New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: neat coal guage you can make  (Read 274 times)

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
neat coal guage you can make
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:11:09 AM »
Found this on the web , there is a video showing on the web if I find it again I'll post it . Here's a link to the article .
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/07/tool-tip-make-your-own-length-to-lands-gauge/
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: neat coal guage you can make
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 07:11:22 AM »
Sundowner - This is one of my favorite website that I visit all the time, next to Talk Hunting of course!! but many years ago, probably back in the early 80's I knew this was a problem so I set out to find a solution. This device was made long before Hornady came up with there's.....

You take and dedicate a small 22 caliber cleaning rod and a blunt end tip along with a couple of pieces of round aluminum bar stock also a small (1/4 in diameter) dowl about 12" long. They must be drilled and tap for a set screw as shown.... I also use this cleaning rod as the twist rate rod, to determine the twist rate in the barrel. There is a 18" thin black tap on the back side of the photo which I should have shown but for some reason, did not?? Go figure

What I do is to make sure the rifle is unloaded and if the rifle, shotgun or pistol comes into the house it is unloaded for sure, but after I take all those safety precautions, I removed the bolt look down the barrel to see the light and then reinstall the bolt and run the 22 rod down the barrel and set the back one of the alum round bar stock stops in place and then remove the bolt again and stand the rifle onto a rag onto the floor, without the bolt...now I drop the bullet down the barrel until it hits the lans then I use the 12 wooden dowl to gently (basically hold the bullet in place) tap and and then set the rifle in the gun rest and reinsert the cleaning rod until it stops on the end of the bullet tip. Next take the front alumin stop and use the set screw down and then measure between the two and this will give you the COAL of your bullet....Now its not over with yet, I do this 5 times and write down each time simply because the bullet you are dropping down the barrel may get misaligned or cant angle could be skew, but I do this 5 times and document it on the rifle spreadsheet that i have set up for each rifle...I then take the average of the measured distances and use the "average" of all 5 drops.....

Attached are photos of the dedicated 22 cleaning rod and the 2 aluminum stops that I used.....this is how I have been doing my COAL for over 30 years, it works for me....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 07:58:47 PM »
Well Bo I have a Franklin arsenal gauge that I have used and the cousin has the Hornaday gauge but I'm going to try this and see how it works . All reloaders has spent used cartridges and this way will give you the COAL of the cartridge that you are reloading at the time not a generic COAL > I've got the cartridges and the Dremel  tool any way .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:00:16 AM »
Sun - Am glad most hand loaders and manufacturers recognized the need for one of these type tools and they have a couple to choose from....

mine was developed in about 3 months time from start to finish, had to get the "stops" made at the plant I was working at....had to develop a work plan, give them a bogus numbers and allow cost analysis for it...told them that it dampens out vibration on small tubing at the ends and is needed to prove my point so I put "prototype" and would check it out......this is from the same nuke plant that got one of the two Stainless Steel Shrimp boats before getting caught on the second, Yes I am talking about the famous Waterford 3 Nuke Plant located in Luling and Hahnville in Louisiana....about 90 miles west of New Orleans...Yes, those guys...and they were characters for sure!!! But they got it done.....have not told this story to anybody.....got another set made when I worked at the Watts Bar Nukie Plant back in the late 80's....LOL....Most of the guys were building and selling stainless steel traceable tubing belt buckles for $20 each and have one of those too, No the paperwork did not come with the belt buckle...LOL...

Back to New Orleans - All we did was eat sleep work and worked OT in New Orleans, 6 days a week...the only day off we had was the day after Fat Tuesday and whenever the Saints had Monday Night Football and when Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Don Meredith was doing the shows....LOL....boy those were the good old days.....

The test as far as dampening out vibrations actually worked and the results showed that this method would work on smaller bore tubing, but the project was abandon and quietly disappeared (to my possession), because it wasn't thought of from the Client!!! but I have the two 1/4" "stops" as you see in the photos, I drilled and tapped the holes in the side of the "stops" in my Apartment in west New Orleans....besides you have already main COAL tools in the Hornady, RCBS and Franklin.....much easier and simpler to use!! 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
Just got this months Midway sale flyer. They have Hornady Bolt Action OAL gauge on sale for $29.49 and Lever/Automatic for $33.49. Comparator Sets $26.99 for 6 Insert set & $43.99 for 14 Insert set.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
If I had to do it all over again, I would take Dutch's advise and spend the money and buy one!! but since I am so used to the one I have had for so many years, I will stick with the "rig" I have now, gotten use to it....have a hand written notebook full of dimensions that I have taken over to years....and think that it would be a good time to make another spreadsheet out of it..........

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »
Great info. I use the Hornady gauge. Works great. I do the coal test three times and average it. Next time I will do three and five test average.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad