New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 3 plots planted  (Read 201 times)

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
3 plots planted
« on: August 12, 2018, 12:38:27 PM »
Well we humped it yesterday.  I woke up at 1:30 AM thinking it was time to get up...lol.  We finally got started at 6:30 AM and finished at 4:00 PM.  We limed and fertilized, tilled, planted and cultipacked three plots ranging from 1/2 acre to 1 acre in preparation for the impending rain coming tomorrow (Monday).  I attached pictures of two plots: the first picture is after I ripped it and while the wife is tilling it, the second is after the plot has been planted and cultipacked, and the third is another action shot of the wife tilling the largest plot.  We didn't get pictures of the third plot.  We also hung another stand overlooking the third plot.  I was so tired I didn't even have an adult beverage, I'm saving that for today!  ##$%#14

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: 3 plots planted
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »
I know the feeling. I did my 5 acres and I was spent. it looks like I have a lot more rocks than you do though unfortunately.

did you say on your post about your tractor you were mowing 100 acres?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »
Congrats Ben, it's always a great feeling to look back on a hard day of work and see progress like that - - even a better feeling when you watch the rain hitting it a day or two later, good luck with that forecast and enjoy that beer - thinking I'll go grab one myself.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline King Ben

• 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 07:08:50 AM »
Yari - That is correct

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 10:29:17 AM »
Yari - That is correct

are you planning to fill those areas in w/ bedding cover, apples, chestnuts...? that is a lot of open are unless you are renting it or farming it
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline King Ben

• 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 03:33:57 PM »
The open areas are awesome bedding/cover not only for deer, but we have flushed up multiple coveys of young quail!!!  (When I say open/pasture I mean the grasses are 4-6' tall).  I still have to figure out how I want to rotate the bushogging.  The entire place will be bushhogged at least once per year to keep saplings from growing.  Other than that, it is providing awesome quail habitat.  We have discussed planting five acres of millet next year just for bird habitat.  My former tenant in SC said the hogs are destroying his 300 acres of milo so we can't plant milo here either due to the hogs.  I'm still in the learning curve for this farm and will take a couple of years to figure out the "flow" of the property.   

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »
that makes sense. i was thinking you were cutting 2-3 times per year or making hay. 4-6' is great cover.

i'm glad I don't have hogs. they seem like a real pain. I guess we all have our demons. I have wolves and bears

enjoy learning your property. hopefully it's a steep curve
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 06:33:24 PM »
Ben congrats it always nice to get those plots in the ground. That's awesome that you have some wild coveys of Quail. Brown top is excellent as well as Bahia, Lespedeza, Crown Vetch. I was raised hunting Quail in south Georgia as we had thousands of them back in the day. They are making a strong come back. Do you have any cats...the reason I ask is a domestic cat can be very destructive when it comes to Quail...Good luck!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
Ben - you might see if you have a local branch of Pheasants Forever out there, they could advise you on plantings for your location to hold the birds and may even have some equipment to loan out if you need a drill or something.  A mix of plantings for both feed and cover would be ideal to keep the birds thriving.  My old neighbor was very active in PF & always eager to dispense advice and help.  One of the items on my retirement list is to see if I can get some gamebirds established on my place.  It's been a few years since I've heard any bobwhite quail, couldn't tell you the last time I've seen a pheasant locally, probably close to 20 years.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 11:20:13 AM »
Ben - you might see if you have a local branch of Pheasants Forever out there, they could advise you on plantings for your location to hold the birds and may even have some equipment to loan out if you need a drill or something.  A mix of plantings for both feed and cover would be ideal to keep the birds thriving.  My old neighbor was very active in PF & always eager to dispense advice and help.  One of the items on my retirement list is to see if I can get some gamebirds established on my place.  It's been a few years since I've heard any bobwhite quail, couldn't tell you the last time I've seen a pheasant locally, probably close to 20 years.

great idea. i know PH set up all the fields in SD where i hunt. they like to plant shelter belts w/ cedar, russian olive and other bushes
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline King Ben

• 8 Point
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 01:39:04 PM »
Split - Great idea with the other grasses, I didn't think of those.  We do have a few small pockets of lespedeza.  Yeah, domestic cats get the same treatment as coyotes (sorry cat lovers) on my farms. 

Mad - Great idea...we actually have Quail Forever clubs out here.  I probably will either join or at least contact them for more information.  Thanks for the "reminder".

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »
I have culled many a "domestic" cat over the years, yep same treatment as a yote unless it seems to be someone's pet that ran off.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad