New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 22 Shorts  (Read 895 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
22 Shorts
« on: September 01, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
Guys - Was at our local Rural King a week ago and saw 40 boxes of Remington 22 Shorts....yes I said "Shorts".....yesterday stopped by and they still have 36 boxes, now they have 26 boxes, I bought a brick of them......

Have been digging out some of my old factory and military surplus ammo...and found some Winchester 22 Shorts from the early 70's...they have a price tag of under a dollar on them and yesterday each box ran $5.49 each for 50 rounds....

Just thought I would mention this because, it seems like if the manufacturers has enough time and resources on his hands to fabricate 22 Shorts, then ammo has got to be plentiful? What do you think??

In conjunction with the 22 Shorts, have several 22 that states on the barrel that the 22 will shoot either 22 Short, 22 Long and 22 Long Rifle....will start going to the range this week, weather permitting and do some plinking with the 22 shorts....and see what they will do? Sight them in at 25 to 30 yards

With my CZ455 with the 22 Long Rifle Barrel Installed, at 50 yards, have been running some testing between Lapua and Eley ammo. Many years ago, read an article that have about 25 to 30 different 22 ammo listed with the 50 yard, 75 yard and 100 yard shots. It always came down to either Eley ammo or Lapua....Well after 4 weeks at the range, it seems like my CZ455 like the Lapua Midas, 40 grain and it runs out at an average 1050 fps on my LabRadar Chronograph. The Eley ammo was a bit faster (avgs about 50 fps faster than the Lapua), but less accurate, maybe .67 inches for 10 shots for the Eley versus .50 inches for 10 shot for the Lapua at a 50 yard range.....you CZ455 may like just the opposite......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: 22 Shorts
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
I shoot 2 3/4" shells out of my 3 1/2" shotguns, but I would be leery to shoot a short out of a .22 long. I don't know exactly why, but I think the extra 'play' would be an issue   
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »
I need some shorts for an old gun. I will have to check this out
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:16:38 AM »
Yari - Yes found a box of the 22 longs mixed in with some 22 LR.....like you will be leary of shooting them....I have an old Springfield/Savage 187H that states on the side of the barrel will shoot any of the three...I was 12 when I got it for Christmas (Thanks Dad) one year and don't think I have every shot 22 short or 22 long in it just the 22 LR....this will be a first for me....Wow....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 07:46:37 AM »
I've shot .22 shorts out of guns that were not explicitly marked for it, I use shorts for dealing with possums that occasionally show up on our deck to eat cat food.  A short won't typically cycle a semi auto, but aside from that I expect the main issue is that you'll get some extra lead and powder fouling at in that longer .22 lr chamber.  Just give it some cleaning and carry on. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »
a lot of the new guns will not shoot shorts
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 10:16:20 AM »
I have a couple of old .22's that are marked shorts, long  and long rifle on the barrel and the shorts shoot just fine out of them. I use the hollow point shorts to shoot squirrels and varmints in the yard. I used them all the time on my trapline.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 10:46:05 AM »
Blue - My first 22 (Savage-Stevens 187H) would take the shorts, longs and long rifle ammo as well....still have that rifle today, had to make some modifications on it to keep it shooting and am planning on taking it along with a box of the shorts to the range hopefully this year but it might be next when I finally get around to it.....but I grew up shooting shorts all the time and thought why would anybody need a long rifle....I was 11 back then...what did I know.....LOL.... ##$%#117
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:49:32 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 06:24:13 AM »
Got my grandfathers old Springfield single shot 22 that's marked for shorts, long and long rifle. Nice find Bo you just don't see any shorts these days!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »
Oddly enough I'm starting to see shorts back on the shelf again recently.  A few years ago in the midst of all the ammunition insanity I needed some for possum control, had to borrow a couple dozen from the bro in law as I couldn't find them anywhere (had to result to shovels & pitchforks for a while).

Now something I'd like to play with sometime are .22 Longs - I have never seen those for sale anywhere in my life, do you guys know if anyone even makes them anymore?  I'd just like to buy a box & see how they compare to LR.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
Well Guys another brick bites the dust....Just got back from our local Rural King and bought another brick (10 boxes) of Shorts, that brings the count to 2 bricks...

Just like the time I went into Gander Mountain (remember them) and they had 48 boxes (of 20 gns in the 17 HMR) and when I walked out they had only 8 boxes left. I check with the clerk and ask him if there was a limit on the number of boxes I could buy, he said no........ --09--0

You can never get enough ammo!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
My Remington 22 bolt action will handle all three lengths of 22 rimfire.  I mostly shoot long rifle, but I have shot all three without any problems.  A long time ago, I used to buy shorts only, cuz they were cheaper and allowed me to shoot more.  I think I still have a box or two of shorts. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 03:39:19 PM »
Louie - I also have some 22 shorts....somewhere...I do have a, I mean several boxes where I keep all my old 22 ammo at...that includes some 70's - 223 ammo (52 gn) surplus ammo and some very old 7x57 with the German swastika head stamp on it....what year do you think they are from?? Wow, even older than I am...Geese.....I think I have a box of LR that has a 50 cents price tag on it or 59 cents for 50. Back then that is all you got was 50. No 100 or 250 or 550 pack box, just 50 at a time and you better bring back at least 40 critters with 50 rounds or else!!!

Over the winter time I think it is time to clean out the gun room...think I will take out all the guns from the safes and grab all the boxes of ammo and reloading components, knowing that I have at least 10K primers that I have not accounted for this year...somewhere!! Maybe I will combine my cleaning marathon with the clean up and out with my rifles.....

On a side note have shot my Compound Bow along with both Crossbows this week....I don't throw anything away, still have my Ben Pearson's very old re-curve bow along with my 6 wheel Bear White Tail Limited Compound Bow and my PSE Compound with its 4" overdraw. Had it custom made/fitted way back in the early 80's before heading out West for my first Elk Trip....Along with my bows, have their arrows, like the old wooden shafts and the fiberglass arrows that I use to shoot back in high school....the picture attached is from 1961 with me getting my Ben Pearson Re-Curve Bow and Arrows for Christmas 

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 09:57:22 PM »
I have cedar arrows I assembled when I bought my 2nd recurve bow,  a 45# Bear Grizzly, back in 1967.  Ordered 24 port orford shafts, trimmed them, cut tapers for the nocks, and broadheads, and fletched them.  I had quite a production line going.  It was cheaper than buying ready made arrows, and a lot more satisfying. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 01:03:03 PM »
Louie - Back then you were a better man than I was, all I did was to to Sears and buy the Cedar or Wooden Arrows and wrote a number on the side of the shaft to let me know which ones was the most accurate one that shoots best in my bow at the time...today I do the same thing except I make the plastic arrow with a number from a Sharpie telling me which one that shoots best....BTW....the Crossbow shoot 9 out of 12 through the same hole, have to use different spots on the Morrell target so I don't have to re-fletch the
arrows.....

But will try and take a rimfire that shoots the 22 short rifles to the range and see what happens...should be interesting......   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad