New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: plot time  (Read 507 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
plot time
« on: July 24, 2018, 07:58:58 PM »
i'm heading up Thursday and getting all the annuals planted. my forage beans didn't come up so that's an extra 1.6 acres I wasn't planting to plant. (I was sold last years seed that was getting baked all last summer) i'll get approx. 5 acres done if all goes well. there is rain predicted Wednesday. anything less than 1" will be fine. the temps will be low 80's. i'll take that!!

here's a good one. my fertilizer ag store no longer bags fert. they said if I want, I could bring 5 gallon pails to fill. I NEED 750#!!! THAT'S 25ISH PAILS. seriously ??? ??? I did find some bagged fert, but it adds another 50 miles. I sure hope the bambis appreciate what we go through to feed them @--0--0105

I really enjoy planting. this is a fun time of the year for me. hopefully I get timely rain. 5 acres will be a lot of food if all goes well. plus, the 50+ mature apple trees are loaded. should be a deer meca I hope. can you tell i'm ready for hunting season?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
Re: plot time
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 06:10:28 AM »
yari, you sound fired up and ready to go. Hope the rain holds off and you can get things done. Talking about those five gallon pales of fertilizer makes my back hurt just thinking about it... @--0--0105
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 06:39:15 AM »
Good Luck and Git'er Done!   @--0--0101

Hope you get the correct rain right after.   @--0--0119

Weather people sure are getting it wrong here.  Have floods all around us and we have gotten half an inch in three weeks.  My water bill is going to be high keeping water in the wife's pond for her Koi fish.   @--0--0127

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2018/07/22/crops_suffer_from_heat_lack_of_rain/

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 07:35:43 AM »
Yari - Split Toe and the rest of the club members know how you feel....time for sweat and more sweat...and the Aleeve!!! Holy Cow, it is a lot of work fixing to be done by the TH members!!! Split Toe told the members to be down at the club on Saturday the 25 of August to put in the food plots and to rebuild the main bridge, thanks to the loggers!!

Split Toe will be down probably a few times before the last weekend in August just prepping the food plots getting the ready for the "toppings" we normally put down. Jap51 is the master director and keeps track of what goes where......he does a good job of it....each member has been asked to bring down 3 bags of pelletized lime and 3 bags of 10-10-10 fertilizer and this year a 2x8 x 12 ft long piece of wood for the bridge....   

We are on private land so it is OK to bait our food plots and put out some mineral licks and food supplements for the deer!!! Also put a game trail camera there too!!!

So we all feel you pain Yari - Keep Hydrated, it going to be a hot one!!!

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:55:48 AM »
Yep, bushhogged the plots the day before yesterday. Chance of rain this weekend and cooler weather.  I will be spraying the first of next week and start the dirt work, fert/lime, putting up stands, etc. two weeks following the spraying.  Don't forget to take pictures and post them of everyone's progress!!!

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 10:53:20 AM »
bo- cant you get lime delivered vs pel-lime? it's a lot cheaper and lasts longer. from what i've read, pel-lime is a booster but doesn't last long. after i read this, i get 26 tons of ag lime delivered at a time. i think i'm on my 4th delivery.

ben- i disced it all up 4 weeks ago. the weeks should be just coming up. i'll disc it again and plant this weekend. these are all established fields this year. hopefully i will have some impressive plot pics in a month

- i was planning to round-up the fields, but my sprayer isn't working. that will be a fall project when i have time. the motor runs, but doesn't pump. i'm guessing it's the agitator. if i have time, i'll soap it in Dawn dish soap for a couple days. that worked last time

thx all.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 06:51:59 PM »
good luck with the planting yari...I put in soy beans and they are doing ok considering we are in a level one drought here.It was one month with no rain and very hot so everything is brown except for my beans.The deer have eaten quite a few of them but they do have food.We just got a good soaking rain for two days finally.
 We will start tilling for fall plots in about two weeks and hopefully get more rain.
Enjoy the time out there guys and gals.Life is short and can change very quickly.Good health and hunting to all of you south of the border.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 08:16:18 PM »
Good luck Yari , should have enough water in the soil for a good start .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 09:30:35 PM »
Good luck Yari, stay hydrated, 5 acres the hard way is a big workout.  I put about a quarter acre of Powerplant in about a month ago - have just barely had enough rain to keep it going.  I think you guys have had a higher amount of rain by far in recent weeks so should be in decent shape to get things going as long as it's not too sticky.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 03:42:46 PM »
it was a good weekend. i'm glad I went up Thursday. I needed every minute. I got all 4 plots in. 1/2 a day Thursday and two 12 hour days after that. i'm beat!!! @--0--0100

since I didn't get to roundup, I may have to spray w/ a grass herbicide later. has anyone done this? any problems?

plenty of deer. I saw 8 does thurs and no fawns. finally last night I saw 1 fawn. she was a handful and kept the 3 does she was w/ on their toes. I also saw 4 bucks. 2 spikes and 2 small 8 pts

the apples in the open were basically gone. I think the wind got them. I hope the plots make up for the smaller yield

it sure feels good to get that job done @--0--0118 good luck to all and be careful.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:17 PM »
Big accomplishment Yari - congrats!  I haven't messed around with any of the post-emergent herbicides here, the main thing to do is research what impact they have on the different plantings you put in (the stuff you don't wanna kill) and how mature those plants have to be before you hit the plots with the herbicide.  We're just dying for a rain around here - it just keeps missing us. 

That Powerplant plot I put in a month ago started out pretty nicely but has stalled & the native stuff is overtaking it.  Some moisture soon might still allow it to get above the junk and shade it out but it will have to be quick.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 09:13:42 PM »
mad- you must be just missing the rain. it looked like most of ILL got rain yesterday. good luck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 09:38:59 PM »
Last week went north - the inlaws about 90 miles away got over 2 inches.  This past weekend it went just south and west of us - drove back home from KC yesterday in rain most of the way, we had dust in the rain gage when I got home.  Crazy.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 09:41:59 PM »
Last week went north - the inlaws about 90 miles away got over 2 inches.  This past weekend it went just south and west of us - drove back home from KC yesterday in rain most of the way, we had dust in the rain gage when I got home.  Crazy.

Saturday after I finished it was thundering. on the way home, 5 miles north had puddles. soo close to perfect timing
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 08:01:37 PM »
got four tenths this afternoon finally - much needed.  Ground is still hard and cracked but I'll take what I can get at this point.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad