New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: scent freaks??????  (Read 279 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
scent freaks??????
« on: September 01, 2018, 05:37:18 PM »
it's official today. no more scented shampoo or deodorant. the only time I will use scented soap will be in the work bathroom. I believe it will take 2 weeks to get all the scent off

all my cloths that will go into the woods with, towels.... are clean w/ scent free soap. I will wear rubber boots to check cams and any other reason I hit the woods.

when season hits, my cover scent of choice is pine/cedar. it works great for me. forget scent-loc. cover works 10x better IMO. the deer up north are supper sensitive since it's wilderness. around here, they aren't nearly are weary. it's been years since I was blown at for scent

anyone else w/ me?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: scent freaks??????
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:13:18 PM »
I don't worry about it, since I normally deer hunt in a blind.  My old  blind was more prone to being affected by the wind, but since it faced the west, it wasn't an issue.  About 98% of the deer traffic takes place on the west side.  New blind is much more airtight.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »
I just shower with a scent body soap , that kills all scent .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 07:49:27 AM »
I'm with you Yari, you're not as weird as your wife says you are, about this anyway.   @--0--0123
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 06:03:26 PM »
Not i

I try to wash before the hunt with scent free soap, not always if time does not permit.

I use the spay down stuff but not too heavy.

I use the scent free clothes eash but dont lock them away in scent free lock bags etc.

Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »
I wash with unscented soap and shampoo, unscented deordorant, wash all my hunting clothes in unscented laundry soap, even the towels I dry with. All clothes and accessories are stored in airtight bags with earth wafers. Spray down good with Sent-A-Way spray before going in the woods. Wipe down all my gear with the unscented wipes. AM I fanatical? Probably. I hunt in a stand and continually have deer right below and all around me and don't scent me! It works for me and I am confident when I go into the woods!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 08:50:19 PM »
I usually wash my hunting clothes in scent free soap at the beginnjng of the season. For myself I just use apple scented Suave shampoo/body wash. I do this more for the UV killer than the scent killer.

I used to be a scent freak but found it to be a huge chore that sucked the fun out of it.   I see no fewer deer now than before.

The most I may do is is some scent killer when I leave the truck but that is even rare any more.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
Of the last 4 deer I've taken, three were inside of 10 yards & the "long one" was about 15 yards from the stand.  Like BC, I don't get scent busted much.  Year 'round I use unscented soap & unscented deodorant, try to stick to unscented shampoo during the season. Wash my hunting clothes (outer layers that is) a couple of times during season with unscented detergent.   I mix up my own scent killer spray that I use just before walking away from the vehicle on outside of boots & clothes and on the inside of my hat, jacket, and boots when returning to the vehicle.  Have a lot of oak & walnut in the area, so I toss 8-10 walnuts (with the husk still on) and a couple handfuls of oak leaves into a gallon bucket and that sits in the bottom of the wardrobe that only my hunting clothes are in, along with some walnuts in the bottom of the bag I shove my clothes into when I'm driving down south to hunt.  Perfect answer?  Probably not, but I've had good success with it for over 20 years & that gives me the confidence to stick with it.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »
it's good to see i'm not alone. about 10 years back, I started buying completely different clothes for fishing and hunting. I even keep turkey clothes separate from deer clothes. fishing especially is smelly. i like the ritual between seasons

NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 02:58:53 AM »
Wow, you guys are scent freaks. Good to hear you found something that works and are sticking with it. Best of luck this hunting season.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »
I am not a scent freak for sure but I do have my process. I never wash my hunting clothes until the end of the season unless I get a big sweat going in them. I wash my clothes and hang them in a cedar lined closet in my shed. When the season starts I get dressed the first morning go out to my burn pile and light off some oak leaves and stand in the smoke for just a minute or two. If I am hunting the farm with cows on it I will step in a few cow pies on the way to my stand just in case. i do hunt the wind every time I deer hunt for me that is 90% of not getting made. Now don't faint but I go #1 right out of the stand no bottle. Now I have not killed a lot of trophy deer but I have killed quite a few deer over the years  ;D
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »
I am not a scent freak for sure but I do have my process. I never wash my hunting clothes until the end of the season unless I get a big sweat going in them. I wash my clothes and hang them in a cedar lined closet in my shed. When the season starts I get dressed the first morning go out to my burn pile and light off some oak leaves and stand in the smoke for just a minute or two. If I am hunting the farm with cows on it I will step in a few cow pies on the way to my stand just in case. i do hunt the wind every time I deer hunt for me that is 90% of not getting made. Now don't faint but I go #1 right out of the stand no bottle. Now I have not killed a lot of trophy deer but I have killed quite a few deer over the years  ;D

i've read a ton on making #1 on of your stand. i've even done it in scrapes w/ cams over them. my conclusion is #1 don't alert deer
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »

i've read a ton on making #1 on of your stand. i've even done it in scrapes w/ cams over them. my conclusion is #1 don't alert deer
Agree with that
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »
I try and usually do but there are times I cant wash up, wash clothes etc. I do apply some of that scent spray neturalizer but sometimes I just grab my gear and go. 
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital