another super hard firing pin, all for $310 plus shipping back then. My first Ruger #1A was sent up there to them because I tried for years and years to get it consistent groups. Some days it would shoot 2 to 3 inch groups and other days it would shoot under 1 inch groups...thought it was me, tried different loads, and bullets in the 7x57 but to no good...still would shoot crazy groups......After getting it back and working with it about a dozen times at the range, finally got the vibrations dampening screw set just right and the groups starting to a normal 1 inch and under groups with this beauty....so a year later, had the remaining 4 set up to Minnesota.....and the 270 Wea Mag was the last one to go....it shoots good groups now, 1 MOA at all distances and only shot it out to 300 yards with the groups being 2.5 to 2.75 inches for 5 shots....

Like today, the 257 Wea Mag is a very popular round and many manufacturers are putting them into their standard production....so the 270 Wea Mag was very popular back in the late 80's and early 90's......

I should mention that I am looking at Ruger again as well.....

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:22:54 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad