New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: JC higgins model 80  (Read 351 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
JC higgins model 80
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »
Emily had a rare weekend day off work since she was going to a wedding this afternoon. mon was at her mom's so we had a father daughter morning. we went for breakfast and she left the main event to me. I figured it was time for her to shoot a pistol. I borrowed my dad's .22 JC Higgins. that was a mistake. it was rusty, jammed every shot and shot 2' high. I didn't figure out if the sight was adjustable. it didn't look like it. I SHOULD HAVE WENT TO THE GUN SHOP AND RENTED A PISTOL. I told my dad on dozens of occasions to clean his guns at least once a year. I can only imagine the rest of his guns are in similar shape. that's sad as he has some nice guns.

anyway, we grabbed her savage .22 and went on to play w/ spinners, cans, water bottles.... it was a blast, so to speak. I love plinking. Em got the rust off pretty fast. once she figured out how to make things pop up in the air, things got real interesting. I tried to pop one up and keep it in the air. I was only able to hit one airborne. I guess I had some rust to.

all in all a fun morning. I guess I need to look for a semi auto .22 pistol. any thoughts for a non-jamming pistol? Browning? 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: JC higgins model 80
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
I like my Ruger MKII, target model, with a 6-7/8" barrel. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
The old tried and true Ruger .22s are really tough to beat - don't have one but have never seen a problem with any of those I've shot.  Something like Louie describes with roughly 6" of bull barrel in my opinion is wonderfully balanced & easy to shoot well.  One of my nephews has a Browning Buckmark in that 6" range as well and it is a fine shooter, but a bit more pricey.  I have my Dad's old Colt Challenger - had to give it a complete teardown last year for a deep cleaning as it wasn't behaving and now it's working well again, but that gun is nowhere near as accurate as the others mentioned (lighter weight & shorter barrel probably has a lot to do with it) but within short ranges you can bang tin cans all day long.  Friend of mine has a Ruger SR22 that I got to shoot once.  Have to admit I was skeptical when he pulled it out, but it shot much better than I expected (better than my Colt for sure) although if I wanted one specifically for plinking I'd still go for one of the bull barreled Ruger Mk I/II/III/IV pistols.  Sounds like a great day with your daughter - I need to make the time for some of that before my baby heads off to school in a couple of weeks.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:08:22 PM »
Roger, mine does not have a bull barrel.  I shot one that had a bull barrel on one ocassion, and didn't like it.  The weight of the barrel kept pulling it down.  I have a turkey silhouete that is 7" high,  6" wide, and once I got the range, had no trouble hitting at 30-35 yds, so the slimmer barrel is no handicap. 

Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »
I have a Browning target and like it , but I also have a Taurus 992 tracker that I love , it has the same weight as my 357 Tracker and comes with a second cylinder in 22 mag and the cylinders are quick change .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 08:09:34 PM »
thx guys. I forgot about the rugers. I've shot them and liked them to

as an aside, I talked to dad and I told him to clean his guns. i'm sure they are all pitted. he said his chiro wants to buy his old springfield. his chiro is trying to steal it. I told him to call me before he does anything. he has no clue what guns are worth. I really need to keep an eye on him or he will be giving them away. it's pretty sad.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
Hang in there Yari.  Maybe you should offer to "clean" all of your dad's guns & keep them locked up at your place?  When my Dad decided to get rid of all of his guns he just started giving them to some of the kids (who were interested) at random.  I got a couple that I really wanted, but the little .410 bolt action went to one of my sisters and she will not let it go (and will never shoot it) - my great uncle was a gunsmith and built the stock himself, it was the first gun I hunted with and I'd love to have it.  Dad was good about taking care of them but just didn't shoot any more and with a lot of little grandkids scurrying around wanted to get them out of the house.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »
mad- he is a hoarder. he won't let them go. the only gun he ever gave away was to my lazy liberal brother in law to shoot elk and feed the family. once he got it, he sold it on ebay. that set my dad off. I doubt he will give them away until he's gone. i'm the only hunter left in the immediate family. I bought a gun from him years ago that he won and he charged me $200-$300 more than I could have got it for. I bit my tough and figured I owned it to him for one thing or another. he's very strange about them

good thought though 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
Yari - That old JC Higgins Model 80 was actually made by High Standard and was their model 101...that was a high quality 22 and semi-auto pistol that should not jam. Do You wife father a favor and break it down and clean it for him for a late father day present. Tell him that you want to "borrow" it for a few days then break it down and clean it. I bet you could find a you tube video on cleaning it or something close to it....As far as it is shooting high, cannot help you with that....after cleaning it down the component size! then shoot it again and see if it is still high....humm....If you can find out about the pistol, when and where did he buy it and how much did her pay for it....

Where was this firearm stored at ?? I live in the deep south, so rust is always an issue with the heat and humidity down here....

I own a Ruger Gov Model 22/45 that shoots amazing well, a 22 AMT, Browning Buckmark. Also a bunch of other 22 Mag pistols....Like others on this topic, love the Ruger Gov Model Pistol

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:07:27 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 03:25:13 PM »
bo- he was given this pistol after a buddies wife didn't want a pistol in the house. LOL. his eyes must be going to. he didn't realize it was rusted and there was rust all over. i cleaned it as best i could w/o tearing it down

he doesn't have a safe. he just hides them all over the house. i'm sure he forgot about a few of them
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »
Yari - Part of my parents folks lived in the country a bunch of us had kin folk that live way out there in the country, and they use to put at least a pistol in the walls or pictures on the wall in every room...just in case.....and you are right, when he passes, Lord knows what and where you will find them!!

I would get some steel wool and some oil and try and get some of the rust off, and go on line or even pay for a schematic (3D) drawing of the pistol. Being a High Standard it ought to be worth something...try to find out when and where it was made.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 09:18:48 PM »
bo- if it were mine, I would. I've taken care of several of his things and this is what happens:

this is how it would play out. i'd go through his guns and get them spotless. as soon as they were perfect, he'd sell them or give them to someone that "needed them". he's always been too trusting/ gullible and has been taken on several occasions by folks he barely knew. I never could figure that out. I never got away w/ anything @--0--0105   

it's a no win situation unfortunately
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »
Yea back in my teens I use to be also but not anymore, I never loan my rifles out to anyone!!! Period!!! Most of the hunt clubs members are the same way!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad