New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Smoke Poles for 2018....time to get them out  (Read 132 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Smoke Poles for 2018....time to get them out
« on: August 09, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
Just a quick reminder that the Georgia Bow season will be here in about a month and then Muzzle Loader or Smoke Poles season will be here in about two months!! So it is time to get them out and take them to the range with you and verify that they are on and that they are ready to go!!!

Many years ago, I had a misfire on a huge old Elk in Colorado, you could call it a misfire but it was operator error, I was using the Pyrodex RS style powder this "new" back then was for the In-Line Muzzle Loaders and not the side lock ones....well it have fired about a dozen times at the range no problem and did give it a second thought until it snapped on the Elk at 33 yards away, there is no way I could have missed him, he was so big and I was so small.....it just wasn't that time for the Elk that day becuase I fired the rifle another 6 or 7 times at the range the follow year with any problems....just wasn't that Elk day!!! it wasn't mine either...LOL...

So the next year, was at a DU banquet in downtown Atlanta and won a Remington M700 in-line. This was my first in-line that I owned, it was serial number 103! the following year put a conversion kit into it where it fired 209 caps in it....then a few years later got married (again) and bought her one, put a kit in it as well with the same scope on it a Tasco World Calls Plus 4X (this was the last really good scope that Tasco, located in Miami produced, the glass was like a VX2...I was so impressed that I bought about 12 of them in the next year). Then I bought a Savage ML10II, then a T/C Omega, then finally in 2012 purchased a CVA Accura II. All of my muzzle loaders shoot very well, I can pick anyone of them up and they will shoot 1.5" at 100 yards...the CVA Accura II will shoot 1 inch groups all day long.....Still have that old side lock the misfired on that Elk in Colorado....and also have a 45 caliber Hawkins that I use for years and years in Georgia....

Today it is all about the cleaning, the sabot, the bullet, the powder, and the amount.....that you use.....

Now is the time to head out to the range and practice!!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:27:50 PM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
Re: Smoke Poles for 2018....time to get them out
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »
Oct 1 is our archery opener & weekend before Thanksgiving is my first opportunity to take one with the muzzleloader.  Getting the itch to go burn some powder but the heat/bugs are kinda ugly here at the moment, looking forward to a little break in the weather.  Smokepole has been pretty darn stable the last several years, will put 3-5 rounds through it at 100 yds. to verify before season, but that thing really shoots nice with the current recipe.  Need more than Bo's dime, but can generally cover 3 holes with a quarter at 100 yds - very adequate given the short ranges I typically have in the woods.  80 yards has been my longest in recent years, 5 yards my shortest, most inside of 25.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:30:51 PM »
I really need a smokepole. I've only shot one once years ago. the season in WI is after the regular gun season. I can use my .44, so I defer to that
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:45:49 PM »
I really need a smokepole. I've only shot one once years ago. the season in WI is after the regular gun season. I can use my .44, so I defer to that

Here's the logic I use on my wife Yari:   I don't have one, therefore I must need one . . .

Heck, once or twice it's almost worked!      @--0--0131 @--0--0136 --099-780
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »

Here's the logic I use on my wife Yari:   I don't have one, therefore I must need one . . .

Heck, once or twice it's almost worked!      @--0--0131 @--0--0136 --099-780

been there done that. the .44 just seems easier. I can't shoot as far as a ML, but I hunt thick stuff so no need. you never know. one might sneak into the safe
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »
Yari - I own 7 Muzzle loaders and here is some advice....get at least a 50 calibers or larger, reason being that if you every go out West to hunt Elk you will need at least a 50 caliber or larger to hunt Elk in the Western States....

I have owned about 10 of them and let me tell you that everyone of them is different...just like a regular rifle, some shoots good up to 3 or 4 shots and then need cleaning....I figured that I will not get more than two shots on a Deer or Elk, so at the range I shoot patterns of 2 shots, sometimes 3 shots, but pay close attention to the first two that I shoot.....will clean the Muzzle Loader there at the range (sometimes), most of the time will bring it home, and study the targets and then make any scope adjustments.....

You bullets is up to you, I use Blackhorn 209 and I weigh all my powder, not a "by volume" guy.  Remember that 100 gns of Volume equals 77 gns of weighed powder (hint that is why they call it Triple 7 Powder.....I use what every bullet weight gets me the most accuracy out of the rifles...my main shooter is a CVA Accura II with a Nikon BDC scope on it....but that is just mine....I still us Triple 7 as my go to powder on some of my Muzzle Loaders....Many years ago I order a new Muzzle loader from Cabela's and it turn out to be a piece of junk, sent it back and got a T/C Omega in it place...the T/C cost me more but it was worth it.....that piece of junk ML was a CVA back before they got a qood QC program going and started listening to feedback from it customers....Once I sent it back to Cabela's with a note telling them exactly how I felt about that cheap ML....but not today, CVA Accura is one of the most Accurate ML out there.....

Scopes on your ML should be a simple 2X or 4X, 2-7X, 3-9X or even a 1.5-6X. One inch tube will work just fine....the season down here is the south is in mid October and the leaves are still on the trees and your sight picture is short shot for sure. that is why I use a 7X or 8X Binoculars and when the leaves fall off the trees, I will got with a 10X binoculars.....

Setting up a ML is like setting up a new rifle, take your time and do it right, think about your future hunts and the possibilities that may come your way......Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 09:13:38 PM »
bo- a ML would have to fall into my lap. like I said, I can use my .44 during ML season as it is a 'primitive weapon' season or my bow. you never know though
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 05:44:49 AM »
Yari - Just trying to get you thinking about ML's, that's all....you have to treat like another rifle.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 04:56:34 PM »
Yari - Just trying to get you thinking about ML's, that's all....you have to treat like another rifle.....

I appreciate your input. I just don't think I can/will pull the trigger (pun intended)on a ML if I can use my pistol. any additions would require another safe and place to hide the safe
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad