New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Amazon Deals on Game Trail Camera  (Read 249 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Amazon Deals on Game Trail Camera
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 09:12:19 PM »
bo- I won't check cams for 3-4 weeks when I get up there next. I hope there is a decent buck this year @--0--0131 last year was a bust

I've had primo, moutrie, bushnell and browning. since I deal w/ 0 degrees and lower, browning is the only one that works and is my go to cam. I've heard nothing good about cuddie cams especially poor cust service
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 06:58:59 AM »
PJ - You have soooo many GTC's and they seems to last....Yea, I sort expect one or two of them to get stolen, that seems what happens to them these days...easy target....funny a guy whom I use to hunt with had 3 of his stolen one weekend so he set up a dummy camera and caught the guy on a secondary smaller camouflage camera located in a pile of rocks and not on a tree where the one that was on the tree got stolen...they eventually caught the guy after a year. They patterned him using what else GTC...LOL...so they set up a trap for him and sure enough caught him. When they executed a search for his home they found nearly 50 GTC in his possession...the only problem the gave him a slap on the wrist and ordered him to stay out of the woods for the next 2 years, with a fine of $1000 and restoration or replacement of the cameras, many of the owners refuse to press charges and other just never did show up in court....so he got off very easy. So I full expect some of them to get stolen.... 

Yes, I am getting older and the set up for all the Browning are the same way, and that is good. Love them, put them out for about 4 months then bring them home, take the batteries out and test them and transfer the pictures from the SD cards and then get them ready to go again for the following year....

You have had three different manufacturers, which one do you like the best?? Browning, Moultrie or Cuddeback ??

I plan to put all 6 of them out this August in hopes that be fruitful this year....

I would spec out the small fast blow fuses (the AGX series) for most of the PLC panels that would interface with the Series CC for the 480V AC breakers we would spec out..small world.....

Yari - Let us all know if you have a big one of one of the 3 GTC you put out this weekend....

Browning is the best customer service as I stated with the latch problem. Cuddie was the worse.
I love the Dark Ops night flash, no see. 

I now have cable locks on my cameras at our Still hunting club where the one was stolen.  3 other cameras were stolen there the that year from other members, since I had cables on mine they only took the chip out.  We put up hidden cameras and got some night picture, taken with one of my brother n law's cheap camera (He only buys whatever is cheap at wally world) so it was not too clear, but put those out on social media and a few boards with nails in them where they were riding their 4 wheels in.  Not been back.

PJ
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:00:41 AM by Puddle Jumper »
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 8 Point
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 08:07:26 AM »
Some of the newer cameras have GPS on them now so you can track them down if stolen. 

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 04:40:23 PM »
PJ- all you need to do is put a small lock on the cam door along w/ the cable lock. thieves are normally lazy. they would need a bolt cutter or just bust the camera. either way it's more work than they will normally do
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 06:52:16 AM »
PJ- all you need to do is put a small lock on the cam door along w/ the cable lock. thieves are normally lazy. they would need a bolt cutter or just bust the camera. either way it's more work than they will normally do

Already have a bunch of keys.  Truck, Gate, 4-wheeler, stands, camera cables.  Yes, I lock my stands, like to have my stuff in them when I go to hunt.
Would rather they take the chip than bust the camera. 
One of the guys in our club does not lock his truck just to keep anybody from busting the glass to get in.

PJ
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NAHC Life
American Legion
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »
This brings up another good thread - How do you protect your game trail cameras?? Do you get a Nano type GPS tracker device like King Ben suggests or do you put lock boxes with more keys?? Or do you put them on a tree and hope nobody sees it?? This would be a good thread to discuss with other members. I figure that I would lose one per year due to theft of breakage, by yours truly...Daaa....

So what do you do?? Any suggestions?? Would like to hear from a bunch of members on this subject. One lost of stolen is expected, but two or three stolen is unacceptable especially for us on a fixed income.....

PJ - why not while you are down there hunting this year find your self a good locksmith and have him key all your locks to one or two keys....I have routine that I kept my ATV keys separate from the rest of the keys and when I am down there, keep my truck keys separate from my ATV keys...but understand your point....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
2017 SCI Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 11 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
This brings up another good thread - How do you protect your game trail cameras?? Do you get a Nano type GPS tracker device like King Ben suggests or do you put lock boxes with more keys?? Or do you put them on a tree and hope nobody sees it?? This would be a good thread to discuss with other members. I figure that I would lose one per year due to theft of breakage, by yours truly...Daaa....

So what do you do?? Any suggestions?? Would like to hear from a bunch of members on this subject. One lost of stolen is expected, but two or three stolen is unacceptable especially for us on a fixed income.....

PJ - why not while you are down there hunting this year find your self a good locksmith and have him key all your locks to one or two keys....I have routine that I kept my ATV keys separate from the rest of the keys and when I am down there, keep my truck keys separate from my ATV keys...but understand your point....

Have a Great Locksmith, gate keys all the same, stand keys all the same, cable keys (order a set of cables that way) all the same.  Have three sets for each.  A set in both trucks and then a set in my 4-Wheeler.    @--0--0119

PJ
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NAHC Life
American Legion
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 06:40:48 PM »
I have Brownings and liked them over the Moultries and other brands like that.

When I got the Reconyx HC 500 and Microfire they are my main cameras.

Likely I will donate the Brownings to my Church garage sale when I get ready to move. I have donated a lot of hunting and fishing stuff over the past two years as I declutter my house in preparatiin for the move to Ft. Myers
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital