New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: At it again - Cheap Binoculars  (Read 95 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
At it again - Cheap Binoculars
« on: September 02, 2018, 07:29:45 AM »
What drives me?? - I must be crazy...it must be due to lack of sleep, but early this morning say around 2 AM, order another pair of under $200 binoculars from MidwayUSA....they are the Nikon's Prostaff 3 in 8x42mm....under 20 ounces in weight total.....so will be taking them down with me along with some other pairs of binoculars during October Archery/Muzzle Loader hunt and do some checking out.....

Before heading to the woods, will check them out in the back yard to see images up to 500 yards away and then up close 20 ft away...will check them out in low light as well as bright light and check out the color contrast with these cheap binoculars only $120 along with free shipping and at 2 AM in the morning it was hard to turn down....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: At it again - Cheap Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 07:34:26 AM »
Sounds like a good buy Bo, but you gotta get more sleep chief!
 ##$%#114
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 08:58:06 AM »
2 AM????????? i will share 2 stories.

i have a buddy w/ a garage full of junk he buys in the middle of the night while watching infomercials

I also have a client that emails me at 2. 3 , 4AM

don't become those guys

nice purchase
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »
Got the Nikons Prostaff 3S Binos yesterday afternoon.....first impression that they are a good but not great 8x42mm binoculars for $120 to my door...made in China as printed on the box. Used them last night at dusk and this morning, high noon and just got through using them to try and locate a red tail hawk that has moved into our area....a few weeks ago, we notice that there were no birds, rabbits or squirrels around anymore!! And yesterday I was loading up the truck to head to the range when I heard a loud bang on out sliding glass door...it was the Hawk that had flew into the sliding glass door with a chipmunk in one of his talons!!! Holy Cow...

This morning the binoculars handled the foggy conditions OK, and gather light OK and the fast center focus ring worked well...tried to see if I can change focuses on a bunch of objects that were at different distances. If you wear glasses, they have the eye cups that twist out or in just depends on your preference....I wear my glasses to do close up work but don't use them for greater distances (maybe I need too!) I find with the eye cups twisted in, which are for glass wearers, that it works better for me with the cups twisted in and not wearing glasses....it increases my field of view than with the eye cups twisted out....

They weight under my desire 20 ounces. it sure seems like the smaller binos will be under the 20 oz, but larger one are my heavier than that, so it surprised me that these that are your standard size binos weight much more than 20 oz...also they claimed to be waterproof, I am not going to test this feature, will let mother nature decide on that issue. I plan on taking them down with me on the archery/muzzle loader hunts and will use them in either my ladder or ground blind. Don't think they can be wore, not due the weight but due to the size...they are a medium to large binos 6 inches long and I would say about 4 inches wide....they are also roof prism type binos, they come with cheap lense covers, I just through them away. It seems like in this class of binocular, it would be best if you picked up some good covers if you want them...I did not want them....and it comes with a lifetime no fault guarantee

All in all, you will get what you pay for....these are good binoculars for $120 + free shipping.....will do a follow up report after getting back from my 8 day archery/muzzle loader hunting trip in GA in early October....Will also take down some Athlon Binoculars......

Also the glass are fully multi-coated lenses....and are suppose to be fog proof, waterproof
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:51:42 PM »
Nikon does make clear optics. good info. thx
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »
Have used these binoculars on and off through out the week, glaceing at various things including a Red Tail Hawk that has taken up residency in the neighborhood....these binoculars were easy to pick up objects, being light and they are easy almost to easy to focus. The focus ring is easily knock off just by touching it and it takes a second to re-focus your subject to the sharpness.....the eye cups adjustments are interesting too, it sure seems like, that my eyes prefer the eye cups adjusted all the way in....like I am wearing glasses, but I am not, and with the eye cups in the twisted out position it seems to cut down on the area a bit, this just maybe me and my old eyes but I have use these binoculars both with the eye cups in and out and prefer the eye cups in on closer objects like in the deer woods but the eye cups would be better if you were using these binoculars for longer range glassing.....

When I head down will take three pairs of "cheap" binoculars down with me and will use each pair for 2 days each and this hunt will last 6 days....the next hunt will be for two weeks and will take down several other different pairs down with me ranging from $200 all the way up to $2000 and will let you guys know which ones I will take down on which hunt......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:28:50 PM »
Have narrowed down the 4 (not three) pairs of binoculars that I am going to take down with me...They are the Athlon Argos 8x42, Vortex Diamondback 10x32,Bushnell Bone Collector 10x42, Nikon Prostaff 3s 8x42.....last night decided to take the Vortex Diamondback and had all four pairs out on the deck looking out to 500 yards and dusk appoaching....wow, these bino even the cheap ones are very good in low light and for the money.....none of them will break the bank....

Also have some very good binoculars, expensive - Swarovski's EL, Steiner Peregrine HD, Leupold Gold Ring, Tract Toric HD, and the Vortex Viper HD are my top binoculars and then have about 4 or 5 pairs of mid price pairs.....some of them I even caught on sale!!! a couple of $400 pairs for right around $200 bucks....

The more expensive one comes with some advantages and disadvantages...first the advantages - the more expensive one are more solid, the quality of the glass is superior to the cheaper pair, they are not as rugged either...they have a edge to edge advantage, the color is more correct and balanced...often they use Schott Glass in the fabrication of the more expensive one....just better built......the disadvantages, are that they are bigger in handling, translating them into a much heavier binoculars....it takes (me anyway) two hands to steady them on a object....

But last year when I was in a buying frenzy, I stumbled onto two pairs of binoculars that were outstanding, they fit into each category.....the first pair were the Zeiss Terra HD for a MSRP for $400 and I got them delivered to my door for $172....and the other was a Leupold Mojave BX-3 which also retails for $400 and I got them delivered to my door for around $211...$199 for the binos and 12 shipping....these two are outstanding and they are head and shoulders above the other $200 binoculars and they are close to the more expensive big boys.....

The keep is to keep looking for these bargains....hunt every evening after you get home from work or during your lunch hour....also you will find them during the month of Jan or Feb, most manufacturers are reducing the prices after hunting season rush is over and they are trying to reduce their inventory.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
I went to order a pair of Nikon Prostaff Bino's but they were out of stock.  The customer service rep said this guy keeps buying all the bino's   --099-780
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »
Nice buy Bo.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 10:11:52 AM »
do you have an enclosed trailer for all your guns and binos you will be taking to camp? @--0--0105

good info. thx
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 11:00:37 AM »
Deerhead - LOL....that is so funny....was looking at the Vortex (along with the 3 other pairs I am bringing down with me on the 9th....they are all the criteria that one might be looking for when buying some binos....Split Toe bought some after looking through them during Summerfest a few years ago when I donated a pair of Diamondback binos and a Vortex Crossfire Scope and one Nikon Monarch Scope 3.3-10X.....But order another pair of Diamondbacks this past year to replace the ones donated...will not do that again, they are a good value for the money....Most of my "cheap" binoculars are made in China so they all about the same quality...the ones made in Japan are much better glass....

Yari - No, but have thought about an enclosed trailer for my ATV and my "stuff" but I keep the rifles and other firearms inside the truck, my truck is a rare long bed Tundra with a double cab...the one bad thing is that it only get about 20 mpg....21 headed south and 19 headed north other than the gas mileage, it has been a great truck!!

Many years ago I was a member of an obscure range (along with the one I am a current member of), located in the middle of the woods and had a 250 Max Range. it was your basic opened field....anyway, one day a truck drove up with a triangle shaped trailer it pulled behind his truck....and when the guy stopped and rolled up the sides on it, it was a collection of his rifles, pistols and shotguns on the board, image today if a office would stop him, they would accuse him of being some kind of terrorist..LOL.. ...the center area of the triangle was for his ammo and other stuff...I would say the trailer was 10 ft long and the triangle was 8 ft x 8 ft sides x 6 ft for the bottom.....I was astounded and just stared at the design, thinking that could be me someday....LOL....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »
bo- you need a trailer like that except yours would need to be 40' long
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 06:24:36 AM »
Am beginning to notice sales of all sort of optics. Got a flyer form Bass Pro and they had the Nikon Prostaff 7S for $160 bucks. They are their 8x42....I should have waited for them for only $20 more I could have gotten a better pair of binoculars.....

Leupold, Burris has some of theirs on sale also as well........just keep looking....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »
Am beginning to notice sales of all sort of optics. Got a flyer form Bass Pro and they had the Nikon Prostaff 7S for $160 bucks. They are their 8x42....I should have waited for them for only $20 more I could have gotten a better pair of binoculars.....

Leupold, Burris has some of theirs on sale also as well........just keep looking....
Bo, put the flyers down and back away slowly, and no one will get hurt!
(at least not your wallet)
 --099-780 --099-780 --099-780 --099-780
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad