New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Deer Hunting with Air Rifles  (Read 599 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Deer Hunting with Air Rifles
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:37:42 AM »
Just happen to catch the Jackie Bushman show yesterday on TV yesterday and they had to Commissioner of the Game Agency there and he told me that this year you could use PCP Air Rifles to hunt deer....it has to be a certain size and have at least 3K PSI. He went on to say that 3 or 4 states have already has approved deer hunting with Air Rifles, be sure to check with your local game laws but this is a coming trend??

If you watch the squirrels destruction videos on you tube, lots of fun to watch, but all of them use a different manufacturer Air Rifle, but this will be expensive to get into and dangerous as well.....but it is worth it?? maybe or maybe not.....you have to decide...maybe for does on doe day....

The commissioner did mention that Lewis and Clark used one (he is referring to the Giraridoni Air Rifle) and that is what started it all....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa4JQKNHP2M

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:47:14 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Re: Deer Hunting with Air Rifles
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:48:46 AM »
That's interesting...wondering what type of ammunition you use, reloading lead???  What state approved this Bo?

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »
great info on the video.

as for the airgun for hunting big game, i think it will be a fad. something different to try. i could be wrong, but i don't see a material impact. just like the airbow
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »
I watched a video of a guy killing a buck with a .50 cal air rifle at 40 yds very interesting. I believe Arizona, Michigan and Missouri are states where you can hunt whitetail deer with an air rifle. I think it has to be 35 cal or bigger, you will have to check the state law. I know in Maryland you can hunt deer with an air bow but they are both expensive hobbies. 
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 07:23:05 PM »
It is indeed an expensive hobby - not your average Daisy Red Ryder stuff.  I keep looking at them and have watched a ton of videos, but as most of you know I'm pretty tight with my money and just haven't talked myself into one yet.  On the low end of the price scale for a big bore (something at least .30 cal)  you'd have to sink a minimum of $600-700 into the rifle, then add in scope, high pressure charging gear, etc.  Seems like about a $1200 proposition on the low end and at least twice that on the high end.  I'm fascinated by them, but not enough yet to open up the wallet.  A handful of states allow them for deer, many more for critters like pigs & yotes (and of course for rodents).  Once you get up into the .35 and larger cals, guys are typically using cast lead pistol bullets.  The Benjamin Bulldog probably provides the best bang for the buck at entry level for something capable of taking a deer down (.35 cal) but there are quite a few other names out there like AirForce, Hatsan, and more.  In the bigger bores they're subsonic for the most part but can still send a heavy pill downrange with decent energy.  Nosler came out with a lead ballistic tipped bullet in partnership with Benjamin for the Bulldog - general reports look good on it for game.  These are PCP (Pre-Charged Pneumatic) air rifles, and can be had in .17, .22, .25, .30, .35, .44, .50, and probably a few more I've forgotten about.  Below .30 they're generally using something that's designed specifically for airguns, generally the diablo shape but some simple round nosed cavity back pellets too. In those smaller calibers they have supersonic capability but they're so close that most guys regulate down to to subsonic to avoid the stability/accuracy problems which arise when the bullet loses velocity & crosses the speed of sound. Personally I don't see myself ever going after deer with one even if Illinois were to legalize it (not holding my breath on that either) but for yotes, ground squirrels, raccoons, and other things I occasionally need to thin out I do ponder them . . . would love to just try one out for an afternoon.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 02:06:11 AM »
Just found out some good info....if you want any current and credible info you go to a Air Rifle Website. I am sure they are pushing the use of there products which translates to sales, so I went to  UMAREX website and they had a map of which states are legal and which states are not, so if this picture shows you that it is legal to hunt deer and turkey. Here they are

There are at least five states that specifically allow airgun hunting for turkey: California, Maryland, Michigan, Tennessee, and Virginia. States that allow hunting for at least one big game species with big bore airguns is growing and includes, but may not be limited to: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Washington State.

So check with each state laws before buying a one size smaller for deer hunting!! you know our luck, you buy a 38 caliber and the state in which you live has a law on the books that state you will need a min 40 caliber to hunt with!! So please check your local game commission to find out the right stuff....

Heck, here in Tennessee, you can hunt both Turkey and Deer with Air Rifles!!! Did not know that.....

Here is a website that I found that could be helpful.....http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/hunting/2014/08/the-travelling-airgun-hunter-know-the-laws-and-the-people/
Call the Traveling Airgun Hunter....good read and very informative....

Here is another website that is very informative for starters...it is 3 years old so keep that in mind.....
https://www.range365.com/big-bore-air-rifle-revolution

Here is the AirForce Airguns website....check out the prices on the accessories page....
http://www.airforceairguns.com/default.asp

And here is a big website that every year they, and many others, show up at the Shot Show in Las Vegas, Air Rifles has its own culture and following....that I am just learning about.....
https://hatsanusa.com/

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:25:55 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 07:48:23 PM »
Bo - thanks for the links.  Airgun hunting has a cult following for sure and it's growing.  Jim Chapman (his stuff is in your first link) is one that really seems to have a wealth of knowledge and does not advocate for any particular brand or type of airgun (springers or PCPs), seems pretty unbiased and definitely willing to freely share his thoughts.  He has stuff on line to read and also YouTube content.  As with any kind of activity we enjoy, you'll encounter differing and often very strong opinions, you just need to sift through it and start forming your own views (of course that goes a lot faster once you buy an airgun or three and start tinkering).  You need a .30 Bo so you can add to your ".308" collection for sure!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
I know that I would not want to get hit with a 45 caliber with a 350 gn bullet......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 07:25:09 PM »
If it is legal and one can afford it, I say fine, go for it!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital