New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Big Work weekend  (Read 284 times)

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
Big Work weekend
« on: August 19, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »
Well, after a long weekend on the tractor and fourwheeler, I completed all the plots about 20 minutes before the rain started so I guess it was perfect timing.  Only had to plant around 3.5 acres total but one of the plots was brand new and have been working last summer and this summer getting the trees taken out that needed removed. Still have some more to take out but it was time to get them in so will maybe cut some of them down over then next few years or wait until the fusion is worn out to take them out.  Plenty of light getting through just need to remove them to make planting and tilling easier.  Ended up planting an acre of whitetail institute fusion, 1.5 acres of imperial clover, and 1 acre of pure attraction on the new farm.  A couple weeks ago I overseeded tall tine tubers into standing beans, missed the rain on that one, did it right after a big rain, seed was still there so today's rain should germinate it.  If I can find another free weekend or two planning on building a couple of elevated box blinds, but those weekends are few and far between with silage chopping, haying the new farm, calf weaning and harvesting just around the corner.  Good luck to all whose season has started or will be starting soon!
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Re: Big Work weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:48:07 AM »
Yep, never enough time to complete everything in one season.  How are you enjoying the new tractor?  It sounds like you went with the tiller as well....good choice!

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »
Yep, never enough time to complete everything in one season.  How are you enjoying the new tractor?  It sounds like you went with the tiller as well....good choice!
I'm really liking it.  Need some more implements for it though so can wean off only using the fourwheeler for seeding and maybe some fertilizing. I did stay with the tiller, and like it, especially when breaking new ground, my only complaint is that its really quite slow, I'm so used to tearing up 15 to 20 acres an hour with 25 foot equipment at 7 or 8 mph on the farm so then going to a 6 ft tiller at 1.5 mph really is quite slow.  my 4 acre bean plot I can get bigger equipment in, so I think in the future I will use the older 4630 and 21 ft disc to tear that up and just plant with the 4720.  One thing I will remember from now on is some extra fuel for the compact tractor, last 10 minutes of tilling on saturday the gauge was laying way over on the empty, luckily I have an aunt and uncle about a mile from the farm so I was able to get back there and park it until I can bring a little fuel up this week.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:05:28 AM »
Oh man, yeah that's a pretty big shock jumping out of big equipment at "high speed" and crawling around with a 6' tiller, but I'll bet you're going to have an awesome plot out of the deal. 

My Powerplant plot is thriving even though I got it in late and was pretty marginal on moisture.  Got some grass in it but the beans and sunflowers are getting above it now.  Had to get out in it yesterday and yank out about 40 cockleburrs, hate those things and didn't want them to go to seed. This plot is only a half acre, they'll be hitting it hard in a month or two after the corn and beans are taken out around us.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:23:47 AM »
Congrats on the perfect timing...best of luck this season!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 10:21:58 AM »
nice work. it looks like you got nice rain down there. i'm praying for rain on mine this week. it's been 2 weeks w/o a drop. i hope the dew in the mornings is heavy to get me past the dry spell.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad