New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Suing Cabela's - Again  (Read 361 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Suing Cabela's - Again
« on: August 22, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/woman-sues-cabelas-for-a-crossbow-lesson-that-ended-with-weapon-recoiling-into-her-eye-082218.html

It sure seems like since Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops have merged, it sure seems like they are getting more and more lawsuits on their hands.....the above link is just the latest in a string of law suits brought on by someone not knowing anything about a product....

The questions remain - Where did she get her "lesson" from which store and person, are they in working together, is she a pawn in a bigger scheme...did a lawyer put her up to it?? who knows and she might have a case here but I think all she is trying to do is to get money from a big box store....

Would be interested in hearing your point of view on this and other cases against Cabela's and/or Bass Pro Shops......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Suing Cabela's - Again
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 07:36:25 PM »
My goodness Bo, I'm not even sure where to start on my rant here.  I'll start with the bottom line:  The judge needs to throw this silly wench and her silly lawyer out of the courthouse after fining them several thousands of dollars for wasting the court's time.  Lawyer should lose his/her license for bringing such frivolous crap to the court.  Until some of that starts happening this stupid crap will continue to grow.  Yeah, the lady needs an MRI and neurological study for sure - to figure out if she even has a brain and if so where it is located.  Recoil so strong that the scope hit her eye?  The only way that's possible is if one of the limbs hit something solid (like a support column in the building) as she pulled the trigger, forcing the bow backwards.  Aside from that it's basic laws of physics which will ensure there is no recoil to speak of.  I'd have to do a little figurin' but I think the sharpest "recoil" pulse on a conventional Xbow is actually pulling the bow away from the shooter rather than towards them.

Any company with deep pockets is subject to this frivolous crap - people can make up all sorts of bizarre schemes to bilk a company out of a fat check.  Makes me sick.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 08:21:02 PM »
mad hit it on the head. it will be cheaper to throw her some money vs atty cost, but no way. kick her to the curb. on a side note, if the court starts charging idiots for wasting their time, the lawsuits get cut down significantly.

in my business, they throw money away instead of fighting. until they stop, everyone is at risk for the stupidest lawsuit. drives me nuts. if you are right, FIGHT
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:29:08 PM »
I've been puched in the eye more than once from scopes on rifles. Never from a crossbow, not sure how thats even possible.

Even when punched by a rifle scope I just walked it off and never needed an MRI and neurological exam.

I'm calling BS and overexaggeration of events.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 08:24:13 AM »
I'm just shaking my head, another money grub looking for a quick buck. My only hope is that the judge is a crossbow shooter/hunter.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 08:54:51 AM »
Money grab for sure!! My 13 yo son has been shooting my Excalibur since he was 7 and hasn't been injured. Even if she had the scope touching her eye when she shot I doubt it would cause a black eye!! I am with Mad on this fine them for wasting the court's time.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
Let me play devil’s advocate.  I had personal experience with Bass Pros incompetent archery staff.  I had them tie a D-loop for me.  They the “archery technician” took me into their range to shoot a couple of arrows.  As I was drawing the first arrow the D-loop came untied and my fist slammed into my cheek. I thought I just got mugged!  Yep I just gave myself a black eye!   No I did not get a lawyer, but once I got my composure I walked out the door.  Lesson learned Never use their service.  Its cash and carry only. 
So does she have a case?  Maybe!  Did she hold the cross bow correctly?  Why did it recoil?  You are right there should not be any recoil.  She has to prove it did and how they are at fault. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
I shoot a Barnett Brotherhood crossbow and I don't recall any recoil with it. It's a little noisy but I've never noticed a recoil. As far as she experiencing nausea, I think she is rather giving it to us, not actually having it herself. Throw it out. I seriously doubt everything that she said happened actually did. MRI etc. Seriously?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »
Sad thing is that companies will often settle rather than fight it in court if they see it as the less expensive  and less damaging route.  We then pay for it at the check out counter.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 08:30:21 PM »
MIB - for sure - the system today rewards that bad behavior on the part of a few bad apples and the rest of us at the end of the day get to pay for it all one way or the other.  With all of the militant PETA/Antifa/etc kooks these days you start to wonder if it's not some sort of underhanded scheme to make it very unattractive for a business to sell firearms & other hunting & shooting equipment.  Wouldn't put it past them.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad