New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Work Weekend Food Plots in the Books for Another Year  (Read 215 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Work Weekend Food Plots in the Books for Another Year
« on: August 27, 2018, 02:40:32 PM »
This past weekend we had our annual Work Weekend down at the Hunt Club (aka...Butts County Sportsman Association) in Monroe County, GA. Boy was it hot, humid but filled with lots of fun....The pleasant surprises was the Bobcat a member got his hands on and brought it down and we got a whole lot of work done with it!! We got to meet the new much younger new members, and boy if you don't think you need new blood in your club, count the number of gray hairs in it versus the youngsters (anybody under 40) in your next club meeting....It was good to see the younger members of the club...they get things done!!

We clean up around camp, in the cook-shack, moved a trailer, rebuilt a bridge, got 14 foot plots plowed, fertilized, limed and planted....thanks to the back bone of our club, Thank you goes out to Split Toe, Jap51, Deerhead, CobbGuy, Metalman and a few others that are not TH members (yet). We all put our old back and bad knees into getting the hunt club fixed up for one more season....and yes the heater in the cook shack has a new flue in it......

Us old timers could work till about 1 to 2 PM then we had to stop till about 6 PM, man that sun can cook and just drain you or your energy!! but thanks to the persistence of the old guard, we got a lot of things done....and we are not ready for the season, first up this Sept 1st is dove Season and right behind it on Sept 8th starts Archery Season in Georgia and then on Oct 13 Starts Muzzle Loader (aka Primitive Weapons) season and a week later start the High Powered Season on the 20th of Oct.....it will be here and gone before you know it...so thanks for all those old and new members who put in their sweat into this past weekend!!

Attached are a couple of pictures.......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
Re: Work Weekend Food Plots in the Books for Another Year
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
Wow, that is getting it done (14 food plots plus all the other stuff)!!!  Nice work guys.  Thanks for the pictures Bo, I always enjoy seeing pictures of hard work in progress/finish.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 05:03:57 PM »
14 plots? how many total acres?

nice work guys. it is tough but rewarding work. now hope for timely rains
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
14 plots? how many total acres?

nice work guys. it is tough but rewarding work. now hope for timely rains
We have a little over 700 acres. The largest plot is appox 2 acres and the rest about 1/2 to 3/4 acre with two other plots planted in lanes at about 250 yards long by 12 feet wide each. We've got 200 acres panted in three year old pine and another 150 acres cutover that will be burned in September and planted in pine next spring. We have four creeks on the property that have a lot of white oak and pin oak bottoms. We have a 115 acres piece and a 74 acre piece that have never been cut and consist of mostly hardwood.

We needed to rebuild the bridge that the logging crew broke to pieces trying to move a big skidder over it. Many, many years ago the road the bridge is built on was a county road that went through the middle of the property that the county has not maintained for 20 or more years and we rebuilt the bridge about 7 years ago. Hopefully the second time is a charm. If you look at Bo's picture you can see the steel I beams that are on concrete walls that was used for the original bridge. You can drive a truck or tractor over it with now problem. The runners you see in the middle sit over two of the steel I beams. One the far east side of the property are two loading docks that make up 3 to 5 acres that I planted browntop millet in May and hope to have a nice Dove shoot next week. After the burn and planting next year we'll make food plots out of them.

We have a real good deer population, two maybe three coveys of wild quail and a fare amount of Turkeys. We do our best to keep the yotes thinned out as we have a few opportunities each deer season. 

The guys really did a great job, all of us old retired guys started on Thursday and worked four days. The food was good as always we had hot dogs and Cincinnati chili on Thursday night, Smoked Boston butts off the Green Egg (pulled pork) and baked beans on Friday and Steak, baked potato and salad on Saturday...and your favorite adult beverage of choice each night. It was a lot of hard work but we all had a great time and had lots of laughs as always. Life is good at deer camp.... It will take me a few days to get over this aching back but It's was all worth it. Now just some rain please!!!

NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 08:13:47 PM »
That's a lot of work to get done in a weekend .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 08:25:57 PM »
Fantastic place you guys have - even more fantastic based on all of the sweat you've poured into it.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 09:08:12 PM »
sounds like a great piece of land.

nothing wrong w/ hard work. it is sure a nice change from my desk work

congrats on a great weekend
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 07:55:36 AM »
You guys Got'er Done!   ##$%#11

I do not even go to my Dog Hunting Club the last few years for the one work day, been a member for 26 years.  It's three counties South of me.  55 members there and most of them are local boys under 40.  Mostly bush hogging roads and repairing gates.  I pay the $75 fine in my dues each year.  Last time I took my tractor and bush hogged, had to cool off in the truck before I could load the tractor and drive home.  My wife does not let me do that anymore.
My Still Hunt Club is 8 miles away with 500 acres and we are having our work day this Saturday, clear paths, post new posted signs and clean up around our gate, trash/weeds.  7 members and I am the 3rd oldest.  My wife will be with me helping, her older brother (2nd oldest member) and two of his sons are members.  I had heat exhaustion when I was a young buck and cannot take to much now and the older I get the worse it has become.
I really LOVE Fall and Spring!    @--0--0105

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 09:43:46 AM »
You guys did an awesome job and accomplished a lot. I'm looking forward to heading south in Nov. to spend a few days with you all, I just wish I lived a little closer and could get there to help out with some of the maintenance. BTW I'm coming for the food, if I get a chance to hunt for a few days, that's a bonus  --099-780 If anyone has never eaten split toes ribs, you don't know what you are missing.  ##$%#111

Thanks for sharing the pictures BO, you all did an awesome job on the bridge, I remember the damage from a couple years ago, it was not a safe journey across it.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
Shoo Wee you fellas got it done right there!! Bridge is looking good and 14 plots!! Like you said Bo young horsepower is a great thing!! Nice job!!! @--0--0123 @--0--0123
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 04:06:58 PM »
Guys Bo is not telling the whole story!  The retired crew (Split Toe, Jap51, BoBallistic, CobbGuy, Metalman)  did the lions share of work!  We working stiffs showed up on Friday night for some fine dining (Boston Butt from his Big Green Egg) thanks to Split Toe!  Then put in a "half" days work. 

Now like Bo said having the young guys in camp is great.  They ran circles around us.  Just want to say thanks to all the guys for a job well done!  Its really great to share camp with these guys. 

Gutshot see you in a few weeks.   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »
Thanks Deerhead for the compliments, it was a team effort and there are some advantages of being retired. Maybe my body will be able to get back to the range and to the reloading bench in a few days...my whole body is still very sore, especially around the hands and knees...everything else seems to be healing in its own time...

If the guys go Dove hunting good luck and if you go (and boys Deerhead is the best Archery shot in our club bar none, just ask HM....LOL....so good luck the first of the season and beyond, will be down on the 9th of Oct.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
Guys Bo is not telling the whole story!  The retired crew (Split Toe, Jap51, BoBallistic, CobbGuy, Metalman)  did the lions share of work!  We working stiffs showed up on Friday night for some fine dining (Boston Butt from his Big Green Egg) thanks to Split Toe!  Then put in a "half" days work. 

Now like Bo said having the young guys in camp is great.  They ran circles around us.  Just want to say thanks to all the guys for a job well done!  Its really great to share camp with these guys. 

Looking forward to it, just turn down the heater for a few days and run off the rain clouds this time.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »

Looking forward to it, just turn down the heater for a few days and run off the rain clouds this time.
Amen to that...things have changed a lot since you last visit...looking forward to it!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad