New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: At it again - Cheap Binoculars  (Read 629 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: At it again - Cheap Binoculars
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 08:04:00 PM »
even tract has had some good sales lately. $100 off

Nikon wasn't up there? that is a surprise
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 05:28:24 AM »
I would recommend that anybody get the HD Schott Glass in any optic they can!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
For over 30 years I bought more on cost for binos. Many broke, leaked and adequate but nothing great. Finally saved $1,000 cash and bought my Swarvoski 8x30 CL at the Buckmasters convention in Montgomery, Alabama. Ir was like when we went from B&W TV to full color TV. Cash kept it off the credit card so my wife woukd not kill me. Took a time to save but I got ‘er done!

In deep woods and close in hunting, they made things stand out, like a deer twitch on its tail when the rest of the deer was blocked by a tree.

It did have a more narrow field of view, so, yep I bought a 2nd Sawrvoski  --7-8-9. The SLC 8x42. Larger, heavier than the CL but does the trick!

So, I am done with Binos.

But I keep thinking about Sawrvoski scopes that are not on any of my guns. Someday.............who knows.........
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »
And Again - This time, they will be a pair of Cabela's Intensity HD 10x42 for approx $200 (shipping and sales tax made it $223 so I use some of my Cabela's bucks to kee it right at $200....they are scheduled to be here tomorrow and will do my standard back yard test and will compare them to other in the same class....I am a sick person.....I have lost count (not really) at the Binoculars that I have purchased in the last two years....

Hopefully they are a touch better than the other binoculars that I have gotten in the last 2 years....but if you use these or any other pairs of binoculars for evaluating deer or other game and you keep it under 300 yards, most of these will work for you...and if you are familiar with using bino go with the 10X over the 8X that if you are familiar with binoculars and know how to use them.....

Will take these down with me and give you are guys a report sometimes in late November or early Dec on all the binos that I use and tested this year.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »
can you tell who is making the cabelas binos? you can normally tell by the features. Nikon is my guess
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 09:31:33 PM »
Bo - I have the same question as Mr Yari - if you stack those dozens of different pairs side by side, which one does the Cabelas unit look most like? 

Yes, you need help sir!  But hey, first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, and it sounds like you're there!   --099-780
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 09:34:31 PM »
thinking back, I think I heard it was Leo that makes them. either way, good product
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 12:23:49 AM »
Yari and Mad - I know Cabela's and Bass Pro shops puts out a specification every few years or so for their optics line dividing them into each type of optic, binoculars, rifle scopes and spotting scope and you might put the range finders in a category buy themselves....they have often changed depending on the price of each product...I know the Meopta has recently made some of their upper line of products....When there was a Gander Mtn Store here in town, use to go over there about twice a week and look over their line of optics carefully knowing that someone else made their products and just put the Gander Mtn name on them.....

I also know that Nikon and Bass Pro shop has a love affair on-going for years and years....Even though it says Bass Pro or Red Head, it is really a Nikon Product in disguise! My very first good binoculars were from Leupold way back in 1980, when I worked security for a Atlanta Buckarama Vendor and they offered me a first year Nikon Monarch Scope for my services. At first I said thank but not thanks, these folks gave me great deals of firearms, and scopes, and for a couple of years I have notice the Leupold's first pair of Binoculars...these little fold up pocket binoculars were great, used them for 20 years as my number one pair of binos and when I started to hunt out west, I needed a stronger pair with more field of view, etc...but did not find out that these binoculars were made by Lecia until '95!! Both eye has diopter and glasses adjustments, they were light weight and the optics was the best that I had seen back then...still today they are really good binoculars...

When they arrived later on today and after carefully looking them over, will give you guys my first hand observations on them....

Why did I buy them? I don't know, was not impulse, and I did not win the lotto. Now, got to find the money somehow to pay for them!!...LOL...  @--0--0117....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »
i would if my first pair on leo's was made by leica? they are probably the same model as yours. i think they are 8x30. they are nice glass. is there a date on the bino to verify the year?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 03:34:12 PM »
Yari - Mine are the 9X x 25mm and they fold up and fit in your pocket...I will dig them out and post a photo of them.....

After voting, gassing up the truck, putting in another tail light, buy the winning lotto ticket for tonight's $1B dollar pot and after going to Sam's to pick up some lighter fluid, toilet paper, paper towels for the camp for our impending two week hunt.....got home and saw the magic Cabela's Box sitting on the front porch.....

Open the box and unpacked the binoculars....first impression after using them were very good, once I got the hard to turn diopter setting for the right eye to make sure that they were in focus for the entire 500 yards, I did my normal test on....they seemed a bit heavier than the other binoculars by 4 to 5 ounces, the eye cups have two setting (which I like) half out and full out.....another pair has the same thing.....nice packing, nice case, cloth, neck strap, etc, but they were made in China of course...for $200 where else will they be made....but all in all they are a cut above the rest, just every so slightly...the draw back is their weight...once you break them in then you can get use to the weight it is not a problem, you can hold them steady....

Last week was down at camp and live through and survived Hurricane Micheal with little or no sleep, got up and went hunting on windy Wednesday morning Thursday afternoon and Saturday...got in about 6 hunts with Crossbow and Muzzle Loader.....but could see about 150 yards in and through the woods....most of the time it was 70 to 75 yards according to the rangefinder and took the Bushnell and the Nikon cheapie binoculars....

For anybody who wants a pair of binoculars any $150 to $250 binoculars will work for you....they are a part of my everyday gear I haul to the woods, They are always ready and I use them often....

Tonight when the sun is setting will take the newest Cabela's Intensity HD 10x42 binos outside and check out the twilight and early tomorrow morning and report on them....will take them to the woods with me this year....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »
your the best bo! --9-908 I just can't wrap my small brain around why a guy needs so many binos, especially when he already has premium binos. my leicas are now a permanent fixture around my neck when hunting. I don't think I could turn back --099-780

i'm sure you would say the exact same thing if you saw my fishing gear/lures.  @--0--0105 it's just funny to me to see what folks 'collect'

FYI- I ordered my browning buckmark .22 today. I couldn't believe they sold out? anyway, another toy on the way
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »
Yari - Here are two pictures of my old 1980 pair of Leupold binoculars made by Leica.....they are still good today, just got to clean them every year...LOL....I do remember dropping this out of a 27 ft high stand that we had built the previous year, think the year was 1983 or 84 and once I climb down and retrieved them, one side was flopping and the other side seemed to be OK, so when I got home I packaged them up and sent them back to Leupold and since it was my fault I would gladly pay for the repair. Within two weeks got them back and they were like new, no charge just a thank you!! Incredible service and warranty.....that is why I have 41 Leupold's scopes, binoculars, and spotting scope....and thinking about buying more....

But it was fun for me to walk down memory lane, these binos have hunted with me in Louisana, Florida, Georgia, Texas and a few other states, I will think of later.....

My Reference Binos are the Swarovski EL, Steiner Peregrine, Tract Toric, Vortex Viper, Leupold Gold Ring, Nikon Monarch, all of them are very good....the Canon IS 10x30mm are right up there also, but they are not included in my Reference Set of Binos, close but no....

These binos like all the other $200 pairs of binos have trouble in very low light and in the thick busies....when it get almost dark and it is dark here in East Tennessee now, they are good gather light when light is available, even the lowest light, but will continue this weekend to have them available and will often refer to them, will have the Nikon Prostaff 3S out as well, something to compare them to.....maybe the Argos as well...

You will love the Buckmark, just get extra magazines for it....you cannot it enough, just like my Ruger 22/45 Government, think the first day shot the sucker 200 times...they are so accurate...look for a to a product review on it!!! 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:47:28 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »
Went out this morning in the dark and pretended to be in the woods hunting...yea right, but on the back deck look at the obvious land marks....it was still dark and the binos can pick up light pretty good....as it gets lighter and lighter these cheap binoculars you can see more and more details.....look into the woods around the house here and try to pick out objects that would appear as if they were in the woods....not a bad pair.....so use your Cabela's buck and pick up a pair of these....as I said before, if you are experienced with binos and can pick up deer easily in the woods, then besides the weight of 26.5 ounces being slightly heavy...these would be a good pair to have for the woods in the car and around the home......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 12:01:43 PM »
It was 34 on the deck this morning and grabbed my jacket and the Cabela's HD binos and went out side to see if they would fog up....they did not and the binos function very good in this cool environment...not cold, but cool.....stayed there while the daylight broke and just trying to check them out....the diopter ring is hard to adjust, once you get the sucker adjust for you, then it will stay at that location....when I first got them, adjust the diopter on the right eye, thought I was going to break the binos!!! it was extremely hard to adjust and these binos have a long threaded diopter adjustment....which I like....

These binos seem to be a cut above the rest, except for the weight with is 26.1 ounces, check the box this morning....they are heavier by a couple of ounces than I thought at first....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 01:55:14 PM »
do you really notice the couple ounces? i'd take quality and extra weight  any day
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad