New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: At it again - Cheap Binoculars  (Read 620 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: At it again - Cheap Binoculars
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »
Yari - Yes you can, if you have as many pair of cheapie binoculars and most of the weight about the same, you can notice the extra weight, but along with them being a good $200, I agree with you about that extra weight and quality....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
Back from the 2 week of hunting and have a final report on the so-called "Cheapie" Binoculars...this is actually a term I use but not to offended anybody, I will change the name to "Price versus Value" bino's.....

Took down 9 pairs of the Value Priced Binos and well as my Swarovski EL 10x32 as a reference. I used the bino's for a day and a half each....with each morning and afternoon looking in the deep woods for deer and look for detail images. Looked through them at dawn and dusk....Hunted same area but three different stands and blinds...just rotated depending on the day and then weather conditions (wind, rain and temp)....

Come to find myself before going to the blind of ladder stand each morning, grabbing a Ziess Wipe and cleaning my glasses, my scopes and the binoculars...feel like this is the key to clarity. Did this every morning!! But it was worth it....

The bino's tested or used in this case were (no specific order, just what I can remember) the Nikon Prostaff P3, Cabela's HD's, Bushnell Bone Collector, Athlon Argo's, Vortex Diamondbacks, Leupold Arcadia BX-2, Leupold Mojave BX-3, Redfield Rebels and Ziess Terra.....The two that stood out to me in this group were the Ziess Terra and Leupld Mojave BX-3, the rest of the binoculars were very good for the money....I cannot see anybody hunting in the South or thick woods that would spend more than $200 on a pair of these binos....All 9 pair were under 25 ounces. I carried them in my fanny pack and did not wear them around my neck, not even in the ladder stands I hunted in....

If you can find a pair of $400 marked down to $200 buy them for sure...there are some minor difference between the $200 and the $400 pairs of binoculars. The glass seems to be a notch above their construction seems to be a bite heavy and can take an impact...I notice that the diopter is hard to adjust which is good. The eye cups are harder to set, which is again good, because once you get these adjusted for your eyes, it will not change not easily. Mine were very hard to adjust....but that is why you are paying the extra $200 for...just these little features make it worth it.....

Now onto the real test, most of the other price valued binoculars were pretty close to each other as far as looking at objects close up and far away.....with the winner has to go with the Vortex Diamondbacks. The glass was a notch above the rest of the $200 bino's, they were light weight and you could wear them around your neck if you wanted to. But no matter which pair you pick up either the 8X or the 10X you will be happy with them....Both Split Toe and I had the Vortex Diamondbacks. He had the 8X and mine were the 10X...at objects (like a club member we spotted in the portable climber some 500+ yards away, the power did not seem to matter, but up close, objects that were a 100 yards and in, the power did make a difference....

But to finalized, the difference between the $100 pair and $200 pair are dramatic, and the $200 to $400 are even more dramatic....so I would suggest that someone don't spend the $2K (or more) on binoculars and spend it, unless you have money to burn...The more expensive bino's (I own 5 pairs of them) are great quality and have great clarity...the color is true, most of them use Schott Glass. Most are very heavy and most are 10x 42mm built like a tank, they will take a lick-in and keep on ticking....but they are extremely clear....they are the Swarovski's EL, The Vortex Vipers, The Tract Toric, Leupold Gold Ring, The Steiner Peregrine....I do have mid price binos such as the Zeiss Diafun, the Canon IS, Canon 10x25, and my first good pair of binoculars were the Leupold Compact Pocket binoculars 9x25 (made by Leica for Leupold back in the late 70's and early 80's...they are still good ones!! But all of the mid-price pair that run from $300 to $700 way back when, the $200 dollar ones today are that good, and the optics like rifle scopes, spotting, binoculars are getting better and better and the price keeps going down...

Hope everyone has enjoyed this 2 year effort in trying to find out the best for the money binoculars as much as I did....it was a pleasure and now to do another report on spotting scopes......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 08:49:20 PM »
I believe I saw the vortex diamondback on sale for $100 off at cabelas. I think it was a black friday deal
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 06:19:58 PM »
Yari - Thanks for the heads up on the Vortex.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 06:37:04 PM »
Yari - Thanks for the heads up on the Vortex.....

da nada. I enjoy helping others spend their money @--0--0105
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 04:09:09 PM »
Early on Thanksgiving Day, got up, took a shower, ate a fine breakfast my wonderful wife made for me and then hit the road and drove down. Because it was going to be a short hunt, took down only two pairs of Value Added binoculars. The Leupold Mojave BX-3 (8x32mm)and the Ziess Terra (10x32mm), both are my top binoculars for the magic price of $200!

Found myself using the Leupold Mojave BX-3 more and more....they are very light and I sort of compare them against Metalman's Swarovski CL, While my were no match with the Swavroski's, they did finished a close 2nd....man they were close in my eyes...they seemed almost as bright as the Swarovski's and they had plenty of detail. Color match was close but the CL's beat the BX-3 and the Ziess Terra as far as color rendition and stable from edge to edge......

Came back on Sunday afterward the 2.5 day hunt, took me 5 hours to get down there and 5 hours to get back home.....

I would recommend (for $200 and under) if you can find them for the magically price of $200....but I would say to keep you eye open for such a deal. Basically it is a $400 pair for $200.....any pair would be good.....now or next few months you might be able to find a deal on these binos....I will keep an eye out for a deal and you got to be looking also.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
now is the time to pick up deals on anything hunting. I already saw one store w/ 25% off blaze orange
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad